New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

Hello Steve,
I think there are several hi-res stations from Hi On Line Radio from the Netherlands,that can be received via Tune In.
Is it possible to receive these via the Naim hi-res stations?
Thank you very much for your good work.

@Stevesky : Apropos the “filter station list” vs “search all stations” confusion, I must say it took me a while to notice / learn that the top right Search box (magnifying glass icon) had been expanded to include iRadio… I remember when it seemed to be restricted to Tidal searching, almost no matter what page you were on. Great feature, super useful, but not well known or communicated (present thread excepted, of course).

The confusion is compounded by the “filter” entry field incorrectly / misleadingly (imho) re-using the magnifying glass icon, which should be reserved for search (probably there are standards for this, but I’m just a User, not a UX/UE guy).

Rather than tossing the filter box (which is present on lots of pages for, obviously, filtering the lists shown!), perhaps you could just change the icon to one of the more obvious “filter” icons, such as this one?

IMG_1187

The text prompt is correct, but I think it’s the icon that drives User expectations.

1 Like

I think changing the icon to filter is a good suggestion. Still not convinced that there’s a need for this option at all, although I concede that it could be useful for anyone who has forgotten their alphabet.

1 Like

Haha agreed - although it’s pretty good at filtering long lists say in Tidal that appear in release order, or for multiple versions of the same Cello Suite, and you want to see only a subset by a specific artist… but yah, if you know what you want to search for, search is your friend! I like filter mainly for restricting categories… and the Naim iRadio categories are organized through a way in a drill down fashion rather than via this Filter function (eg Region/Country) . Neither fish nor fowl…

Hi,

Comparing to their website vs stations that we have I believe we have the lot.

If there are some available, can you give an indicator on what ones?

Best

Steve

to see that info you havo to point with a web browser to
http://YOUR.UNITI.IP.ADDRES/naim/index.fcgi
and then click on DIAGNOSTICS

Hi @Magnolia

I left a unit running today. About 16:00 UK time it started to get serioud buffer under-run issues. On the diagnostics the data just wan’t coming in fast enough.

It’s gone solid again and hence plenty buffered again. but will get more trace enabled to see how long its taking to download the segments from the server as something is running slow.

Will also get it on our connection emulation system to exercise the implementation in more detail.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Hello Steve,
Then I was mistaken.I thought Hi On Line Radio had more then one hi-def station.
Thanks.

Thank you so much! :pray:

Really impressed with the new radio service. Great sound and having the extra metadata is really nice. Thanks Naim.

4 Likes

Radio Paradise has a new mix. Can this be added if it hasn’t been already? Thanks.

Hello again and thanks for the consistent efforts. I would say the dropouts, which are currently ongoing, happen during the second half of the day, from Western Europe afternoon into the evening. For example, it is now 16:10 in Paris and Groove Salad drops out so badly I have immediately reverted to the MP3 stream. Have also spent time checking on my side. The screamingly fast and stable fiber ethernet connection into my ND5XS2 allows for comfortable and reliable streaming of all other stations, including the 4K Mother Earth stations. Brgds.

1 Like

Pretty much the same here but even as early as 4 pm…

1 Like

Looking at the countries in Australasia I think it might be more accurate to call this group Oceania. Possibly useful for some.

Hi @ElMarko

Early days on this one as they only have a 64K aac stream at the moment. As and when the better quality streams come online we’ll get them added.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Steve, I have experienced multiple times small hick ups on the WDR3 channel. It sounds like connection problems. I checked if it had anything to do with my internet connection, but the problem is limited to WDR3. Other WDR stations don’t have similar problems. The sound quality is very good. So I hope it has nothing to do with higher bit rate. In the past I listened to WDR 3 - Rheinland, but that is not on the list anymore.

I deleted most of my presets thinking they’d be carried over the new radio engine anyway.
In the process I lost one of my all time favorite station. Soul cafe radio (New York based).
Any chance naim add this in near future ?
Thanks

Thanks for the update, it’s great. One thing - the logo used for 2MBS FM in Australia is incorrect. It is that of Classic FM.

Cheers

I like this suggestion. Perhaps changing the word “filter” to “filter search results” could better clarify its’ purpose…my 2c

1 Like

Hi @JoostMollerus

It does seem that on the new wdr3 hls streams the buffer levels are quite low (about 3-4secs max).

For now have added in the directory the legacy 256kbit mp3 stream and also this newer ‘hd’ aac one.

We’re investigating what is going on.

Regards

Steve

PS.WDR restructured their online channels a while back. This reflects the current state of play.

2 Likes