NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp!

I had a 272, it was better than the HE as a pre, obviously not as a headphone amp, and not a roon endpoint. All the tradeoffs made me choose the HE over the 272, in addition sn3/ndx2 for my second system. I thought about using a second roon capable streamer with one of the inputs in the the 272, but didnt want any redundancy. All that being said, the HE is excellent as a pre/streamee. I agree with you with respect to 272 replacement, id guess that they have a ps upgrade for it(or two!)

2 Likes

Wonder if they’ll integrate the HE headphone amp into any of their higher end streamers? I think the HE does wonderful job with the Utopia but that’s probably more to do with the headphone amp section than the Dac. With dcs putting out a $30k headphone system, there are probably some people willing to buy higher end Naim HE systems that could add separate power supply. I don’t think I’m one of them.

Does anyone use a CD transport as a source to the HE? If so which one and which input (Optical/ Coax/Analog :scream:).

I like the idea of the matching footprint to the HE/Atom and would serve the WFH market, but may be a bit niche?

Re the 272 replacement - it remains watch this space :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Its as good as any preamp dac streamer for the money. Great for someone with a small home or apartment. Running mine with nap100 amp it is excellent. Who uses CD’s?

1 Like

I’m using a denon dj cd player as transport through coax to atom. Not a SQ choice, just what I had at home. I very rarely listen to CD so that was enough for me.

I use a Cambridge Audio CXC through a good quality coax cable. It sounds excellent. But I do miss the cover art compared to when streaming tbh. :hugs:

BR,
Richard

1 Like

Thanks All - re the CD front end.

What front end do people use to stream to the HE. I’ve got an Innuos Zenith Mk 3 1 TB with a Roon Core. What do other people use?

A Mac Mini as Roon Server.

Intel nuc with roon rock. I’ve tried Spotify, Chromecast, Airplay and Naim native app. Roon is the best and easiest. Chromecast can be glitchy. Airplay 2 doesn’t have lossless if using Apple Music. Don’t care much for Naim Native app. Kind of slow.

I’ve also hardwired iPad mini, using usb to coaxial converter to the Naim. Sounds excellent and plays hires but lose playback functionality on the remote and no album art. Kind of defeats the beauty of the Naim’s streaming functionality.

Picking up a DCA Expanse tomorrow. People are giving me grief that seem to think the Naim HE is subpar or something. Won’t have enough power. Saw some who say the Stealth paired well, so would think the new Expanse should too. I guess I’ll be the test subject.

I get that a lot of people buying TOTL headphones have big bucks and buy expensive systems to go with it but as we’ve seen in this thread some prefer the Naim HE even over the dcs Bartok. I have no plans to give up the Naim HE. So if the Expanse doesn’t pair well, they’ll go back. Perhaps give the Meze Elite shot since that seems to work great.

1 Like

Funnily enough there are two or three firms that make CD transports to the same footprint as Atom HE
ProJect at price points between £500 & £2,000 plus, Cyrus and Heed

Curious to hear your feedback. I did compare the Utopia’s to the Maze Elite and preferred and ended up buying the Focals, but the descriptions around the Expanse sound intriguing.

Finally arrived. Naim Uniti Atom HE

Impressive unboxing experience.
Quality through out. Even the stock power cable is so well made.

First impression.
1st, I’m blinded by the aesthetics.
2nd, Sound so musical and fantastic and I totally forgotten it is only 1.5W…
3rd, Easily run my Arya at best or even better than my previous setup with 7W output, gotta admit but true.

Somehow the app run way snappier than the previous Uniti Atom. Definitely better the 3.5mm output from it.

Letting it burn in now…till I hear it again tomorrow.
Will try the preout to my power amp as well.
Absolutely recommended.

13 Likes

Beautiful! Enjoy. :headphones: :notes:

1 Like

I’m actually really happy with the sound of the Focal Utopia with it. Getting the Expanse was sort of my reward to myself for recent promotion. Was looking for a headphone that doesn’t let as much sound in but still open. I plan to only keep one of these headphones, so would be perfectly happy ending up with the Utopia. The new model coming out this week doesn’t interest me since it would just a minor revision of the sound and if buying something new, want something different.

3 Likes

Enjoy… if you have a spare Naim Power-Line or other high end cable pop it on the Atom HE. It does make a very positive difference!

I have found that the Atom HE receives a negative rap from some quarters. Especially those who are set on having a separate Streamer, DAC and power amp etc. I mean, how could this one box be better?!? There is a certain snobbery at times but coming from someone who has had a high end separate headphone system, the Atom HE competes and often betters!

And that’s before we turn to functionality, being able to go from YouTube, iPhone, Mac to Roon outputs without touching the HE. The rock solid WiFi connection meaning just one cable is needed. Which in turn means you can pick it up and mover it to any room you want with ease!

If Naim ever come out with a high end version (or higher end one) then I’ll be on it in a flash.

2 Likes

Thanks man…will definitely look into it the Power line. Is the Powerline Lite that comes with it good?

I’d imagine it will be better than a standard cable but it’s quite surprising how much can be gained from a higher end cable. While the bass improves, texture and detail etc it also seems to help soundstage, especially depth. It reminded me of how a bit of room treatment can help improve clarity, focus and precision of the imaging.

If you know of anyone who has a good cable, Power-Line or Furutech etc, see if you can borrow one. That way you can test it out before spending any extra. If you have a Naim dealer, they may well be happy to let you borrow one!

Currently I’m using Furutech PS950. Wow…I assume it can scale more…hmmm but the Powerline also cost 1/3 of it.

At the moment, I’m using Powerstrada #309 with Furutech Rhodium NCF UK three pin + Furutech FI-50 NCF Rhodium. They sound terrific with the HE.

Not sure but if the Furutech PS950 cable uses the non NCF version, it could be an option just to upgrade it with the NCF plugs. That said, I’d imagine that is already great cable. The Power-Line might not better it but, it’s a preference thing and comes down to how you hear it.

Edit… by the way, the HE will just get better and better over the next 50 hours or so it will be changing and on that basis, use what you have now or can borrow as you may find you’re happy as is!

1 Like