New Focal & Naim App

One thing that always bugged me is why the units need to be off 30 minutes, when a restart on every other unit on the market is sufficient.

I see this many times on the forum and makes no sense to me, but for sure it must be a reason for this recommendation…

Every streamer is a small computer, a simple restart makes the startup sequence start from scratch.

Other thing is that the app should work if no network issues are present, if bugs are present they should be correct them as fast as possible to make the experience a good one.

The provided app is one of the most important functionalities of any streamer hardware, and the Naim provided one needs more attention from them. For me the app need to evolve more on the interface looks and easy to navigate and understand the interface, I Am sure Naim had have a look at the Innous app and gone in a similar look the users would be very happy.

Roon is another story, great, expensive, needs more resources and the total dependence on a constant web connection is not kind of them.

The need for 30 mins off time is …… let’s be polite & say it’s not required.
The only thing that needs to be off for a time is a broadband hub reboot, that’s enough time for the ISP to log that the hub is off so when it’s restarted it’s lost previous links & started a new licence period.
This can take a few seconds, or maybe minutes, 5 mins is more than enough

1 Like

Re the 30min thing, the only thing i can think of is perhaps some power supply components need that time to fully discharge? Or there’s a Naim reason not revealed (yet)
Martin

1 Like

Personally I ignore the 30 minute thing. Unless you really need your router to get a new ip address, which is a router/broadband issue and nothing to do with Naim, then imho one minute without power is more than enough to get a proper restart from pretty well anything that Naim makes.

2 Likes

Just wanted to report in and say that since I got a Core again at the weekend it shows up immediately in the app. The Melco had started being temperamental in the last couple of weeks for some reason taking 30s or so to appear.

And tweaking the Core metadata via the app is sooooo simple and I am delighted I have ditched the Melco

4 Likes

Just don’t mention the DVD5 :rofl:

I had one of those! I used it as a CD player. It was a great sounding player.

Hi All, have been using the new Focal/Naim app for a couple of days (new ND555). All of the album tracks from my server (currently my PC) are listed alphabetically and I would like to move to the regular track order on the server. I have read the posts about the A-Z icon in the IOS version of the old app but no joy yet. When I drag down at the top of the screen I just get the Apple notifications centre! Any help gratefully received!

You are dragging down from too high up the screen. Put your finger a couple of cm from the top of the screen and pull down a few cm, then release.

You shouldn’t be swiping at all. And not from the edge of the screen. In this respect the current Focal/Naim app is identical to previous Naim apps.

Many thanks. I have found the A-Z icon in the ‘All Music’ folder but not in the others. When I change the setting, it changes the order of the tracks in the ‘All Music’ folder but the tracks within each album are still listed alphabetically, rather than as per the original album. I think I must be missing something.

A-Z is in the all albums listing.

I think this is a problem of your upnp server rather than the Naim app. What upnp server software are you running on your PC?

Thanks again. I think you are right. I am using the basic windows 10 server currently as a stop gap and on reflection I think that is the problem. When I had my 272, I used the Asset UPnP and I think I need to get that set up again. Will do that before taking peoples time again!

I really think that will solve your problems. Asset works properly!

1 Like

You were right. All fine with Asset. Latest version now installed and ordering of tracks and displays of album art all good on iPhone and ND555. Many thanks David. :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Just reset my uniti and now all my inputs are in French, very clear who is running this deal lol.

4 Likes

Richard, would you mind sharing what generation and memory capacity iPhone you have? - I’m wondering if my rather dated iPhone is the cause of my problems as you have a similarly large number of song as I do.

Hi Dave, iPhone 12, 64gb with about 10gb free.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Richard - sounds like it could be my dated iPhone. I’m planning to update my iPhone so hopefully that will alleviate the slowness issue I face.

Dave

I’ve got about 3,600 albums on a Unitiserve. It takes about 20 seconds for them to load from reopening the app.

Recently updated to ios 16.2 from 15.7 if I use apple music/spotify or airplay in qobuz/tidal I get play/pause on the lock screen. If I use tidal connect/qobuz chromecast/or the naim/focal app I get nothing on the lock screen. I tried the add widget thing on the lock screen and got nothing for naim/focal app. Any idea how to get up play/pause for the naim app on the lock screen?