New Focal & Naim App

You can’t use the remote to browse upnp on a Nova or ND5 XS2, but you can on a ND5 XS.

1 Like

Does this release 6.0.3 for iOS require the user to reject the privacy agreement on each launch of the app (as the beta version does)? I am still keeping 5.24 alive as my preferred public release version, so don’t wish to lose it if the latest public release suffers the same fault.

No.

But neither did the beta for me. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t decline the privacy agreement?

Thanks, David. I have asked the question again through the beta forum as I suppose it could be related to my setup.

the latest iOS update (16.1.2) has brought back delay in the app finding the melco music store. Had been fine since about a week or two after the original problems arose

All the below relates to the iOS version

1. Since the update loading the lists of artists, songs etc appears way slower. With several thousands songs titles to load this is now irritating slow. it was never fast, but now it crawls - It takes around 10 minutes to load!!. Network is unchanged and function perfectly. UPNP server unchanged and functions perfectly.

2. Often the screens showing artists, songs etc are just blank and I have to exit the screen and go back before it starts loading information

3. Rolling back to the previous App would be the best solution for me right now. Why not have a separate App in the store for Focal & Naim, and the original Naim one. It’s not hard to come up with a strategy around this - keep the current Focal and Naim entry in the App store and inform users via your website that the previous App is available

4. Once day it would be really nice if you introduce some form of progressive load so I can at least try and search for a track/artist/album without that killing the list from loading. As part of this type of approach The text info could load first, and then a second pass loads the image data - this would certainly relieve the frustration of having to plan 10 minutes in advance I want to listen to track X that i’ve just been discussing with a friend over dinner

5. I know software development is extremely expensive but some core improvements like the above would change using the App feel like a chore to become at least acceptable

Having lived with the newish Focal Naim app it now annoys me to the point I am considering moving away from Naim after 25 plus years. I bought Naim not Focal Naim. Just give us an option please.

1 Like

I expect some of the comparatively few Focal owners who use the app & don’t have Naim might feel the same. An artwork selection option would be nice.

2 Likes

I am wondering if some people are seeing something different to me. Apart from the fact the widget has “Focal & naim” on it (and is too small for me to read anyway :slightly_smiling_face:) and a black screen flashes up with the same wording for about 1/4 second, everything else is purely Naim and works in the same way it has always done with the addition of the pictures of the equipment.

Are others seeing more Focal related screens?

6 Likes

I don’t have any problems using the app on an iPhone with Tidal and a Unitiserve with 3,600 cds on the hard drive. Very fast. Like @PW42 I rarely see the Focal/Naim screen and it doesn’t bother me.

Is anyone experiencing issues with updated up? Music is dropping out frequently and annoyingly has now started not to show all my devices when I want to put it party mode. This happens every time when I use my phone on USB to stream Apple Music to my Qb and then I cannot use party mode to stream to the other devices as only one shows up. This never happened before the update. I have reinstalled the app a number of times.

Thanks in advance Steve

Steve, do you mean multi-room when you mention party mode?
iPhone or iPod can airplay to Muso / Qb - what are the other devices to which you refer - no info in your profile.
IIRC the issue of iPhone via USB has been mentioned previously and it is an Apple issue legacy v next gen streamers.

Just checking back here to see whether there has been any improvement, but it appears not…

For the benefit of any Naim folks reading, I love your products and have upgraded a lot of my system recently 282/300DR. Next on my list is a replacement for my NDX and to be honest, what was previously a slam dunk NDX2, is now in question. This is entirely due to the extremely poor experience I’m having with the Naim app…
I don’t care what it’s called or what picture I see when it loads, I just want it to work.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes I do mean multi room mode. I have 2 Qb’s 1st Gen, 1 Muso 1st Gen and a ND5XS. The app used to work ok, but maybe the upgrade of iOS 16 has proved its Achilles heal

@CatalystV12V @Burgy100

Both phone and tablet I use are on iOS 15.7, no probs. Right at the start of this thread it was noted that there were issues with iOS 16.*
If you have already updated, that doesn’t help now, but in such situation, Naim can only attempt to catch up if Apple have made unannounced changes.
Best to email support if you are still having issues with full details of control point and network.
In case you haven’t, try closing the app and the powering off the control point(s). Then restart your modem, leaving a period before restarting control point.

@sound-hound , thanks for your response. I’ve tried loads of things over the last couple of months. It works of a fashion , but as the front end to system that’s 20k plus it’s a pretty poor show.
I know there were issues , but this has been going on for far too long. Even if/when it is sorted the Naim App is still a poor UX. I guess this is because they’re relying on people signing up for Roon or similar.
As I said, I love my Naim kit, the App is the Achilles heel…

I raised a support ticket… was told 6.0.1 (?) would fix it. I think we’re on 6.0.3 now…

Again I appreciate your input, thank you!!

Thank you soundhound with your reply, it’s much appreciated, although the tone of your reply isn’t. I must of missed it in the numerous responses, for which I apologise. I have restarted everything in order and left all of the units unplugged for 30 mins before hooking them back up again. Will persue answer with NAIM.

Steve I didn’t intend to offend, I was merely trying to highlight Apple’s iOS update. As a member of the beta team, we all try and spot issues during the test cycle. We are requested to refrain from discussing testing and I intend to respect that. I have however just posted a note to the software team with an outline and reference to this part of the thread.

@CatalystV12V you may be interested in part of above.

Slider control for Favourites lists on Android devices PLEASE.