NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I‘m sure they sound absolutely fantastic! ZMFs are my favorites.
What cable do you use?

I’m just using the OFC cable with balance 4.4mm. I don’t want to mess around with cables just yet. Want to get a feel of how stock sounds. I’m also using the suede pads. Have Caldera thick pads I haven’t tried yet. Might order the regular stock pads at some later point. The Caldera are my first experience with ZMF. Never heard their stuff before.

Been posting impressions over at head-fi. Posted over here really to confirm the Naim HE pairs quite nicely with it.

2 Likes

I posted this on head-fi but figured it makes sense to post here too.

So I never really tested this before but thought I’d compare the single ended connection vs the 4.4mm. Well it’s not a completely fair comparison since using the stock ZMF cable vs the included OFC 4.4mm. But really shocked that difference is more than I expected. The balanced out is not a true balanced but still supposed to offer improvement. It’s also not outputting a stronger signal like true balanced amps do. Threw on Bullet the Blue Sky by U2 with singled ended cable and was not impressed. Not sure I’d recommend the Naim HE like this. While still nice, it was less dynamic and had a more blended sound. Put the 4.4mm balanced back on and the sound opened up and drums had real impact. Volume was unchanged. Seemed to have blacker background.

Now this could very well just be a cable upgrade making the difference and not the balanced out but would think that’s playing a part. I do have ZMF highest end Verite Silver 4.4mm on order but not sure when that will arrive. See if it improves things further. But even when had Utopia or Expanse, only listened in balanced with the XLR output. Someone claimed the 4.4mm connection was better and figure had nothing to lose to order ZMF in 4.4mm if that truly was the case.

3 Likes

I read many discussions about how XLR compares to 4.4mm and all agreed that XLR is the better, more solid plug.
4.4mm simply made it possible to have balanced cables on mobile devices (and the flimsy 2.5mm balanced connection)

Did you intend to buy the cat a comfy new chair, or did you naively think it was for you?

There is some info on the Naim Classics thread regarding the difference between the two straight from Steve Sells:

It has made me think differently about the expected sound difference between balanced and unbalanced with headphones. It may suggest that the cables made more of a difference than the connection?

I was actually kind of surprised that the 222 didn’t have all the same headphone connections if they added the improved headphone amp inside.

I don’t have a direct way to test 4.4mm vs single ended with same grade cable. The stock cable sells for $60 and the OFC, for $100. So price wise we’re not talking that much of a difference. The Verite Silver is a big jump in price and supposed quality. I should have that maybe be end of the week.

Do want to point out most of the improvements were in the channel separation and how it effected the soundstage for the better. Single end had less width with more of the sound focused around the center. Instrument separation seemed blended. Balanced open it up in width but also depth just felt more real. A better sense of space.

As far as the XLR vs the 4.4mm, I also chose it because I think the unit looks better with headphones plugged in the front and don’t lose an extra foot having to wrap it around from the back. It also auto switches to headphone mode when plugged in. There have been many a time I have forgotten to press the headphone/preamp button and took a few minutes to realize why there was no sound.

I have no interest in the new 222. It above my price range and probably really shines with extra power supply. And don’t think worth it for headphones alone. Upgraded power cable on the HE is good enough for me.

1 Like

Chair was a hand me down from my dad and was my listening chair. The cat is a new addition with in the last few months. He lets out a sound when I sit in the chair and tries to poke me from the back. With trimmed nails, not that much of an issue. But now tend to listen on the couch on other side of the end table. Apparently the Maine Coon keeps growing until they’re 4 yrs old. Should end up around 18-20lb. Luckily they’re one of the gentlest breeds as well. More like a stuff animal.

1 Like

Steve explained the lack of other connectors as them going for the most popular connector.

The 222 is certainly not for someone looking only for a headphones solution. For myself it would slot in nicely as my one Atom He is driving a NAP250DR. But that is for the future.

I was mostly intrigued by his in depth explanation of the connectors.

I’ve been making my way thru all those posts. You seem to be the only one asking about the headphone output. It’s still kind of shame for that cost they didn’t include the extra connections. Hard to say if you’ll loss anything with single ended. Will gain better resolution and control but possible could come at sacrifice of larger soundstage. If you were hooking to an external headphone amp, the new 222 is the clear winner without taking cost into the equation.

And normally with cable changes, it slight changes in tone and little difference in soundstage due to extra clarity. The 4.4mm definitely has a better presentation than single ended in the way it separates the sound. At least with my Caldera.

1 Like

Think it’s also a case of space in the box vs the purpose of the device.

But what I read in Steve’s replies was that the 222 will outperform the HE on headphones, so that is using the unbalanced connection.

1 Like

I did see that but still need to keep in mind if your particular headphone will perform better with the balanced connection. If the 222’s improved DAC helps with better flow, resolution, more refined sound but doesn’t improve over the HE single end soundstage, not sure I’d take that improvement. I actually think the HE’s less technical performance compared to other setups doesn’t hurt it because it’s still so musically and enjoyable.

I had the Chord Dave setup with mscaler before and while it’s more technical, I didn’t enjoy it as much. Same with headphones. I think the Expanse is technically the better headphone over the Caldera but I enjoy the Caldera so much more. It’s colored, little looser, but oh so much fun.

I guess only way to find out is to hear it for yourself. I’m sure they’ll hopefully be some comparisons in the future.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. My first order of business is sorting out my speakers situation so any serious thoughts of the 222 will have to wait. By then there should be enough info about real world experiences with it.

I am actually really happy with my HE.

2 Likes

I’d also imagine at that price range, there might be better options for headphones. If I had the money, I would just add Woo WA23 headphone amp to the HE and then add the 222 later. But think I’m at my end game. Once I have my new cables and headphone stand from ZMF I’m done. Possible pad swap would be last thing. The only thing is I lost access to my listening chair.

6 Likes

As was mentioned above, how did you ever think you were getting that chair for yourself with THAT in the house :rofl:

Stunning cat!

Didn’t even realize I posted that pic in this thread already. Swapped with similar pic. But yeah, new to cats, so don’t realize they stake their claim. That chair never worked for the dog. He prefers the couch. But if he’s in my spot can just throw a toy.

2 Likes

Even cooler pic of the cat!

Yeah they pretty much take over and move vertically in the house. And when you throw a toy for THEM they give little paw gestures telling you what to go do with yourself.

1 Like

Hello ,
I own a NDX used as streaming transport, feeding the nDac which is connected to a PSU XPS-DR.
I am interested by the Atom HE ( one box , new streaming platform + preamp to connect it to my power amp)
Should I loose quality ?

Tks

Pierre

1 Like

Yes, it will be a big step down. Not sure what preamp you use now, and obviously this is relevant, but unless your system is very badly set up it should sound miles better than an Atom.

Would the new 222 be a better option for you? Higher end streamer, dac, preamp.