New Focal & Naim App

I don’t understand the glacial pace of app change.

We have agile apps teams at work, offshore of course. Minor app changes appear, fully tested, in a matter of days and bigger enhancements in weeks.

Joined these forums around two years ago and the clamour for a more modern app UI with silly bugs fixed plus basics like gesture based grid sizing has been palpable.

Can’t understand why very little has changed in that time with the app, other than a rebranding and addition of useless video clips.

There have been various feature request threads, all ignored it seems.

4 Likes

Is compatibility with older devices such as UnitiQute being gradually lost?
Since the last couple of upgrades, I have been having trouble with the App finding my media server.
No matter which flavour: LMS, Minim, Plex, the App spends ages in limbo with no indication of progress then either suddenly finds a server …or not! Often an App restart is the only way to get a result.
All/any server software runs on my Synology DS718+.

Apologies if this is revamping an old topic.

I also think the Naim App needs more love and attention from Naim, and the only redesign we had for some time was the Focal / Naim integration.

For me the app is a very important feature of a streamer or a brand, and I liked to see it evolve a little more also.

But at least is stable enough to be used and there are worse supplied apps unfortunately

I compare the naim app to the one that drives my bluesound node. Million miles apart.
The bs one is instant. Feedback to the app instant. The feedback to my naim app from my ndx2 or muso is slow. Often takes 10 seconds of going back into the app to update what it is now playing. I used to think it was my network, but it can’t be.

3 Likes

That’s not entirely true, but in general I agree that seemingly very little has been picked up. Including a lot of low-hanging fruit that a good developer could probably do a whole bunch of in a single day. (So plus testing etc. 2-3 days of work total?)

So much more than (big) new features, why not spend some time picking up a few small improvements? Small in effort, but they will make users happy. Like @MikeD’s sidebar issue or the reconnect and wake-up issue me and others have reported many times.

But apart from that, I’d really like to see some effort to create feature parity between the iOS and Android versions. I still don’t understand how even though Naim was pretty much the last app to get lock/notification widgets at the time, two and a half years later there’s still no sign of it on Android.

2 Likes

I get a feeling that the Naim software engineers are more “at home” to work on iOS platform than android.

I’m using iPad, iphone and android on Samsung Note to control the my home audio (Naim, BlueOS and Sonos), works very well on all, except a little glitches from time to time on my Samsung (android) when using NaimFocal app. Even on my old iphone 6s, Naim app works beautifully, but not as smooth on my Samsung android although it’s actually much newer device (Samsung Notes 20).

1 Like

You know you’re out of line here. If you can’t be helpful, find a thread that you know something about. I’m surprised @Richard.Dane hasn’t deleted your posts yet …

4 Likes

Whether you agree or not (clearly not, in this instance), it’s an opinion being expressed here regarding this OS. No rule has been broken, so I cannot see the need to delete the post.

However, I have had to edit your post to remove the somewhat ad hominem implied remark.

1 Like

Not sure what’s at fault here, but for the past several days the app on my iPhone 12 has had trouble finding all three of my Naim streaming products. Generally, 2 out of 3 show up immediately, but the other doesn’t show up for 30 seconds or longer. Sometimes I’ve had to restart my iPhone.

This is not tied to any particular Naim product, nor does it happen every time, but it happens most of the time. I have a MuSo 2, a Nova, and an ND5 XS2. Both the MuSo and Nova have had the problem. Maybe the ND5, but less frequently. All are connected via Ethernet. I have not seen the problem using any of my 3 other iOS devices. I have the latest software, and I deleted and downloaded the Focal & Naim app this morning.

There were some posts on a similar problem recently, but I thought the problem had been cured.

pathetic comment

“thats your problem” is stating an incorrect fact not an opinion.

I’m not in a position to judge whether it’s fact or not, however the member here appears to have expressed the opinion that it is the OS that is at the root of the problem.

To be clear, in my opinion the fact that the Android OS does not cope well with hardware variations between phones is indeed likely to be a reason that some people see problems with the Android app that do not exist with the IOS app.

My opinion is that the android OS is rubbish and I wouldn’t ever use it again but I recognise that some people are happy with it, which is fine.

4 Likes

Now that was no problem David. It was jus that your initial post on the topic was insulting to android users, as if we are just stupid, and it was absolutely dripping with disdain.
I though it was very unlike you to be so single-minded on so general an item. I usually quite like your posts and it seemed out of character.

David

3 Likes

Hello all !

I did notice something but I am not 100% sure it happened from the new version of the App.
Let me explain :
Depending on some MP3 albums, some tracks offer the possibility to “READ this track” (mean, listen to this track only), some others allow an extra possibility “READ FROM this track” (mean, listen to full album).

What is the reason this option appears or not ?
One more time, I cannot exclude it happened with former versions of the App, the fact is I noticed first time with “Focal&Naim” App.

Many thanks for your helping answer,
Bertrand

Maybe some of your MP3s are one long track for the whole album instead of one track for each song?

If you have an album that only offers you the chance to play the one track, does it stop after the first song?

I know it has been about a month and a half since the app was released, but I am just getting around to updating and listening. Everything seems to work beautifully on my iPhone 13, iPad Pro, and Naim devices. As it generally has for me in the past. No glitches on local streaming or Qobuz. And I do like the pictures of my Nova and Mu-So. Otherwise, I detect no real differences, which I know is the idea right now. And as a Naim and Focal owner, I certainly have no issues with the co-branding of the app. I know there are a lot of negative reactions on this thread, so I just wanted to provide a counterpoint. I will point out, to the extent relevant, that I have very stable Internet via gigabit fiber and Eero Pro mesh Wi-Fi, as well as house-wide Cat 6 from a Luxul 16-port gigabit switch. My Nova and Mu-So are actually connected via Wi-Fi, as I didn’t notice any difference in sound quality wiring them up with decent Ethernet cables, and keeping them Wi-Fi reduces cable clutter. So, I’m a satisfied Naim/Focal app user.

2 Likes

Hello David.
Thanks for your answer.
For sure, my album is set of several MP3’s, not only one …
And I confirm when only “Read this track” appears, only the selected MP3 runs and after, no more reading.
And when “Reak from this track” appears, all the MP3’s from this album are read one after the other.

Hope it helps you.
Thanks again,
Bertrand

A thought.

Maybe when you see Read from this track, it means that the app/server recognizes that the track is part of an album. When it doesn’t, it means that the app/server doesn’t recognize this - say, because the album has multiple artists, and the tracks are stored in separate folders.

1 Like

Hello Jegreenwood.

Many thanks for your idea which was an excellent one :slight_smile:
You were right, the album had 2 values for the album names.
I corrected to merge into 1 single value and now, I am able to read from this track …

That’s perfect !
I know I have to check for my other albums in case when I encounter this issue …

Many thanks again,
Bertrand

One last question :
Is there any possibility to read tracks from ND5XS ordered by track number instead of ordered by titles ?
In such case, I do delete titles with The GodFather (which I used for above concern) and then they all are read by track number.
I have never seen in instructions book how to read by tracks instead of by titles.
Thanks one more time if you can answer this !

Sincerly yours,
Bertrand

2 Likes