New Naim Audio Website

The Intro Video

Naim have used videos on the website before this one - in my view, it’s not the best way to begin.

This latest one has a few Positives

Plenty of colour to liven up the sales of Black Boxes, intriguing images to grab attention, the Bentley link, a top of the range Statement, an Atom (?) with similar DNA, high quality design, all quite aspirational.

Negatives

The video auto plays when entering the website - which feels like you are being played an advert whether you want it or not + then there is the need / desire to locate the pause button to stop it.

The video flashes the imagery at a rapid pace, the editing is too quick.

Having moving people is fine, but they aren’t interacting with the products at all, they are in literally in two different universes. No one touches a remote or turns a volume dial, and even without sound on the website - no one is obviously reacting to music from a naim system.

There aren’t any New Classic products in this video!!!

1 Like

To me the images are thoroughly unpleasant to look at, even before they start moving. Then the movement, when it happens (and it sometimes doesn’t) is jerky and not nice. Some of this, I admit, may be just personal taste, but there you go. I don’t like it!

4 Likes

As per my opening post, please could members here stick to strictly constructive criticism of the actual website. Thanks.

I’m trying my best Richard, I promise!

On a practical note, for me the factual intormation is what’s most lacking here, and what I would mostly want from the website, making this iteration of greatly reduced value.
The lack of a rear view image to help with understanding connections is a glaring omission in this respect.
The removal of the button that takes you to the Support thing is another. There were poor substitutes for a proper manual, rarely updated or corrected, as discussed here in the past, but they were better than nothing. Perhaps they are still there somewhere, but I haven’t found them, and a link from the main product page would surely be the best way to make them available.

3 Likes

To be fair it’s probably difficult to resist temptation given the number of factual errors reported so far.

Exposed HTML tags, really?

My constructive criticism having experience in intranet and internet websites for a FTSE100 company is to take it down and fix it properly to avoid futher embarrassment.

I’d have had my arse kicked for this! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

I was surprised to see flashy videos we can’t even put a moving picture gif on here. :roll_eyes:

Continuing the discussion from FORUM RULES - Please Read & Follow:

4 Likes

Naim control website content so flashy videos causing possible epilepsy or seizures can be avoided, difficult to control what we (the enthusiastic masses) add to threads via our posts, so easy to say no to GIF’s than having to correct/remove in retrospect.

2 Likes

I find them disturbing and should follow the same rules or provide warnings.
Just because I’m all right Jack doesn’t work.

2 Likes

The comments above about the animated blocks are very much valid and should be taken into account with other constructive criticisms.

In fact, this is the W3C recommendation related to this: Understanding Success Criterion 2.2.2: Pause, Stop, Hide | WAI | W3C

And whereas there is a button to pause, it remains problematic due to the subtle nature of the button, the subtle focus style and the location. The subtle contrast of the button and the focus won’t pass the WCAG contrast requirements either. Plus users still have to endure the animation in order to find the button, especially on small screens where the animation is present but the button is off-screen.

1 Like

I was thinking that a search function could be useful, but I couldn’t find it until I eventually caught a glimpse of it at the bottom of the Products page. Unfortunately it’s unusable on my iPhone because it’s hidden under the Apple control bar (as are some other buttons) and you can only see it if you swipe upwards. Then you can’t use it because you have to let go of the screen to type, and that makes it pop back down under the control bar again!

……and that’s only when the buttons actually appear. Nine times out of ten they don’t.

4 Likes

I’m not sure a Muso remote control is really that similar to a Hiline cable!

1 Like

Unfortunately it was already live, so that’s what we have.

Thanks for everyone’s input so far. It seems the marketing team and the developers still have a fair bit left to do.

10 Likes

And forum members😀

2 Likes

Now that’s what you call a speaker cable!:smiley:

1 Like

The source code looks autogenerated (i.e. not intended to be read). Looks like Laravel Livewire, a tool that runs in PHP on the server and builds the pages dynamically.

Doesnt mean anything really but explains why the site UI feels a bit “off”, at least to me using Safari. There is also a file missing “Matomo.js” but it’s only a tracking lib (see what the users are doing).

The site was easier to browse on an iPhone but when you click your way through the site it is extremely irritating when the “change language” view and the title bar shows up and use 30% of the screen on every link you click. There is also a lot of pretty bad formatting but mostly it didnt hurt readability so it’s not a big problem.

Personally I like fast “native” coded websites with traditional navigation better (I like when I can navigate the site with the knowledge I learnt on other sites).

1 Like

ND 555 technical specifications, analogue inputs section has an error says “balanced via xlr”

2 Likes

Surely it doesn’t have any analogue inputs, balanced or otherwise. How strange.

I used to be the Quality Manager for the English arm of a very large German electrical engineering company.

There were similar set-ups around the world within the company.

Although the main marketing was in Germany, each country had their marketing department to be able to represent the subtle differences for each country.

More importantly, each country had its own translation department to get the language, nuances, etc, correct for each country. One of the main requirements is using a translator translating into their Mother tongue.

Translating into English by a German, French, or whatever national never works successfully.

Naim will sort their website out eventually, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

DG…

2 Likes

The website does seem a bit different when I just looked. Naim’s daft marketing phrase is there in all its glory.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

1 Like

Under specifications for Uniti Core. Does it come with a power line now?