Nice Photos

13 Likes

Pont St Laurent, Macon

Dating from the Eleventh Century, one of the oldest bridges in France, and never (entirely) destroyed in WWII (one arch was blown up), making it one of the longest surviving bridges in France. The river (Saône) was canalised (1980) to allow shipping to pass without disturbing it, making - in effect - Mâcon’s twin, St Laurent (pictured), into an island.

19 Likes

11 Likes

In this particular case I prefer the color picture.

1 Like

You are welcome Sir.

This is what the Canadian wildfires are doing to the sky in western NY state - my sister took this photo yesterday. She said it felt weird because it seemed like dusk all day with the sun high in the sky.

Bad enough in NYC that the NY Yankees baseball game has been postponed.

Not so much “nice” as “interesting.”

4 Likes

.sjb

10 Likes

Visiting the local spots here in my new home in Alberta. This is Peyto Lake which is known for being shaped like the head of a Wolf.

22 Likes

Gosh, that is very beautiful and immense,

1 Like

Been there very nice, I do like the Highway 93 trip. Where in Alberta have you moved, we were in Edmonton for 14 years.

Tim

We are in South Calgary. I miss having the ocean close by like we had in Vancouver but looking forward to exploring the Rockies more in the next few years. Done the Icefields Parkway once to Jasper and hope to do it again in fall when it’s less busy. Supposedly one of the nicest drives you can do in the world.

Devon Air Ambulance at Ilfracombe on Wednesday

8 Likes

Yes I agree about the drive, make sure you also get out and about in Kananaskis country, especially just out of season there are so many places to stop and things to see. Further south is Peter Lougheed Provincial Park which I thought was fantastic and so quiet. Also make sure you get up the Highwood Pass and around Longueville.

I remember the Icefields Parkway, first went there in 2003 and then about 2017 and was shocked at how far the ice had receded.

Tim

Peter Lougheed Park is on the list, I’ve heard it’s a little quieter than the Banff/Lake Louise area. We tried stopping at Lake Louise when we were I the area the day before yesterday and were turned around due to no parking already. And on a Tuesday! It was pretty quiet when I was there in March to skate on it though, but still a few tourists. I talked to a family from London and gave them a hockey puck because they’d never seen one before lol.

1 Like

Amazing what you find at the side of the road almost in the middle nowhere on Shetland, A cake fridge and a plane in a field

14 Likes

Looking on line, the Athabasca Glacier is retreating 5m/16ft a year, and I was last there in 1996. I remember back then looking at this pine tree near the end of the glacier, no bigger than a home Xmas tree which our guide explained was 300 years old, kept small by the inhospitable conditions.

I have pictures from my drive up Highway 93 and it is spectacular although the Trans Canada Highway itself has amazing scenery as you head through the various parks. When I visited years back, I’d start out walking somewhere like Lake Louise early in the morning, around 6am, coughing loudly to discourage the bears (never saw one) and then retreat to a shady location somewhere along the Kicking Horse River and read a book/chat to the locals/Rangers or the Mounties in the afternoon.

Ended the day with beer, burger or something else wholesome and then repeat the pattern the following day. Met some great people doing that.

3 Likes

Very true. It was specifically constructed as a tourist route (I believe)
We have driven it several times and done quite a few hikes starting at different points along the route.

I still think that Lake O’Hara and it’s associated lakes/hikes is one of the most inspiring areas I have visited. But you do need to have the 'phone ringing the campsite booking line within 2 or 3 seconds of 08:00 to gat a three night booking !!

But let’s face it, the whole run of the Rockies from Mt Robson, down past Athabasca, Lake Louise, Kananaskis to Crypt Lake on the US boarder is filled with sights for sore eyes and day/week treks with wonderful views.

Enjoy.

1 Like

A few years ago, a couple of friends went to Western Canada for a few weeks. They asked for a few ideas regarding places to visit/hike. I based my list on personal experience as of 2000 to 2005 at that time.

Thought I might as well post a copy of my list below !!

