New Naim Internet Radio - feedback & requests

Hi @ChrisSU

It is already. So pick search icon on top right of screen:

Type in search criteria and click on ‘more’ in the radio section:

This area does need improving, but once mastered it’s usable.

It also supports keyword tags as well:

The thing with search is that you need to know what to search for. While browsing can result in hidden gems being unearthed.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Yes, once you know about it, it’s obvious and works well. It’s just that the regular posts on here from people who have completely missed it suggest that it needs to be presented in a way that makes it clearer.

My suggestion would be to do away with the near useless search box which appears at the top of the page and put the global search there, where people see it.

2 Likes

Hi @Stevesky , great explanation. Thanks.
Now my last question is: how can we find all the info showed in the screenshot you posted ? In the ‘now playing’ screen I find only the datarate.

How about giving us access to the likes of Cerys Mathews, Jamie Cullum and 'Round Midnight on demand as available on BBC Sounds? Kevin Griffin, Aschaffenburg, Germany"

@Stevesky Latest exchange with SomaFM about Groove Salad in HD:

"Oh, I think we found the issue. NAIM doesn’t seem to (properly) support HLS streams. The Radio Paradise and JB Radio streams are “Icecast” format.

They should investigate their HLS playback implementation.

On that message board:

“Via naim-app dropouts and via SomaFM stream and AirPlay to ndx no dropouts. I am getting confused. Same naim streamer, same stream, different results.” that’s because AirPlay is a different protocol, so again, narrows it down to the HLS implementation on the Naim.

That also points to the Naim not playing back HLS properly.

If there is someone at Naim who would like to talk to the CTO at StreamS/ModulationIndex (who develop the encoders), I’d be happy to put them in touch. They’ve already worked with Apple and Wiim and lots of software manufacturers to help them get proper HLS implementations.

PS-
We are streaming in HLS with fMP4 (Fragmented MPEG-4)
There is also the older ES (Elementary Stream) HLS segment packetization"
UNQUOTE

No intention of starting a forest fire, would just be nice if we could have Groove Salad to stream as reliably as the other HD stations which are all quite stable for me and others. Anyway, we shall see.

1 Like

Hi @Magnolia

We purposely put this support in and if we didn’t support it it would be dropping out about every 10secs, as the stream is chopped into 10second segments. One key difference in fpr example the Airplay difference is that buffering wise there is approx 60secs of audio available and we buffer around 30-40secs of it. A different player may sit at different buffer point and this may swing the difference on working and not working when there is network congestion.

I’ve just written to Rusty on the subject.

Just to clarify the facts:

1. It plays most of the time. Only at certain times of the day does it suffer from dropout?

Best

Steve

Hi @Wilfried, all,

You’re in luck.

We’ve been discussing with our good friends at Jazz Groove, USA. They have kindly agreed to give all Naim&Focal customers:

• Full FLAC lossless access to all their streams until end of November. This covers the period while we are preparing for user added (typically) premium streams
  • Improved MP3 channels so Naim & Focal customers get 256k MP3 streams, instead of 128K MP3 that other products have access to.

As we were both keen to get customers back playing, these premium Jazz Groove streams have now gone live.

Some server side changes will go live early next week so it’s easier to find this promotion/benefit.

Of course Jazz Groove don’t run on thin air, so if people love the content then a subscription helps keep the content flowing. Visit their website at: https://jazzgroove.org/

Enjoy

Steve

4 Likes

Hi, generally I like the change, many new stations, great quality. Good. However I miss one of my favorite one and its strange because all stations from this broadcasting company are there Adirondack Broadcasting/Pamal Broadcasting. There are Froggy, WHUD, WSYB and all stations from this company but Q101.7.

I miss this one, any chance to add this @Stevesky ? Q101.7 Classic Hits WNYQ Glens Falls, NY

Best
Maciej

Hi @Matthew1

Your wish is granted :slight_smile:

Not sure why but it’s missing from the XPeri USA directory. Have added it manually on our side.

Enjoy.

Steve

Ha! There you go !
Thanks a million:)
Have a good weekend !

Hi @Stevesky that’s really good news. Thank you for the effort. I’m looking forward to trying it out soon. I think it’s also a good opportunity for Naim users to check out Jazzgroove. The Jazzgroove Flac streams are of high quality. Especially older jazz recordings are almost always significantly better than via Qobuz (high resolution). It’s definitely worth a try. Since I subscribed to the Jazzgroove Flac streams, my radio consumption has increased significantly.

Hi @Stevesky, not listening 24/7 :wink:, I notice the drop-outs around ~ 18-20 CET ( location Amsterdam) mainly during the week. Not sure this is the the same as @Magnolia.
Note: appreciate all the help and guidance you all are given.

1 Like

Hi @Stevesky,
Would it be possible to add all the streams from the Russian page Anima Amoris (can’t post the url, but a google search will do it)
It’s great and unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared with the update. I can’t find it in international > Europe > Russia whether i go to Brands, Genre > Electronic or Browse all.
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Franoitor

Re:Anima Amoris

Now added.

Best

Steve

Hello Steve,
I think there are several hi-res stations from Hi On Line Radio from the Netherlands,that can be received via Tune In.
Is it possible to receive these via the Naim hi-res stations?
Thank you very much for your good work.

@Stevesky : Apropos the “filter station list” vs “search all stations” confusion, I must say it took me a while to notice / learn that the top right Search box (magnifying glass icon) had been expanded to include iRadio… I remember when it seemed to be restricted to Tidal searching, almost no matter what page you were on. Great feature, super useful, but not well known or communicated (present thread excepted, of course).

The confusion is compounded by the “filter” entry field incorrectly / misleadingly (imho) re-using the magnifying glass icon, which should be reserved for search (probably there are standards for this, but I’m just a User, not a UX/UE guy).

Rather than tossing the filter box (which is present on lots of pages for, obviously, filtering the lists shown!), perhaps you could just change the icon to one of the more obvious “filter” icons, such as this one?

IMG_1187

The text prompt is correct, but I think it’s the icon that drives User expectations.

1 Like

I think changing the icon to filter is a good suggestion. Still not convinced that there’s a need for this option at all, although I concede that it could be useful for anyone who has forgotten their alphabet.

1 Like

Haha agreed - although it’s pretty good at filtering long lists say in Tidal that appear in release order, or for multiple versions of the same Cello Suite, and you want to see only a subset by a specific artist… but yah, if you know what you want to search for, search is your friend! I like filter mainly for restricting categories… and the Naim iRadio categories are organized through a way in a drill down fashion rather than via this Filter function (eg Region/Country) . Neither fish nor fowl…

Hi,

Comparing to their website vs stations that we have I believe we have the lot.

If there are some available, can you give an indicator on what ones?

Best

Steve

to see that info you havo to point with a web browser to
http://YOUR.UNITI.IP.ADDRES/naim/index.fcgi
and then click on DIAGNOSTICS