Nice Photos

Full moon, church steeple, back yard - Exeter, 27 August 2023

16 Likes

Dartmouth, Devon, on a grey August day looking like one of those stylised paintings you see in art galleries where the houses just seem to pile on top of each other.

Always interesting but amazing when the sun is shining and the water is Mediterranean blue (just not today!)

20 Likes

It looks pretty unremarkable Ian, and yet I understand it can have a high avalanche risk in winter.

Second row, second house from left, second floor, right hand window, looking out in September 2015.

Willy.

4 Likes

My mother gave me this yesterday, her dad’s solid silver shooting (rifle) trophy.

Apparently he was very proud of this and clearly this wasn’t the worst skill to have at the time!

8 Likes

It can indeed, Stuart. This shot is more or less from the South (there’s no viable ascent from this side) from where it looks quite benign. Normal (and busiest) walking route is from the West, up the steep shoulder of An Cabar, visible on the left of my photo. The eastern and northern approaches, from Loch Glass, have a number of deep corries and steep-sided ridges. In good weather, these routes are far more interesting (and quieter) though some need the use of a mountain bike. With heavy snow cover, they are best avoided.

1 Like

Crane Park Shot Tower. It was open today so we climbed to the top. Exhibitions inside which were interesting. It is the only shot tower left in the country. Molten lead was poured from the top through a sieve and the pellets fell into a tank of cold water.

12 Likes

I never knew that. Interesting. :+1:

2 Likes

I grew up in Richmond and had never come across this! Thanks.

Train to Edinburgh.

G

25 Likes

Is there not also one in Bristol? Not active but still there.

I am sure you are right. There does seem to be others. I was repeating what I think it said in the exhibition inside the tower; could have misread it. There was a large 18th century gunpowder factory by the River Crane of which only the shot tower is left.

1 Like

Yes, I thought there was too.

I prefer the one @RWC posted!

1 Like

The one pictured is a listed building and replaced the original which was the origin of shot making by dropping molten lead into water.

5 Likes

Moose couple in Kananaskis Canada. Wanted a better pic but I didn’t want to stray from the vehicle. These things are huge!

11 Likes

Same building, different angle

12 Likes

The National Botanic Garden of Wales
Samsung A52 5G Mobile

10 Likes

Super Blue Moon this evening

29 Likes

Love it.