New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

My dealer told me this table has 47 layers of birch wood. That may or may not be the correct answer you are seeking!

1 Like

Hi Peter,

If the Equinox is around 1500 pounds, do you have any insights where the other bits would price if sold separately? I’m assuming the Aro would be at least twice as much, the Phono somewhere near that and then the TT/PSU/special edition bits making up the rest.

That’s rather strange? I also tried the metal feet option on my RP10, but couldn’t tell any difference whatsoever … so I put the original feet back on and returned the metal ones to the dealer.

They only screw in, so I can’t see why yours didn’t “fit very well after” … did you apply too much force when fitting them perhaps?

Anyway, regardless, I couldn’t notice any difference in sound, so save your cash and buy some records instead … hope that helps :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

“The visuals” factor into essentially anything I bring into my home that will be ‘on display’ (not stored in a closet). I always consider visual appearance. How much weight I give it . . . depends. There are e.g. speakers, and turntables, that you could tell me are the bee’s knees, none better at the price, and they’d not make it into our home.

4 Likes

The Aro 2 arm in this guise is way too heavy for an LP12 it seems. I hope that Naim do produce an LP12 compatible version - I want one already.

2 Likes

Oo-er, Matron :innocent:

2 Likes

Maybe if the platter were anodised black?

I do get the impression some here are protesting too much, who are you trying to convince?

1 Like

Given that it’s not difficult to improve upon the Klimax LP12 with third party after market upgrades, how does it compare with your Stiletto LP12, Chris? Will you be planning a home demo?

Hi Clive - the short answer is “No”.

The longer answer is, I really liked the Solstice. It is not as analytical and detailed as the Klimax LP12, but it’s easier to listen to in my view and very compelling.

If I simply had to chose between the Naim Solstice and Linn Klimax LP12, I think I would go for the Solstice. But could understand someone choosing the opposite. If it was an Aro’d LP12 or using a PU7 Ti, that might have swung the choice the other way.

I don’t think the phono stage is as good as a Superline / Supercap DR (or Urika / Klimax Radikal) and while the cartridge is very very good, and exceptional value it does not feel as competent as a Linn Kandid or Lyra Kleos SL - or a big DV to my ears.

The turntable, power supply and the Aro 2 arm are excellent - it would be exceptionally good if Naim market those as an entity to allow choice of cartridge and phono stage.

Would I change from my Tangerine Audio Stiletto plinth LP12 with Aro and Lyra SL? No, but the Solstice is a fabulous turntable system.

Finally the Aro 2 is a joy. I want one. I implore Naim to please make it LP12 compatible. I will pay for it now :sunglasses:

7 Likes

totally agree the Aro II is far to good an arm to only be able to sit on the Soltice
great summary of the deck

1 Like

Either there has been a lack of demand and Naim has dropped their pants on the price, or most likely a big time typo in latest edition of Hi-Fi Choice with the turntable retailing at £1,600 …did make me chuckle when I just saw it

1 Like

That would be about right for the cartridge

1 Like

Not in it’s current form…

1 Like

you mean this one

Just off to Audio T (hopefully I can get a discount )

1 Like

HH I bought the P8 last year from Audio T Portsmouth and absolutely love it!

Yup, that would be the one.

How can anyone isolate which part of the deck/stage/cartridge is great and how can it be compared to a full spec LP12 with a £6,000+ cartridge? It’s heard in a package at the moment.

I wonder how a DV will sound in it?

The “will they or won’t they make the arm available for LP12” is an interesting quandry for Naim…

I posted here - but I thought it deserved its own thread….

(Maybe we will get a Vinyl section of the forum soon - I mean if Home Cinema can have one…)

1 Like

I think they’ve got their decimal point in the wrong place! :joy:

Who? Naim? :thinking::wink: