Nice Photos

21 Likes

Are you doing the Munro’s Ian or do you already have that ticked off your bucket list? It was something I fancied but I found living in Kent too much of a challenge….

Hi Stuart,

I became a Munro Compleator in 2016; I figured getting the biggest ones done before I hit my 50s made sense! I am now climbing the Corbetts, Fionas, Donalds and Marilyns concurrently, depending on weather and availability of time on any given weekend, though I do like to try and get out as often as possible - the mountains are my happy place and regular climbs maintain hill fitness. I’m over half way through the Corbetts, which I am trying to prioritise, but had a strange year last year meaning I climbed far fewer than I would have hoped. So, it seems like my strategy of climbing the Munros first was a sound one.

I hear you on the travelling from Kent; living near Inverness, as I do, means most of the main ranges are within a 3 driving hours radius, many significantly closer.

Cheers,

Ian

6 Likes

A Vauxhall Firenza. Haven’t seen one for years.

DG…

1 Like

Well done Ian, great achievement. I think I only got up to about 40 as I was more interested in modest snow and ice climbs in the Western Highlands. I slum it in North Wales and the Lakes these days with the dogs. Mountains are definitely my special place too!

2 Likes

Low tide and green grass. Toot toot

And a flotilla of Thames barges

6 Likes

Have you heard of Munro Moonwalker, Ian? It’s an old pal of mine, who’s bagged the lot, written a couple of books, and is getting into calendars,

1 Like

No, not heard of him but just looked him up. Plenty of achievement there!

Good call. A friend’s father was the first Irish person to climb all the Munros, and he was 67 when he did it.

1 Like

The Monteath Mausoleum, the final resting place of General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas who served with the 35th Bengal Infantry (East India Company).
A very unusual building in an area of outstanding scenic beauty, located at Lilliardsedge in the beautiful Scottish Borders. This building was decrepit and was placed on the Scottish Buildings at Risk register until it was renovated in the last 5 years.

7 Likes

Maldon? If you’re not careful you’ll soon have people thinking Essex is about coastline, farming, pretty villages and big skies rather than TOWIE!

1 Like

The Matterhorn at dawn on a summer’s day. Apologies for resolution but photo was taken on iPhone 4.
A golden Toblerone goes to everyone who likes this photo!

23 Likes

Stunning picture👍🏼

I’m waiting for the Toblerone :yum:

2 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

Photo was taken on the spur of the moment when I awoke early and looked out of my hotel window. The light was changing very rapidly and I didn’t have enough time to grab a proper camera.
I took the picture at The Hotel Omnia, Zermatt, and I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing.

3 Likes

Can we at least have a virtual Toblerone?

2 Likes

Here’s a virtual Toblerone to keep you going, the real ones are stashed at the top of the mountain

12 Likes

I am from Maidstone & have lived away from there since 1978.

Had to travel from my home in Cornwall for a family funeral last week & the day after the funeral, the 27th January, I visited Scotney Castle, which is about 20 miles from Maidstone. Margaret & Dennis Thatcher rented an apartment on the estate when she was PM so they could occasionally escape from the pressures of government.

I was rewarded with a couple of hours of fantastic light considering it was the end of the years most miserable month. It only took 67 years to get there but was definitely worth the wait!

26 Likes

Scotney Castle is my absolute favourite NT place and we are regulars there. Particularly beautiful when the rhododendrons are in bloom