Nice Photos

What is that big dome in the background?

1 Like

@bhoyo

The National Botanic Garden of Wales, photo taken on 20 / 8 / 23 / Samsung A52 5G Mobile

1 Like

Thanks Geoff. It looks like a great place to visit.

1 Like

Sunset at Fawley on Southampton water

18 Likes

Red Squirrel at the Yorkshire Arboretum

21 Likes

Ben Wyvis, dominating the landscape near Dingwall on a lovely day.

Cheers,

Ian

23 Likes

Edinburgh Castle

G

21 Likes

Rockfish by the fish market? Fantastic fish and chips! We used to go to the one on the quayside in Dartmouth too, and listen to the nonsensical shipping forecast in the gents.

1 Like

Taking the road a little less travelled.

34 Likes

The first picture is lovely and sharp and really captures the personality of the squirrel. Good one.

Tim

Penang, Malaysia

17 Likes

Is that the Blue Mansion. I had a coffee there a few weeks ago!

From our hotel.

5 Likes

Back in my days at MacFisheries, rockfish was always huss or catfish. Looking at the Wiki thing it now seems a catchall term. Back in the 60s monkfish, along with halibut was quite a rarity and the most expensive fish in the shop.
I remember the manager going white, then red in the face when shown an article suggesting that salmon would end up cheaper than cod. How times have changed!

2 Likes

Don’t you mean Dogfish

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to picture what was in the boxes, then looked at pictures, I have a dilemma, being that catfish generally refers to freshwater fish, then dogfish must be correct, the cop out being that it is also known as cat shark…
Other than that, it was nearly 60 years ago.

1 Like

A few from my two days in Hamburg, a city I had never visited before.

10 Likes

I remember ‘rock salmon’ as a kid which was a marketing name for dogfish, which I think is also the cat shark, as you say, neither of which sound as appetising. It tasted good, battered and with chips, with salt and vinegar and as we grew older and more sophisticated, ketchup!

The Rockfish restaurants in Devon are just their brand name. For me fish and chips there with the family (or these days non-battered poached fish and vegetables :frowning:) is a key part of being in coastal Devon.

3 Likes

Names are strange things, we had a “training” book, it included names we were not allowed to use, all my older relatives called salt cod, toerag, that name was banned. Similarly, Coley, which was mainly sold for pet food was properly Green Cod, but apparently had connotations for gone off goods, so could not be used, strange, when green bacon was in common use for unsmoked.
Megrim was called just that, its now sold in posh restaurants as Cornish Sole.

Sadly, we have not holidayed in Devon for a long time. The first holidays were when I was junior school age, travelling in grandfathers laurel green Austin Devon, arriving before the caravan site allowed entry, lunch was always plaice and chips in the Corner Cafe, Woolacombe. The Red Barn was too posh and expensive. Tuesday night was a walk around Ilfracombe, always ending at the harbour where mum and gran had cockles, the rest of us haddock and chips.

4 Likes

What fantastic memories to have. Thanks for sharing.