New Focal & Naim App

First - I have an ND5 XS2, so my experience may be different from yours. Are your files on an NAS or other media server, a direct connection with a USB drive, or something else?

Thanks Again !

ND5XS is connected to upnp via wifi and all mp3 are in the upnp.

When I select an album via nd5xs through upnp source, all contens of album is read ordered by title if metadata for title is not empty field.

When metadata for title is empty, then, nd5xs read the album ordered by track number …

I guess through usb process will be the same but I never tried because I don’t use usb with my nd5xs …

I always delete title metadata if not empty to avoid listening to this album in a different order than track order …

I did not find any option in nd5xs telling read by track number or by title name …

I do hope it helps for a better comprehension …

Thanks again !
Bertrand

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does the metadata field “track” have valid entries? If not, you can use an MP3 metadata editor like MP3Tag to update it

1 Like

I know i rattled on about it further up this thread, but…
The bluesound app driving my node ( into a 72/hc/250) is instant. Absolutely instant.
Currently selecting random tracks from my nas/asset and it is as if it knows what im about to select. Zero delay in getting that next track, and instant feedback to the app on my 'phone. Same if i get tunes from qobuz.
When i do the same exercise with my ndx2 and naim app, oh dear…

I’ll go ahead and jinx myself but using the Naim app on my iPad and iPhone I get excellent response using search, starting/pause, and navigating between Qobuz and NAS.

The only time problems have occurred has been at the time of software updates. They usually get sorted but can be an inconvenience.

1 Like

Same here @seakayaker I’m always puzzled by some of these issues and wonder if some are operator error or network problems. Either way it’s mighty frustrating when things don’t work the way they’re meant to.

1 Like

Im using the same network and same operator with bluesound and naim. One is immediate, the other rather slow.

Operator or network? :rofl::rofl:

Hello GadgetMan.
Thanks for taking some time to answer …

I use “The GodFather” as metadata editor.
Most of the time I process that way :

• First, with The GodFather, I copy “Title” metadata into “FileName” metadate and I prefix the filename with the number of the track.
    Example : first track of album has “bla bla” on Title. Then FileName metadata will get “01 - Bla bla” and Track contens 01.
  • Second, I empty the “Title” metadata.

Then, ND5XS will read album by track number, and first song will be “01 - Bla bla” …

For me, the concern is only about “Title” metadata which has priority on “Track” metadata when reading the album. If Title is empty, then Track is used.

For sure, all of my mp3’s have correct track values which are only numbers from 1 to N depending album.

And last, there are never silly questions ! :grin:

Thanks for your helping proposal !

Has someone else experienced this with ND5XS ?

Yours,
Bertrand

With a properly working UPnP server the track name has no effect on the played order. What UPnP server is it?

For me this is the best version of the IOS app ever. I’m using NDX and a NAS to stream locally. I don’t use Tidal etc.

I had issues when first updated iPhone 11 to IOS16, being slow to find my NAS, just like other users reported.

That was then resolved with the last app update and now it seems quicker than ever. No glitches etc. Very surprised it’s created such a furore.

Hello Guinnless.

Thanks for answer.
My UpNp is a very standard, synology DS214+ and Western Digital. Means I have 2 servers with my mp3 inside.
Whatever the one I use, result is the same …

For a better comprehension, I have to say I wrongly spoke about “track” metadata.
In reality, I wanted to speak about filename itself.

Sorry for all who spent time to answer me :wink:

So, I explain again :

• If “Title” metadata is not empty, whatever UpNp, the ND5XS will read the album by “Title”, means, alphabetic order, which is not standard order …
  • If “Title” metadata is empty, then, the ND5XS will read the album by “FileName”, means, standard order because “FileName” of the MP3 is always “Track” + “Title” (example “01 - First.mp3”, “02 - Second.mp3” …). I always set the filename that way through Windows.

The problem is that ND5XS reads album by title by default if title metadata is not empty. ND5XS reads album by filename if title is empty.

I did not see any option in ND5XS menu for reading albums by filename by default …
Always titles by default …
As a consequence, for being able to read albums in the correct order, I have to empty the title metadata.

My brother owns a Cambridge audio streamer.
In the setup menu, there is an option which says “read by title or read by track”.
So, he does not have this concern, lucky him :crazy_face:

May be Naim’s development team should be able to add this kind of option in next ND5XS operating version :shushing_face:

I do hope it is clearer now.
Sorry for David, Jegreenwood & GadgetMan for not having been so clear …

Thanks in advance for your helpfull answers …
Bertrand

Neither of those are UPnP servers, this may be a misunderstanding of what a UPnP server is. And your symptoms are what you’d get if you are not using a UPnP server or one that isn’t very good.
A very popular UPnP server used by many on here including me is “dBPoweramp Asset”, this is highly configurable but the default settings work well. Of course the basic metadata still needs to be correct i.e. title, artist,track order and track name; the filenames are then irrelevant.

