New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That would be weird. Are you sure that helpful person wasn’t talking about stylus to mounting hole distance, which is related to cartridge alignment, and not just physical fitment, which pretty much every cartridge would?

For example, looking at the TKR geometry diagram below:

The 12.7mm measurement is pretty much the same for every cartridge out there, otherwise they physically wouldn’t fit any tonearm as they expect that distance between the bolts.

The 8.3mm stylus to mounting hole distance is what this discussion is about, and is what puts the TKR (and other DV cartridges where this measurement is 8.5mm) outside the alignment expected for an Aro based on the overhang you get with a 7.5mm distance.

It will work and even sound very good - most folks use all sorts of cartridges on their Aro that don’t match the geometry. I did that for a while when I had one (including a DV20, various ATs).

1 Like

I must say if ever there was a thread to make me glad I went the digital route, then this is it. :cd:

Whilst I don’t doubt the pleasure and sound quality many of you may get from your vinyl setup I know that for me all the permutations would give me apoplexy and I thank you one and all for reinforcing the correctness of my decision for me.

[aside] there does not seem to be an LP to vinyl emoji or am I missing it? [/aside]

.sjb

3 Likes

That’s why I started off with Rega tables . . . they come in as a kit. And why I was interested in the Solstice; it’s also a kit.

The whole ‘can I upgrade the cartridge’ thing at least for me is a “would be nice” but isn’t necessary. Although I’ll probably do it, as I do know that high-end cartridges can offer significant results.

But really the joy of vinyl playback can be experienced quite easily with a Rega tt and a ‘matching’ Rega cartridge pre-installed.

6 Likes

I know what you mean. I was considering selling my LP12 until recently as it hadn’t been used much over the last 18months but I had a few days vinyl the other week and it’s convinced me to keep it and have at least one vinyl night per week. And Im starting to get the itch for a Supercap to power my Prefix. Why oh why do we do this to ourselves? :joy:

1 Like

I reached back out to Naim/Focal in North America as I had not heard from them in over a month. They told me the record was a “minor detail”. (Their exact words) The record may be a minor detail but total lack of respect towards a customer is totally out of line. A new low for Naim.

I miss the old days of Naim USA: Chris Koster, Dave Dever and Chris West would have never treated any customer in such a poor manner.

15 Likes

Wow. That’s rather a sad state of affairs. Things promised and missing from a $20k product doesn’t sound like a minor detail to me.

4 Likes

Very, very poor.

2 Likes

I wonder if the cartridge (non)compatibility is also a minor issue. Been a Naim customer for over 30 years. This just is not Naim.

Not the Saim Naim now at all.
See what I did there. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

We all know it don’t oui?

2 Likes

Maybe Naim should create a new poster, “Sorry, I didn’t remember your Naim.”

11 Likes

Unless you purchase the Statement set. :expressionless:

16 Likes

Don’t mix up Naim Audio Ltd (UK) who designed the product with Clearaudio, and who would manage development of any hardware changes to permit the use of more cartridges, with Focal Naim North America who are (merely) the North American distributors.

It was an employee (and fairly low-level at that) of Focal Naim North America who made the “a minor detail” comment.

OTOH, I have received an email of apology from a communications director with Naim Audio in Salisbury.

The “a minor detail” comment was terrible and evinces a total lack of appreciation for the importance of customer service, particularly when working for a luxury brand. That said, I don’t blame Naim (UK) for that.

3 Likes

Better… :expressionless:

1 Like

Just curious.
Who’s the managing director at Naim/Focal now?

Cedrick Boutonet, I believe.

I see.
Thanks.

Please allow me to introduce myself
I’m a man of wealth and taste
I’ve been around for a long, long years
Stole million man’s soul an faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you