New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That I had still not received the LP from the Solstice package.

The Naim of the Beast.

And did they sort this (or promise to)?

And how big an issue is it or is it more a matter of principle?

.sjb

From what I understand, the LPs were shipped out to the US in one of their shipments but nobody knows what happened to them after that. I asked on here for any Solstice owners still awaiting for their LP to let me know so I could give details to James, the Naim Label Manager, who would get in touch and send the LP out directly.

3 Likes

I find it a bit odd going on about an LP but yes something part of the package and should be there.

I would be more concerned about the serviceability aspects more than anything. I think anything but amps (and I’m not convinced about the new classics here) are pretty robust and serviceable items. CD players well I’m not at all convinced about support there based on experiences with my CDS3. The argument for not changing both DACs on an €8000 head unit does not impress me at all. I think apart from amps it’s time to leave Naim well alone unless I see a change in mentality.

For solstice I find it a weird product and will be interested to see how customers receive the support they deserve for remaining faithful to the brand. I would expect as a minimum the counter weight range to support different cartridges.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

Just a suggestion for a possibly quicker way to find out who has or hasn’t received their LP, because not everyone who bought the Solstice will see this thread.

I would imagine that the majority of buyers will have registered their turntable purchase with naim for the relevant warranty, therefore an email from Naim Audio UK to all owners asking the question, should provide a fuller and better response, as well as an opportunity to be proactive in finding solutions where needed.

3 Likes

Great suggestion. Simple, really.

@Richard.Dane

1 Like

@GeoffC
Not a bad idea, but the warranty is through the distributor so if that’s where the issue is then it does not really help. Unless of course I’m missing something here, that seems to be where the issue is

1 Like

My post was about gathering information effectively which is the first requirement here.

In my view, whether naim HQ, their distributors or dealers have the email addresses of Solstices owners, this needs to be the starting point to find out who already has the LP or not.

Rather than every customer chasing what is in reality the last part of their order, with different businesses or individuals, it would seem to me that intervention by Naim head office themselves is the best and right action to solve this issue.

1 Like

Possibly, correct me if I’m wrong, but this has been going on for quite a while now. I don’t think we will know what is going on on the Naim forum, but could be wrong of course. Naim can sympathise about a group of people not getting the LP but unless they decide to press a new set then what can they do? I doubt this and I believe there were problems with this in the first place. Maybe they just want to close solstice out and stick to the knitting? I would love to be proven wrong with these remarks and that goes for all their products that are not so well supported anymore, e.g. CD player repairs and yes I’m annoyed about this because one pays €8000 for an expensive “door stop”.

1 Like

Which is exactly what is happening - James is on the case.

5 Likes

as opposed to the Statement, which is a beast of a Naim.

They promised to ship LPs directly from the UK to us customers here who did not receive them, bypassing the nonsense from the distributor.

How “big” an issue is it? Philosophical question. The LP itself is a minor component of the entire package, so when it was delayed a bit I didn’t care that much. I would say for me personally the inattention from the distributor and the latest ham-handed communication are more than a matter of principle.

As I wrote to the Naim UK communications director, to paraphrase, If I were in business with Focal Naim North America, I would remind them that hi fi are luxury goods and that we luxury goods customers both have many options as to where to spend our money and we want to feel well-treated and appreciated when we do spend our money. This applies to hi fi, shoes, wristwatches, etc.

To me, the “principle” of being treated well as a customer is a pretty big issue. Because I do my best to behave properly on my end of the bargain.

10 Likes

He is, and I thank @Richard.Dane for getting this info to James. Much appreciated! Richard did intervene on behalf of us customers. We appreciate it!

4 Likes

Not the facts. Yes, 2 years ago apparently they needed to do a re-press. That was done (and I certainly sympathized then), the LP’s were packaged. However they did not reach the North American customers.

Ok @Bart I do not follow this as close as you do obviously. A few things wrong which I’m happy to admit but not far off the mark.

I think you will find there are big changes with distributors all over the world. In Germany I’m not happy with what I heard which I will refrain from putting here, also the long standing thread about Naim down under and the complaints about North America since all the good guys are no longer around so to speak. Things have changed for the worse and I do not see improvements with regards that. Something in general and not specific to Naim and HiFi of course. That said I will be very careful in the future with what I buy. Anything that I consider will be poorly supported will not interest me anymore.

This whole episode just a big bummer and a giant distraction. Solstice is a great turntable and I enjoy mine daily. The factory is stepping up and delivering the missing piece from the “special edition”. I’m closing this chapter and moving on to more important things like counterweights and debates over how much anti-skate is necessary.

I’m close to buying an NPX-300 for my Solstice. Who else has made this move?

2 Likes

For ME I’d put all or some of the $9k into a cartridge first . . . but that brings us back to you-know-where.

2 Likes

Power supply trumps cartridge… but that’s old school LP12 thinking.

Power supply wins over cartridge on Vertere turntables too, as evidenced in recent dealer demos.

I wish you every success with the campaign to secure one or two more Aro 2 counterweights.

Best regards, BF