New service and repair costs?

Sent my ~2006 NAP250.2 in to AVoptions in the USA for one of the last DR/Service upgrades two weeks ago (deposit was paid and parts ordered in Dec 2021). Took 1 week to get the work done and it’s being shipped back to me as we speak.

I’ll post an update when It’s back in situ and run in for a couple of weeks.

1 Like

In about 25 years of Naim ownership nothing has broken down, or rather nothing but the ns01 server, probably because of internal heat. But no preamp no power amps or cds, or dacs or power supplies or the current streamer. Of course tomorrow after having written this something will break down or an unforseen storm will damage everything!
Claus

1 Like

It’s like a lottery, since 1990, the only products I had that had problems where the two Naim I recieved recently, a Mark Levinson 383, an Unidisk 1.1 and a Marantz CD 16, both CD players nedded a new laser.

And I have had some gear over the years. Never had a speaker that had problems.

I’m a Naimuser since 2012. Several units went back for one or more repairs (252/NDX/Unitiserve/Unitique). All units were bought new. Last unit was the Unitiserve 2TB. Serve went back to Naim UK for full service cost 500 euro. Repairpaper indicated new CD mechanism, new battery, regulators and software 1.7c (was already installed on the serve). I took it to my dealer mid novembre 21 and received it back end january 22. I knew it would take some time.
Will servicing a unit in the future still be payable at a reasonable cost?

When you say several Naim units had gone to repair is not good to know. My NDX 2 is in repair for almost 3 months now, I hope it comes soon, in my country I could ask for a full refund after more than 30 days in a warranty repair, but in respect to the dealer I will not do it. But 3 months are starting to bug me.

1 Like

How long have you had it? :astonished:

11 months.

Hmm not good. I think you should have been provided with a new replacement by now! Have you pursued this option?

1 Like

I will wait until the end of July, then I will talk with the dealer who sold me the unit. My unit had to be shipped to England to repair because the wi-fi was not working, I Am in the hope that arrives this month.

I’d be asking for a replacement unit, that’s not good enough.

3 Likes

this is a great thread - glad i found it. nice that the factory gets directly involved with their fanatical base of users… :grinning:

question (which may be well understood by others, if so apologies in advance…) Is there a definition of service vs repair?

1 Like

It’s a good question. At a guess I would reckon a repair is anything that falls outside of the sort of stuff that gets attended to or replaced during a service.

1 Like

A service is something that is undertaken to prevent failure or extend the periods between service. In car terms, an oil change.
A repair would suggest the item has either failed is is off- design and likely to not be capable of functioning as per the design intent.
An overhaul takes things a bit further, stripping to component level, inspecting against the design or acceptable standard and replacing as required.

Most watch servicing is actually an overhaul, rather than a service. If it were a service, it would be little more than a lubrication and regulation of the movement.

The usual hierarchy is

Inspection
Service
Overhaul
Restoration.

For naim, a service will change out items it knows are degraded or will fail outside of the service interval.

That’s your definition which could be right, but none of us know how Naim or, equally relevantly, any of the dealers actually define the difference because Naim have chosen not to enlighten us.

Id like to take credit for the definitions but sadly no. These are pretty much used in most industries and certainly in mine.
However if naim are struggling with the words, then feel free to use them. Same goes for the watch industry- ( unusually) they are underselling themselves; your service is actually an overhaul. But no, don’t charge us anymore. And yes, i’m looking at you Rolex/Tudor at Kings Hill!

1 Like

I was actually looking for the definition as it applies to what’s written in the Naim schedule above.

So I was at my local dealer yesterday - even he didn’t know the difference between service & repair. I also showed him the price list and he seemed to think that the European-based ones are charging differently…

Honey, I shrunk the SuperNait !

The SuperNait has morfed into my 2nd system olive Nait-2 to enable the SN to go to the Health & Fitness Spa at Salisbury.
Hopefully it won’t be long to have it back in place, I’ll post when that happens together with any SQ & other changes.
The Nait-2 SQ is remarkably good on my 3 way 3.4ohm floor standers,

and we’ll want to know what they ‘repaired’ vs what they ‘serviced’. :smiley:

Perhaps it needs another thread…….but it is not easy to find the online prices for other companies repair or service before you buy.