New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That is quite funny. Using a stainless steel that corrodes. I suspect it is a lower grade such as 304. Just about qualifies as stainless, just so long as the environment does not contain oxygen or dampness !
But, if naim say it sounds better than a half decent grade such as 316 then so be it. It must be true.

1 Like

It’s also much cheaper to buy, and much cheaper to machine as its much softer.
Also, I can’t see how it would affect sound, as the parts are connected with some normal threaded rod, sandwiched between the mdf ?
I would have thought it would all have to be the same material to effect the sound.

2 Likes

Cost is the main reason to choose 304.

1 Like

I think you are right great roberto.

We have to use 316 fittings and fixings in our garden - 304 tarnishes over time, which was an expensive lesson to learn… Annoying - there is indeed quite a difference in price.

No idea how or why it might sound different. Anyone got some hard steel balls and would like to comment on what it’s like living with them!?

1 Like

The 316 contains a relativly small ammount of molybdenum ( 2%ish). This is the key difference in that this grade resists ( better) attack by chlorides. Quite why this ammount of moly creates the difference in price i don’t know. 304 might, be ok so long as you are say 5km from the sea, or any other source of chlorides. But if anywhere near the sea 304 is pretty useless.
Where i work we have to be very very carefull of chloride attack on our 316H s/s. Particularly with a mechanism called IGA where the grain boundaries in the 316H can be depleted of chrome. This combined with chlorides doesnt end well.
Anyway, enough of the amateur metallagy lessons. Naim should have avoided 304. Unless 2% moly makes all the sonic difference.

1 Like

Surely it goes to the power supply end?

Always goes to the signal end, I thought.

Chris West and AV Options is very well respected over here in the states. Chris is building me a new Z-Plug (a Naim AirPlug plus cryo’d Z-Foil resister) for my Superline (for which you were so helpful when I wanted to audition one) , to use with my new Lyra Atlas Lambda SL. I already have a 453R Z-Plug for my old DV XV-1s, that Peter at Cymbiosis built, but I decided to get a second one rather than modify the first. Kinda pricey decision, but I’ll use the 4553R I have as my Karajan tamer. I’m still listening to figure out the resistive value I want for the Lyra.

A 576R should be about right for Lyra MC cartridges, unless the Atlas is different.

1 Like

Unless you have the same tonearm as I do you can’t know that. And FWIW, 560R is already too high a value for my Atlas (I don’t have a 576R to test). I spent enough time listening to know that much already. Also note, I have the SL version, not the regular Atlas.

And FWIW: @Cymbiosis (Peter Swain) thinks the Lyra Atlas works best with 470R or 560R, but he tested with Linn LP12s, with Linn and Aro arms. I have a Clearaudio Universal arm and it might have different enough capacitance to negate those recommendations. As it turns out, I’m pretty sure the correct resistive value will be either 470R or 500R, and not 453R or 560R, but I am still listening.

Some of it is personal preference too, dynamics vs [over-] liveliness, etc. I find with jazz and rock, higher values might be OK, where with classical they might have too much treble extension (liveliness).

Pretty sure I’ll end up with either 470R or 500R.

Ah, okay. The 576R came from Peter’s early tests with the Superline and Airplugs. However, that was with LP12 turntable, Ekos and ARO tonearms, not your tonearm which may have different internal wiring resistance and capacitance. Whichever option you select in the end, I’m sure it will sound glorious.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I don’t know how my tonearm capacitance compares. All I know is that for loading a cartridge, lower tonearm cable capacitance is better, since that requires less loading (i.e. higher resistive values).

Since Peter did tell me he thought 470R was about right for the Atlas SL, and maybe 560R (i.e. for the LP12s he tested), I got a pair of standard Naim loading plugs in those values to try. I think 560R is too high, but I will still try it out for a bit again and see how live with that (I think it would work for jazz and rock, but maybe not classical).

Note the the Atlas SL has a single winding and 0.25mV output while the regular Atlas is a double winding and 0.58mV output. The SL version is perfect for the standard Superline.

Sadly I haven’t been able to try the Atlas SL yet as supplies seem particularly bad in the UK. I’ve had an Etna SL order since well before Christmas and the distributor still doesn’t know when I will see it so I think it’s very much a case of experimentation for you, particularly since I have done all the tests using an LP 12 as previously mentioned. I supplied my last Solstice last week, so no chance to put the combination together now.
All I would say is once you have determined your preferred load, then please do order the Z-foil Airplug from the factory as this will be a massive improvement over the standard metal plugs that are supplied.
Please of course to report your findings once you have settled on the best load. KR, Peter :+1:t2:

Thanks Peter. I have a pending order for the Z-Plug with Chris West. He says the AirPlug he needs to build on has a six-month lead time from Naim currently, so that gives me plenty of time to determine resistive value. I have 453, 470, 500, and 560 to try. I’m pretty sure 453 and 560 are not it. Now it’s between 470 and 500. So far I think the difference has a more profound effect on my listening to classical than anything. I’ve been leaning towards 470, so I think I just need to live with 500 for a couple weeks and leave it alone. Then come back to 470 and see what I think.

Once I decide I will report back.

1 Like

Fantastic! If Chris is building the Airplug for you with a pair of the Texas Instruments Cryo Z-Foils then you will have the best Airplug out there and it’s just a case of settling on your preferred loading. :ok_hand: :+1: KR, Peter

4 Likes

I had my Airplug’s redone for the Equinox cartridge loading. A significant upgrade over the factory Superline DINs. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I’ve been using an Airplug for some time now, for my DV XV-1s. I’m just getting a second made for my Lyra Atlas now.

1 Like

As much as I love the Solstice, I’m a lazy person and my primary source remains ND555 via Roon with Qobuz.

I have about 200 lp’s and obviously when I WANT to listen to one of those it happens. But for the past few months no vinyl has been played and what I’ve mostly been doing is browsing the “New Releases” tab of Qobuz for music to listen to.

5 Likes

Well…since I personally know the previous 3 posters (and the previous to that happens to be my dealer)…I will even the score and side with Bart to bring it to 2 vs. 2.

Even though I have a top flight LP12 set up by the top flight LP12 man in the game…like Bart most of my listening these days is with my dCS Rossini APEX + Clock

4 Likes

Oh wait…just realized I left out a mention of my man Varyat as well :laughing:

It’s a small world

Hey Gregg!
Hope you are enjoying your time in the villa :grinning: