NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I second Richard. I ran a Stax Energiser from the CDX 2 RCA out. A stunning combo.

1 Like

I’ve heard Stax a few times - they are truly stunning - not like anything else, but then headphones are not about a dance party, they’re about hearing into the music and nothing does that like Stax in my experience.

I wonder if a nice pair of Stax with a tube energiser with a low cost streamer on the front would be better for me than an Atom HE with my current Grados…

…HIFi lounge have an amazing selection of Headphones - including Stax and Focal plus Naim Atom HE on dem…I’ll have a listen…

It’s best to take a good long listen. Having owned a few sets of STAX from a pair of Lambda Pros and an SRD7SB Mk2 to more recently an SRS-4040 Signature combination with a tube energiser, I would say that they can definitely be stunning and almost forensic in the way they allow you to hear into a piece of music. That can be a double edged sword though, so it’s best to take a good long listen and then if you’re tempted, live with them for a while. In the end I chose to move on the SRS4040 Signature set as I wasn’t really using them enough - possibly they were just a little too cerebral for me. In many respects I preferred listening to my Ponoplayer in balanced mode driving a set of HD600s.

As for fronting the STAX phones with a low cost streamer, I would advise against that - choose the best source you can afford as they will ruthlessly reveal anything less.

1 Like

Sage advice Richard - thanks.

I did hear the STAX SR-009 with a nice Tube energiser - which was exactly as you describe - I really really enjoyed that forensic side of it - but I did find it musical too. Bags of detail, but the rhythms popped along. I didn’t think they were lacking in Bass which was what I expected. Dry yes, but weighty. I’ve actually never heard anything like it.

I went to the dealers with the intention of buying a pair of Focal Utopia, but when I heard the STAX I just thought no…the Focals sounded muddy and heavy in comparison, yes more drive and warmth and bass, but veiled. I’m not sure I’d have realised that - and would probably have bought them - if id not heard the STAX.

In comparing the two - and thinking about the use case, I came to the conclusion that having something that sounded totally different and provided that window in the the recording booth view that the STAX did was a good idea. If I want groove and weight I’ve got the Main Hifi, and that’s not lacking in that regard. The headphones would be for kicking back when my wife is watching TV (albeit in a different room as they are VERY open back) and listening inside the music, so that totally different presentation is quite appealing.

Anyway - I didn’t buy either - things changed and I found something else that needed investment and I never returned to it, but I’m thinking I might revisit.

Regarding a source - low cost is relative of course, but there are some good second hand options out there - I wondered about picking up a second hand Linn Akurate DS or something…or (whizzy idea) using an Atom HE to drive the Engergiser as a streamer…I could then use the Atom HE for other headphones (I have some Grado 1000s)

I wonder how using the Atom HE like that would compare to (say) a second hand NDX2 or an Akurate DS. Linn presentation may well suit the Stax of course - they like a bit of detail in Glasgow!

If you’re still interested in the Focal Utopia, a cable upgrade might be to your liking. I have the Danacable Lazuli Reference and completely removes the veil, opening up the soundstage and giving them rich, tubelike mids. This cable has made a bigger difference in sound than when I downgraded from the Chord Dave/mscaler to the Focal Arche and now the Naim HE. I still enjoy the Utopia without the cable but it feels like it’s lacking something without it.

1 Like

So I have been playing with my Atom HE for a week now. Purely as a preamp and it is fantastic. It sounds richer, wider, purer and more refined as my old Atom (also as a preamp). Same cables, same power amp, same speakers, same room. It is really hard to describe what has changed, but I would say the PRaT is still there, but more refined, with less distractions (like emphasised bass or mids) and pulling me more into the music. I even noticed this when listening to Internet Radio several times this week. I also noticed that the bass is not less but tighter, which leads to less boomy bass in our room. I love it!

Anyone living near Arnhem in The Netherlands is welcome for a demo.

BR,
Richard

6 Likes

Super interesting - I’ll see if my dealer has one for me to try.

Headphones are so personal, I do subscribe the view Richard expressed that extended demos are mandatory.

Couldn´ t more agree to Richard - a Stax (and defenetly the 009) desevers the best source you can get.
Just think about the SSE running directly into the amp with the Stax-Flagship - headphone-heaven… :innocent:

atb, Tom

1 Like

Curious about the power output with 32 ohm headphones single ended. Is there a graph available?

Hi all,
New to the forum and Naim world…I thought I would contribute…I’ve a brand new Uniti Atom HE, fantastic experience so far, great sound… it’s paired with the Audeze lcd-xc (for private listening) + pair of active speakers, the Buchardt A500’s…for my hears it’s a combination made in heaven, with the extra advantage that I can play with the Master Tunnings and tweak the sound to my room… :+1:

I mostly use Roon (Qobuz+NAS), amazing integration with the Atom…I’ve an EtherREGEN linking all together… :smiley: … Chromecast for family (Google Home) casual listening (Spotify)…all works fantastic so far! As a side note, in my case, I don’t have any use for Spotify/etc Connect…and also no use for MQA… :v:

I’m waiting for this device to arrive…
HDMI ARC Adapter & DAC Converter, edola HDMI ARC Audio Extractor Adapter & DAC Converter Selector with Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial and Analog 3.5mm L/R Stereo Audio for HDTV Speaker Home Theater

…and test if I can use my Apple TV remote to control the volume while connecting my TV to the Atom (Toslink/Coax/Analog whatever works best) as well (since we don’t have an HDMI ARC connection)…anyone trying to do the same? I’m not fuss about TV sound quality, just usability, once again, family use case… :smiley: …I wish the Atom would be able to detect sound from one of those inputs and shift inputs automatic, but don’t believe that works… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m not sure whether it would work, but try setting up the Apple TV as a Roon end point and see if the ATV remote will allow you to control the volume.

1 Like

Don’t believe that would cover my use case…the use case of connecting the AppleTV(through my TV) to the Naim is for watching TV/Movies/etc, using Plex, etc…not for Roon music…the best/easier option would be to use AirPlay2 directly from the AppleTV to the Naim…and that works (with volume remote control), but in my experience, unfortunately, that connection it’s not very stable and the AppleTV always forgets the connection, every time you turn off the AppleTV you need to reconnect again (only with the Apple speakers that behavior is different, I wish vendors like Naim would negotiate a solution with Apple, since it’s not a technical issue but an obviously a commercial decision for this behavior) not very family-friendly solution…

Btw, for someone looking to use the AppleTV has a Roon remote (big screen cover pics, control volume, next track, etc) there’s already a fantastic app “Roon TV Remote” that works very well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve ordered mine. 3-4 weeks delivery for me here in the French West Indies… can’t wait.

I’m going to upgrade my old AppleTV to the 4K version to get lossless also…. if I could just get that fiber cable dragged in to the house…

3 Likes

What about using the Atom HE as just a preamp between an NDX2 and an amp like a NAP 250 DR? In other words using the analog output from the NDX2 DAC?
I’ve done this using the RCA analog output from my ND555 into the HE and the output from the HE into my 300DR.
I would like to downsize from ND555/300 to NDX2/250.
I could then reduce my box count from 7 to 3.
The alternative could be SN3, NDX2, Atom HE or just Atom HE/250 DR.

The analogue input is digitised, so I would expect this to dilute any potential benefit from a separate source.

I suppose it does. I’ve tried connecting the analog input of the HE to snalog out of my ND555. It sounds better than the naked HE but I expect it could be even better w/o that analog to digital to analog conversion going on in the HE
I’m willing to sacrifice some SQ for convenience. I find I’m using my Gen 2 Mu-So and Atom HE more than my 500 level system because it’s so convenient…

I might pick up a NAP 250 DR and have a cable made up to connect it to the Atom HE just to see how it works. If it doesn’t work, I can keep the 250 DR and sell the 300 DR since I don’t use it all that much.

Someone posted that Atom SE as preamp is inferior vs a bare 272 preamp. So I guess it would be something as Ndx2/ 202/ 250.

I wonder about NDX2/Atom HE/250
The one box I won’t give up is the Atom HE. Headphone listening is very important to me and the
HE is a joy to use. One box, great remote, enjoyable listening with all music sources.

1 Like

I wanted to point that maybe the HE preamp would be the weak link, in Ndx2/ Atom HE as pre/ 250.
Maybe Atom HE/ 200, 2 boxes, would be better balanced?

It’s a matter of tradeoffs. I’m a source first guy so my inclination is to include the NDX2. Then I have to include the Atom HE in the mix. Now I’m up to two boxes. I could complete the package with an SN3. That probably makes the most sense.
I wouldn’t have to obtain another cable. I can use my Ansuz D2 DIN/DIN between the NDX2 and SN3.
Now I could dispose of my ND555/NAC 552/300 DR and the Chord Musics I’m using to the 300DR.
So what’s wrong with that?
I’ve owned an SN3 and the amplifier section isn’t as good as the 250 DR.
So if the analog section of the Atom HE was up to a NDX2 to NAP 250 connection that would solve the problem.
What’s keeping me from trying it are cables. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on cables unless I know it will work and if I don’t spend a lot of money I won’t be happy with the results.
I should just let sleeping dogs lie unless or until I’m forced to downsize.

1 Like