New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Good point Josquin. And actually i’m sure this will be pitched as a benefit…if it takes 3 months to rebuild the Dyna then essentially you can look at it as you need to replace your cart less frequently therefore making this option more cost effective.

Oh jeez.

1 Like

Unlike with the original ARO the underside of the ARO2 headshell is formed in such a way that it fouls the top inside corner of the XV body when trying to “dial in” to Baerwald and Stevenson mode points. As some of you may recall I fitted copper washers between cartridge and headshell to overcome this. So whether that qualifies the ARO2 as compatible with a DV XV is subjective. The rectangular body of an XX2 should be ok.

By way of contrast my 20 year old original ARO/ XV1t on a Stiletto LP12 works like a dream with a skale counterweight. Such a simple but great design still relevant all these years after launch. The best all round turntable that I’ve owned

5 Likes

So even the one cartridge that Naim recommends as compatible because of its heavy weight is in fact not compatible if you want to align it properly without resorting to a kludge.

We apparently have a 20k turntable that is not compatible with a single cartridge in the market that anyone has identified. When something is utterly ridiculous we have a saying that seems relevant for this situation …”you can’t make this stuff up”.

2 Likes

IMG_9220

1 Like

It’s the new marketing strategy. “How to fleece your customers.”

DG…

Naim Potters Wheel during a music break. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

You are just a bad man Skep :joy:

1 Like

An outsourced LTD edition product with no support was an ornament in the making.
I said so at the time. :wink:

4 Likes

You can buy similar Clearaudio cartridge. It should fit. You are slaved to Clearaudio.
The entry ticket is 20k. In our upset world, you have to pay to be a slave.

Today I’ve been told the new counterweight is “on its way” and Naim hope to have it ready by “year end”…

18 Likes

Hooray…….i think the owners of Solstice will be happy……depending on the details👍

1 Like

In a five and a half thousand post thread I’ve lost track of exactly what range of cartridge weights are compatible with the original counterweight. There’s nothing on the web site any more.

That’s a large thread in itself now.

Naim’s marketing decisions have not been that good as of late.

DG…

4 Likes

One of the strangest misunderstandings here is cartridge weight. The Solstice manual lists the Equinox cartridge at 8 grams, but it actually weighs 13 grams. I can imagine a PR guy seeing the manual and saying yes, a mainstream Dynavector like the XX-2 , at roughly 9 grams, would work well. These cartridges were very popular with the original ARO. The large XV Dynavectors are quite different in weight, shape, and price, and I doubt that these were intended as a recommendation.

I wonder if by Dynavector, that extends to Lyra, which are technically high end Dynavector. They said any Dynavector made cartridge. I wonder :thinking:

And the DV XV-1s and XV-1t are 12.6 gr and 12.0 gr respectively. But I believe there are other issues mounting them on the ARO II.

Lyra cartridges are not high end Dynavector. Where did you get that from? It isn’t true. They are completely separate companies and each have their own designers and builders.

2 Likes

I may have my wires crossed then. I’ve gone through life thinking they were the same company and never questioned it. I’ve thought it for decades so have no idea where I got the notion from. If it’s wrong it’s wrong I suppose.

OK. I have two Lyra Atlas plus a Dynavector XV-1s. Nothing about them is the same. They don’t look anything alike and they sound different too. There really is just nothing to relate them together. Both brands make fantastic cartridges that gel really well with the Naim sound.

I use the Dynavector as my backup cartridge and during the summer months when I give serious listen to records less often. It costs less than half what the Lyras cost.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I was wrong.

4 Likes