Regarding the mp3s and metadata: Are these mp3s ripped from CDs?

I’ve ripped hundreds of CDs and purchased loads of digital downloads and any very occasional metadata errors are a easily and quickly fixed.

This is my view of Asset.

Could be worth adding that a upnp server is a piece of software that runs on a computer, such as the one in your NAS or potentially on any computer that is connected to your network.

1 Like

Dear Guinnless & David.
Sorry, but I don’t understand what you say … :cry:

All I know is that my “Disk which contens the MP3’s” is connected to my box with ethernet cable and the ND5XS is connected with Wifi.

While seeking for an album through ND5XS menu from UpNp, I always select “by folder”, and when I read an album, tracks are read ordered by Title if Title is not empty and read by filename if Title is empty.

As I prefer listen to an album ordered by filename (because it reflects the ordrer of the album), I empty the Title metadata with The GodFather. That’s all.

In order to avoid emptying all titles metadatas, I just wondered if there was not an hidden secret option in ND5XS menus to say “read by filename” instead of “read by title” (which seems default and unique possibility in ND5XS, opposite of the Cambridge Audio which allows to choose one of the 2 options with menus) …

I don’t use any software or so and, all the more, my computer is always OFF while listening to an album with ND5XS …

I think it should be an opportunity to Naim developers team to add such option in menu inside ND5XS …

Many thanks :clap: :+1: to all who tooke some time to discuss with me, I really appreciate !

Have all an excellent day,
Bertrand

The Synology DS214+ is a NAS (which means Network Attached Storage). Presumably your Western Digital box is also a NAS. Inside a NAS is a computer and a hard disc drive.

The Naim app talks to the upnp server and tells it to serve the music you have selected. Basically it also displays the album data that the server has sent to it. So your issue is likely an issue with the upnp server rather than the Naim app. It’s not a problem that people are widely reporting.

Probably both Synology and the WD are running a very basic upnp server. What we are suggesting is that you should use a better more capable upnp server such as dBPoweramp Asset. You could Google Asset and also look at Synology and WD websites to find out about running software on their NASs. That’s probably going to work better than one of us trying to explain from scratch.

Anyway welcome to the world of network-accessed music!

2 Likes

I can confirm all David says
I have Synology DS214, its preinstalled ‘Media Server’ UPnP software is OK but is very basic giving more or less file folder view browsing and in some cases not playing some features correctly.
It can be significantly improved with Asset (& also another software package called Minimserver).
These UPnP programs browse from the albums metadata which gives the user so many browse & selection options, by Album, Artist, Composer, Genre & more, and multiple combinations of all and more.
It transforms the browsing experience.

4 Likes

My rather old WD server, which I purchased as a file server, came with Twonky media server. I tried it with my Naim streamers, and it did work, but I didn’t care for it. Some research indicated that either Asset or Minimserver can’t remember which) would not run on my WD. I ended up using JRiver and a USB drive on an older, dedicated computer.

Aha!

I think the solution is to use the Track number field and neither the file name field (even if the file name begins with the track number) nor the Title field. Offhand, I cannot recall a music file that does not include the field.

If I want to play an album in its original order, I just select the album and hit play. All of the several media servers I’ve used over the years will automatically play in the order of track number.

Maybe you could post a screenshot of GodFather showing the information it displays for a single album.

Jegreenwood.

We have same hardware, at least for 1 disk.
As I wrote, I owned a WD server which runs under “TwonkyMedia”. I agree it works fine.

From ND5XS (not the Focal&Naim App, the ND5XS itself), while listening to an album :
The album runs ordered by “Title” if “Title” metadata is not empty.
The album runs ordered by filename (the name of the MP3 file under Windows) if “Title” metadata is empty.
The ND5XS config menus does not allow me to choose any option to read the album on a specific order.

My brother owns the same WD and use a Cambridge Audio streamer instead of ND5XS.
His Cambridge Audio allows him to choose read ordered by Title or read ordered by filename.
That’s all I want … :grinning:

Anyway, to avoid the read ordered by title (which is always alphabetic order), I have “emptied” all “Title” metadatas on all my MP3 by using TheGodFather and now, reading an album through ND5XS (not by the App.) makes the album read in the correct order.

That’s why I can"t display, as you ask me, a photo of such album. All have now “Title” metadatas empty …

If cambridge allows such option menu, I was guessing Naim should be able too :wink:

Anyway, when I put a new MP3 album in my WD and DS214+, I first empoty the “Title” metadata of all tracks to avoid the issue …
As simple as it is …

Many thanks again for your time you spent for me !
Higly appreciable !

Yours,
Bertrand