New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

It’s a big place and the population is spread out. We’re big fans of the National Broadcaster the ABC and we’ve got great access to every state and territory. Big thumbs up here.

Haven’t noticed anything missing but I’ll look further next week and let you know.

Good stuff Steve….

Nice to get some special treatment in Oz …! Just need a dealership distribution now…! :flushed:Sorry, couldn’t resist….

Some decent Aussie based stations wouldn’t go amiss either, but not sure Naim can fix that one…!:rofl:

BTW, there’s only two Territories in Oz…!

SC

1 Like

Thanks Steve. Does it also work on the app for the Mu-so Qb?

Hi @Pete_the_painter

None of the Australian channels are true high-def.

More a case of that the stations are slowly moving from either 64kbit AAC, or even worse 96kbit MP3 to higher bit rates.

So ABC network used to be on 64kbit AAC that grinds at the ear on a good Hifi, and are now on a more respectable 192kbit AAC.

We also bias away from “mobile” streams as easy to get caught up in 32kbit AAC streams, while if suitable hunting is done, 128kbit AAC streams are also available.

Best

Steve

2 Likes

I was going to reply to Pete’s post re hidef – I was going to query if indeed there were any…

Just looked at SBS Chill, for example – is 64kbps….painful.

SC

Yes I realised that, that’s why I deleted the post. Doh.

1 Like

True but I generally only listen to the radio as background music so it’s not a huge concern for me.

Agree…

TBH, I only listen to RP main mix…sometimes one of their other channels, sometimes a bit of BBC….Naim Radio at times also, though the missing meta on the hidef stream annoys me……but daily it’s always RP in the background/casual etc….then files from the Core when I want to listen to something……

SC

1 Like

Hi does anyone know if vtuner added radio stations can still be used with the new iradio server?
Do these stations also have to be re-saved?

The new Naim service completely replaces vtuner, so nothing you saved in vtuner will be available. You may find that what you want is already in the new listing. You will have to search for it and then save it as a favourite.

The ability to add your own new stations is coming in about November, but in the meantime you can ask for the specific stations you want in the special thread.

Happy to inadvertently bring you some music joy :+1:
There are some excellent dance stations on there.
Naim sound signature seems to suit dance music very well.

2 Likes

Thanks to all of you finding and adding White Noise Radio. I appreciate. It’s little more to high tones but better this then nothing :slight_smile: Before update I had sth like Brown Noise Radio. The tone was lower, deeper, more better for brain to sleep, covering outside nosies and calming down on high volume too. www brownnoiseradio com (cannot add proper link)
But I am not sure if it was that. Before I found this brown noise in Naim’s app and added as “5” to Muso. If you can add some more noise stations to choose, it is awesome. I think different people have different needs like with music. Thank you.
And using Chromecast function is more complicated, you need phone to have it near and with radio station it’s enough to just touch “5” etc.

Thanks @Stevesky, I’m in the UK. Your method was suggested by @IanO and I found the station. But it is not very intuitive and I’m not clear of the difference between filter and search, especially when filtering (International → Europe → Switzerland → Browse all) produces this:

No Trombone Jazz Radio.

1 Like

Most useful and tx for rapid response.

I run uniti 2 streaming on 2x Muso QB2 and 2x Muso QB 1…

I see a different list of stations on the QB2.

So does the old equipment (uniti and QB1) not see the new radio tuner?

tx

Paul

Hello @fritsveer I have given up on using Groove Salad HD. It drops out all the time and is unlistenable. I have reverted back to the low-rez MP3 256K feed which is stable. All other HD stations work fine, including the highest data-rates from Mother Earth radio for example and nothing drops out. The idea of Groove Salad in HD was an excellent thought but the application of which has proven to be substandard. Brgds.

1 Like

That’s right. They don’t because the vtuner address is coded into the firmware. As I mentioned, Naim has said they do intend to update that firmware, but it’s not ready yet. Also updating the old unitis and streamers is more complicated than with the newer units and they have to think how best to tell people (and dealers) how to do it. The Muso1 and Qb1 are “over the air” like the Qb2 but the firmware is different of course.

There are quite a few of us here who know how to do it, so once the firmware is ready and released, no doubt we will try to help those who want to do it for themselves.

Great thanks for sending.
The icons for the stations are different to the ones I have saved, so they appeared to be missing. Is the dance genre going to be reinstated?
Or will all stationed considered dance be under Electronic? As I’ve noticed some of the ones from dance genre appearing there now.

Thanks

Hi @StickVic

On the new system we have cut down the number of Genres as in reality on radio, genres are rarely that focused in a channel (eg. Metal, Alt, punk etc)… lets call it Rock. It’s a constant debate on categorization for various radio stations due to this as well.

So: Dance, unless its biased towards a Folk or World Music bias will go under Electronic Dance and may have a secondary genre under Pop, Decades or Variety depending on the content.

Images - typically we use the formal images from the radio stations where supplied. However, if wrong / old images are seen then let us know and we’ll correct it. On some smaller stations they don’t have any standards on logos so typically there is no right or wrong… just a personal preference.

Best

Steve

Hi,

Based on you are browsing Switzerland->All Station, you won’t find that station there, as it’s a USA based station.

Summary:

Filter - find in current view only
Search (top right search icons) - search across the whole radio database.

Best

Steve

Hi @rasz

a good nights sleep is restored. Brown Noise is back :slight_smile:

We couldn’t locate the actual country of this station so its gone to live in the UK.

Best

Steve

1 Like