New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

Hi @Magnolia

As discussed yesterday I ran a Uniti Atom to the lossless feed of Groove Salad. This is from London, UK.

Overall:

• 0 drop outs

• Typical buffer level is 4.2MB, or approx. 30secs worth of audio buffered. Very healthy

• There are congestion issues at certain times of the day. I’ve seen the buffer drop to around 2.2MBytes. hard to tell if that is server or internet backbone issues. I suspect a bit of both. Remember when doing speedtests etc. typically its exercising to a local test server, not going through 10’s of hops and 5000+miles away.

• This is a different server to the main feed that has multiple servers to choose from and as a disclaimer it is considered experimental on their website.

I think overall a case of if it works based on your location then great. If not, go back to the more redundant, easier to stream MP3 variant. Its still in a good bitrate.

Best

Steve

2 Likes

Hi @Stevesky thanks for testing. It seem, for me, a time of day issue. Around 18-20 CET I have the drop outs. Later in the evening, no issue. Tested this morning as
wel, no issues. Will adjust my use.

Good point. Where’s my Americana alt-country garage punk reggae stations…

I love this thread. Not much to tell my radios are missing, as the few I used to listen are already available, but to discover what others are listening too, with the screenshots or visuals and try some new one I had no idea about! Thanks all!

I am happy :)))

My recommendation to check, enjoy :slight_smile:

Hi @Stevesky , some questions about the picture :
. Could you help usfind an app that displays that information for a web radio?

• What frequency does Soma stream use?
  • how do you calculate 25 seconds of audio buffered in the streamer ?
    Thanks

Hi @mb1969

Soma document their streams here:
https://hls.somafm.com/

How to calculate bit rate vs time.
So take average bit rate reporting on now playing. Say: 1mbit/sec. Convert to Bytes, so 1024kb = 128KBytes/sec.
Take amount in buffer. Say 4096KBytes.
4096 / 128 = 32secs of audio.

As FLAC uses what ever data it needs to achieve lossless, this is a very rough figure.

and lower case on mb/kb/b = bits. upper case on MB, KB, B = bytes. So 8 bits to the byte.
I work in real K’s so 1024, not marketing units of 1000.

Lesson of the day over :slight_smile:

Best

Steve

7 Likes

Hello Naim team :).
Happy Friday!

My father is using a Nad with BluOS and I noticed he has some nice radio stations in there. I am unsure how to find these in the Uniti Nova. They seem to be under tunein on his machine.

For example:
Smooth Jazz Radio | Smooth Jazz 247

Jazz Cafe | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

Best,
M.

Searching on name does it:

Hello @Stevesky, thanks for double checking. It is currently 4:38 in Western Europe and my feed is definitely breaking up. Rusty Hodge is having a look on his side in California to make sure all is technically sound, even if this is an experimental feed. I think it’s useful that I provide him end user feedback in case they are able to make adjustments. Brgds.

1 Like

Thanks. Monitoring here as well. So far no dropouts, but chilling nicely :slight_smile:

Best

S

3 Likes

@Stevesky @Magnolia : listening as well. Via naim-app dropouts and via SomaFM stream and AirPlay to ndx no dropouts. I am getting confused. Same naim streamer, same stream, different results.

Stream used: StreamS HiFi MSE fMP4 Player

1 Like

Hi @Stevesky , thanks for your help. My question was releated to the screenshot you posted about somafm. What is not clear to me is:
1 ) the frequency to obtain a 983 kbit/s with 16 bits of resolution
2) how do you get a buffered time of 25 seconds starting from the numbers you showed in the screenshot.

Hi @mb1969

The datarate figure shown on now playing is a rolling snapshot figure of typically within a 1 second window, how many bits of encoded flac data did it take to resolve as 1seconds worth of audio. Remember, this is encoded stream so bit depth is not a factor, as bit rate is only applicate once its decoded back to LPCM.

So:
983/8=~122KBytes/sec

I had around 4.2MB in the input buffer. So divide that by 122K (4300/122) and it gives 35secs. In practice it was wandering around on both buffer figure and bit rate so I quoted the pessimistic 25secs figure.

All a bit geeky, but you asked :innocent:

Best

Steve

Thanks for the explanation. It was suggested upthread this that was a Swiss station.

Hi @Mistio

The network you are mentioning is based in New Zealand.

So browse → International → Australias → New Zealand → Brands → Wandering Sheep Network

They’ve recently started a 320Kbit variant of Jazz Cafe, but content wise its out of sync with the 128k stream.

Best

Steve

Maybe a step too far for a Kiwi!

Seriously though, if the global search for iRadio (for 2nd gen streamers) was in the iRadio input where people expect it to be, so many ‘I can’t find my radio station’ queries would be avoided.

is it not already?

It’s still visible in the iRadio page, and is the same magnifying glass button that’s in the home page, but it’s very clear from the frequent posts here over the years that many people don’t recognise it for what it is, or appreciate the concept of global vs local search that may be obvious to others.