Essential places to visit in Western Canada

Banff to Lake Louise

Lake Louise to Jasper (Icefields Parkway)

Lake Louise to Golden

Banff to Lake Louise

Banff town

Banff Gondola to Sulphur Mountain

Banff Springs Hotel

Sunshine Meadows – about 10km west of Banff. (08:30 bus from car park to meadows and 5:30pm return bus)

If there is only time for 1 day of hiking, this is the place to go. You get to walk in spectacular Alpine scenery at 8,000’ all day, for little effort. And because there are only a couple of bus-loads of people each day, it gives you a remarkable back-country feel.

Johnson Canyon and the Inkpots. About an hour and a half to the Inkpots. Well worth the full distance to the inkpots. Most people stop at the waterfall, but the inkpots are only a little further and more than double the enjoyment. You again get to see spectacular scenery and a backcountry feel at the inkpots.

Paint pots. Turn off at castle Mountain towards Radium and allow about an hour

Half-day hike to Stanley glacier. Again you need to turn off at Castle Mountain

Lake Louise and Mt Victoria. This is one of Canada’s iconic views. Less than 5 minute walk from the car park to the iconic view point. Best to get there early to avoid the crowds. The hike to the Plain of the Six Glaciers is worth the effort but will take all day and best to return via the Beehive and Lake Agnes.

Moraine Lake. This is another iconic view and not to be missed. You need to walk up onto the rubble “moraine” to get to the viewpoint. Worth taking a canoe trip to the far end of the lake. My second favourite day hike would be up Paradise Valley (access about halfway between Lake Louise and Moraine Lake) over Sentinel Pass and down into Moraine Lake. A whole day and a lot of effort, but the views are even better than Sunshine.

Lake Louise to Jasper (Icefields Parkway)

First, enjoy the drive, the scenery is astonishing. Stop off at the following points.

Bow summit

Peyto lake viewpoint – allow plenty of time to get peace between tourist busses.

Crowfoot glacier

Bow Lake and Num Tinja lodge

Parker Ridge – allow say 3 hours to walk over the ridge to see the Saskatchewan Glacier

Athabasca Glacier – either take a guided walk on the glacier (book in advance) or take the snow coach ride onto the glacier. Allow 4 hours altogether but don’t skimp.

Wilcox Pass – another half day hike with spectacular views of the Athabasca snowfield

Athabasca falls

Sunwapta falls

Angel Glacier – a bit off the main road, but well worth the hike.

Jasper town

Maligne Lake – boat tour to Spirit Island

Lake Louise to Golden

Spiral Tunnels

Takkakaw Falls – turn off at Field

Emerald lake – take a canoe trip

Not essential, and scattered hundreds of miles from Banff…… BUT….

Waterton Lakes

Lots of interesting places to visit

Crypt lake hike – take the early boat across the lake. And the last one back. You need a whole day and a head for heights (seriously). Probably one of THE top day hikes!

Crow’s Nest highway

Fernie

Nelson

Whistler

Barkersville – near Prince George. A preserved gold rush town with actors to bring it to life

Ferry from Port Hardy (north end of Vancouver Island) to Prince Rupert – 15 hour trip through fjords second to none.

Prince Rupert to Strewart/Hyder (Hyder is in Alaska)

Salmon Glacier – a 4 hour rough road trip up to the glacier

Almost certain to see grizzlies at Hyder

Calgary, Glenbow museum.

Wells Gray Country Park (about an hour north of Kamloops)

Clearwater –Grade 4 rafting, whole day and worth every penny – you WILL wind up in the water!

Tofino – West coast of Vancouver Island – take a float plane flight

3 Likes

Also, early in the morning I found the lake to be mirror flat for photos of the reflection of the glacier yet at around 6.30 am a wind comes down off that same glacier and ruffles the surface of the lake for the rest of the day.

Yes, back in 2003, i got up at c.05:00 to take a photo of Floe Lake before the sun had time to generate wind etc. I then crept back into my sleeping bag for another couple of hours Kip !

2 Likes