New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I just saw my first Solstice. It’s very pretty and well-made, like the expensive Clearaudios rather than the cheaper ones perhaps. However, I was not greatly surprised that the chap applying himself diligently to my LP12 didn’t seem to think it worth me listening to it. I have Karousel, Core, Ekos, Krystal and Superline.

One thing that a lot of us seem to be agreeing about is the arm. If Naim continue making any of the Solstice package, it is surely the arm where there is likely to be demand,

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more @NickofWimbledon Seems like a really obvious move to me - I’m sure it would sell very well.

Maybe as an incentive they might give you a free dust cover. :grin:

Ha - I’m not sure how many came into Australia but I would guess maybe 2 or 3

Probably still sitting on the shelves

In special edition Naim grey….

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: all it takes is a can of paint.

1 Like

But that would affect the sound :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

The ARO 2 is an excellent arm Nick but if the deck itself was weak then why does my Solstice with DVXV1T sound superb? Roy George played a major role in the design of both deck and arm and it is evident. The Equinox cartridge design had a minor Roy influence but is fundamentally a Clearaudio. It’s good but not great IMO and the Solstice phono stage powered by the TT P/S (providing a dual role) similar and is clearly bettered by Superline/Supercap.

I am reliably informed that the ARO 2 is too heavy to be fitted to the Linn without a major design change which isn’t going to happen. Having done a “bake off” of LP12 Klimax v Solstice SE and then a couple of months later the same LP12 against my upgraded Solstice I’d say that not many Klimax owners will be selling their decks to buy the SE. However it will be a shame if Naim and Clearaudio don’t collaborate and split up the Solstice package for purchase. After all vinyl sales are at a 30 year high right now so surely there is sufficient demand for a top notch deck and arm which when used with a superior cartridge and phono stage altered the result of the “bake off” to the two sets of ears present.

By way of adding credence to my opinion Jas Gould told me during a chat three weeks ago that another Solstice owner has made the same changes to it that I have. He’s delighted with the upgraded combo also.

3 Likes

I think, as was voiced early doors in the original Solstice thread, it’s probably not a product a high/medium-spec LP12 owner, who only wants a single TT, would be interested in – especially if you have a Superline. Used LP12 prices can be very soft (better to strip & sell) and why buy a TT with a dedicated phono-amp plus, as good as the cartridge is, you may already have a not-exactly-cheap one on the LP12? — which may/may not fit the new ARO head. The overall ‘cost’ would be >£20k,in getting a marginally better (arguable of course) TT.

I’m sure many of us would look at the deck & arm/PS combo and may be prepared to entertain the financial pain (mad as we are!), and the deck is probably (perhaps definitely/marginally?) better than a high-spec LP12 (obvious what @Cohen1263 thinks :slight_smile: )…but it seems it ain’t gonna happen :frowning_face:

1 Like

I think the chaps near Felixstowe have one that they want to move on as well.

1 Like

Hard to argue @HappyListener. Of course if they have designed the Aro2 so that it won’t fit an LP12 ( but will fit some other TTs), then perhaps we can guess that they don’t plan to do the arm alone.

1 Like

Thing is, how many people would want the new ARO? Not many I’d suggest e.g. would it supplant existing Ekos SE’s and existing AROs?

SME don’t market the V on its own any more.

Well I wouldn’t HL

I have both the Ekos SE and the ARO

They are both wonderful

Enough for me

Case proven m’lud :grinning:

Ha

Just spotted an ex-dem Solstice, available at a dealer in Leicestershire…

Can one assume that like cars, dealers have a credit line to fund high cost demo equipment. If that credit low/free interest period comes to an end then perhaps there will be a number of ex demo kit coming up? That and the expected upcoming recession may make some dealers jittery about holding on to expensive stock.

I don’t think it’s about dealers being jittery. There is no point having a demo unit of a product that isn’t being produced and all manufactured units have been sold. It’s not like you can go and order one, so why have a demo unit hanging around the shop. They may as well recoup their outlay for it.

12 Likes

It’s a limited run, so I suspect ClearAudio know the situation, more realistically they have just released their own similarly priced TT @ around £17 k , so a Solstice 2 would be a direct competitor to themselves.

1 Like

I guess if Naim are nearing the end of the 500 then dealers will sell off the demo models.

1 Like