New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That is a real shame. Solstice is very special and I was hoping to see it manufactured for a long time. Reading the tea leaves I suspect Clearaudio may not want to continue making them, I’m sure supply chain issues played a significant role.

If anyone has the opportunity to purchase a Solstice I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

Ditto

Stop it, you are not helping!

1 Like

I didn’t think Naim’s autonomy was so constrained :confused:

I’m one of the “strong silent type” Solstice owners. I’m not a turntable hobbyist; I’m not interested in swapping out cartridges etc etc. I did well with Rega for that reason and I’ve taken the same approach with the Solstice. Set it up and just play records.

My Solstice setup is still factory-standard. As such I do enjoy the music it makes more than when I had the Rega P10/Apheta3. Just down to preferences of presentation.

8 Likes

I agree with the philosophy Bart, as long as Naim can supply carts for the foreseeable future. I would like to see them offer other phono stage options though, matching the new look

Anyone with a tape measure and solstice able to tell me how much space would be needed from the front of the table to the wall (including brandy) if one needed to mount it on a wall shelf? (Asking for a friend :wink: )

Several months ago people were saying oh no because it was outsourced. Does every serious hi-fi company have to have a turntable on offer. I suppose it checked that box at least for a short time

Ok so I did get some good advise regarding overcoming the 62mm only clearance from arm din plug to FRAIM glass for changing the arm cable. Back in the day Naim tried 10mm Aluminum platforms on the FRAIM and they were actually better sonically than the glass. If I can source a fabricator then I can request a hole directly below arm cable exit. I will be making enquires. The arm cable that comes with the Solstice is just a Clearaudio one and as a couple of the US members have found can be improved upon

Add to that Clearaudio turntable prices have gone way up, in part due to supply constraints. That should have a significant impact on any further collaboration with Naim.

As I recall, the news that it was built in collaboration with Clearaudio seemed to generate essentially universal praise.

It’s not too hard to figure out that Naim would be quite challenged to build from the ground up a facility to manufacture turntables. A collaboration certainly made sense and, again, their choice of partner was/is a net positive for sure.

1 Like

I agree. Partnering with Clearaudio on design/manufactor was a brilliant move, IMO. Clearaudio’s quality, fit and finish is every bit as good as Naim’s.

1 Like

There is mention on the forum about that, particularly the reason Naim didn’t use aluminium in production was the cost of producing the shelves to the required quality. I’d be wary of any piece of 10mm aluminium sheet, though I have no idea what tolerances Naim were actually working to that were so prohibitively expensive

Well I will factor in the cost but the advise came from two of the top guys at Naim so pitching that against forum advise is a no brainer.

1 Like

Aye, as I wrote it I figured they designed the Fraim for black boxes, not the Solstice, I suspect it is a bit more tolerant. I really meant to post for info, rather than coming across as advice, sorry

1 Like

That is in my mind unbelievable. Sounds a bit like an architect forgetting to put a door in a building after it was built. Oh well

Hardly. More like someone wanting to put in a wider door and being surprised they have to cut a bigger hole in the wall!

2 Likes

Sorry maybe I missed something. Maybe not an issue with the standard package then

I hope not😉

Having said that there are a number of issues if you try to change things that should have been anticipated.

1 Like

The issues are not insurmountable though. Three washers overcame the cartridge/ tonearm mounting issue and counterweight setting. The magnetic bias can be and will be overcome with a stronger magnet which will counter the extra inertia (skating) created by a lighter cartridge. Only the guys like me who own the deck and have improved the cartridge and phono stage appreciate just how excellent the deck can be.