New firmware update

I’ve had screen freezes since day one, almost a year now. It never gets fixed. I don’t think I’ve ever had an evening of listening without some kind of glitch.

That’s not good, kind of dents both your experience and confidence. I’ve had the odd problem with the screen on my Atom since day one. I generally have it off to avoid the disappointment and frustration.

Sorry, I hadn’t realized that. Perhaps you could send the device back to Naim for a check? It is finally under warranty and does not work as it should.

I think you should contact Naim tech support or talk with your dealer - if you’re still getting screen freeze even with the latest firmware that may indicate a possible hardware fault that should be investigated.

3 Likes

I had screen freeze issues on my Nova since purchase in May 2019 with all firmware versions including 3.4.

I joined the Beta testers in March this years & ran all 14 Beta versions of 3.5 with no issues at all.

Admittedly I was only interested in the screen freeze problem so was not aware of other issues suffered by some over what I would consider minor problems & operational quirks with a couple of other features. I have a few radio stations saved as favourites which appear to have become ‘pre-sets’ (or visa versa) but , so far, have no need of playlists & such like so I have not bothered to find out exactly how they work & how they can & cannot be manipulated. When I have a spare month or two I will try to find & understand the difference between Favourites & Pre-sets.

I installed the release version of 3.5 as soon as it was available & the re-boot issue occurred twice in 3 weeks but no screen freezes.

I then installed 3.5.1 within a day of it becoming available & have not experienced any screen freezes, re-boots or other problems since.

No problems here. NDX 2 working faultless throughout. Sounds fantastic. Great job to all those involved. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Screen freezes here to. I rolled back to 3.4 again too many issues with 3.5 it does not like my Atom at all. Been fine and dandy since rolling back, no screen freeze, no not booting up correctly after power down. Also think it sounds better to me.

I keep being amazed by the differences we all experience with the same software version on similar hardware. For me 3.5 had small issues and 3.5.1 works perfectly on the Atom. Sound quality I am not sure about, sometimes I think 3.4 sounded ‘more open’, but then again I think I am just making that up.

2 Likes

I much prefer 3.4 sq more natural and less forced.

I get the same feeling of uncertainty when listening to FW ‘updates’. You think you hear a difference but then immediately question your so-called assessment.

I think it is the intangible nature of FW that causes doubts in my mind. With hardware upgrades you can ‘conceptualise’ what is going on with a perceived improvement. Can’t do that with rows and rows of code.

3 Likes

Exactly this.

And the opposite as well. I have heard zero difference in the sound in the last upgrade while others laud it as a huge improvement.

Not being to downgrade and run a compare makes it especially hard as it is comparing a mental image of what the previous firmware (that one was most likely unhappy with due to other faults) sounded like the last time you played if before the 10 minute update.

1 Like

Today I turn on the system, as is mandatory first the NDX2 and then the NuVista 600, I select a favorite radio station from the remote, Antenne Bayern Coffee Music, to play background chillout music while working in some tasks, and… And no music at all, any music, nor radio stations, nor diskstation, nor Tidal… The NDX2 working well from the remote, and the sources apparently playing well, but no sound, just silence…

Well, I try the CD player into the NuVista, all right, the NuVista works perfectly; I check the connections, all right… Conclusion: NDX2 hard reboot, I unplug the device, I take the rigorous tea, I plug the device back in again and…, everything in order again.

At the very least, such erratic behavior on a device of this level and price is still terrible; If it wasn’t a machine I’d say it has a life of its own and it’s quite capricious…

1 Like

Update: No issues with 3.5.1 since available on my ND555. No reboots, no screen freezes (yet) and SQ is good.

1 Like

Shocking…

2 Likes

…the “rigorous tea” is probably not necessary…

2 Likes

Most likely not for the device but … perhaps for the user?

2 Likes

But was it English Breakfast tea?

1 Like

As for me it’ll be a Diet Coke and a hundred pushups! :grin:

2 Likes

NDX2 updated without any issues, automatically. No reboot or anything, it just seemed to go OK.
Uniti Atom exactly the same - no issues updating.
Both are now playing normally, but I never had any issues with the last firmware that I noticed either…

2 Likes

Nova updated quite quickly and without any problems so far. Does anyone know if Nova’s software allows the user to change the picture of the various inputs? I.e. is there like a turntable icon that i can assign to the connection where I have attached the TT?

1 Like