New firmware update

Oops…wrong thread @seakayaker.

Thanks Nigel!

Correct the error and moved it over…

Installed the 3.5.1 update on my Nova today following the advice.

Went well without any problems, but when I just it on again, it did the “bzzzt” thing through the speakers, so that isn’t cured.

I’m hoping it may have been a LAN bandwidth issue, my Roon core Mac Mini had connected to an older Airport Express I relocated upstairs rather than the newer Time Capsule downstairs. I hope that was it anyway - my ISP listed many planned service outages in recent days due to planned infrastructure maintenance too, so it could have kicked the router into a slower connection too.

1 Like

Was this after using HDMI?

1 Like

For what it is worth I just started with Roon. During the tryouts before I decided to go for it, I had my Roon Core on WiFi. If I read your comment correctly you do to.

I had some performance issues and a strange background sound before starting online files. Then I wired the Core in with an Ethernet cable and my issues disappeared. That’s also what they recommend.

If you on WiFi try wiring it in, I’d say.

Ooh you have a bzzzt sound too?

Does it sound like this?

Mine is only when I plug in headphones after using HDMI.

Yes, I ought to do that - typically I got the house wired for ethernet a few years ago but didn’t put a socket where I use my Mac Mini most evenings - unfortunately no simple way to run an ethernet cable without trip hazard currently, so will probably just relocate it closer to an ethernet socket and run it headless.

1 Like

Yeah definitely try it wired in. Made a definite difference for me. Some SQ and performance loading things.

I’m actually rather stunned by the sound quality of this latest update.

Using Nova not as intended but as a source via analogue out to my active system, I really am hearing things/nuances I’ve never heard before - noticed it immediately last night with certain B-52’s tracks, and tonight Carol Kidd is in my room, vocals just perfect.

5 Likes

…also assuming the streamer section of the Nova might equate to a £2,000 streamer, it’s giving my recently upgraded LP12 serious competition.

1 Like

That’s really encouraging, I was listening to my Nova last night running 3.5 and was thinking, gosh this sounds really good. It really is a throughly engaging piece of kit.

5 Likes

Mentioned before that when the NDX2 came out I tested against my Nova and it was streets ahead. Planned to upgrade to NDX2 but could not do so immediately.

18 months down the line home demoed again and the gap had narrowed significantly and I felt that the NDX2 would not have been a significant improvement unless I also added an external PSU.

1 Like

Listening to Tony Joe White’s album One Hot July on my Star and feeling the same.

Sure, it’s not the Nova, but it’s damn good for what it is. For me and my listening conditions this machine hits the sweet spot.

Sometimes I complain about the software niggles but rarely a day goes by I don’t spend time with this thing.

5 Likes

I doubt the Star is far off Nova performance sonically, just different specs and output.

The Uniti range is in my view a stunning product group from Naim, the units punch well above their weight.

3 Likes

Yeah they do.

The built in CD ripping was also pretty attractive to me as I grew up when CDs started so still have quite a few. The Star certainly revived some good memories with flair once they were ripped.

Tony Joe White’s is one of my favorite including J.j.cale,Peter Green,Lou reed

2 Likes

Love J.J. Cale too! Gonna check out the others you mention!!!

1 Like

Yes, that’s very close to the noise and duration I get through my speakers.

I have HDMI connected but the system was left on the Digital 1 input when it last did it.

1 Like

Please send a mail to Naim support if you have not done so already. Gain traction for this issue :slight_smile:

As there now seems a few who have experienced something similar it does seem to point at the firmware more as the source. I think…

1 Like