Trade

16 Likes

Where, please?

1 Like

Hi Andrew - it’s Felixstowe from Landguard Fort. BC

1 Like

And for a sense of scale

16 Likes

City of Derry/Londonderry, Peace Bridge in the midground, from Ebrington.

Taken through a window (that wouldn’t open enough) hence the tree lights reflected at the top of the image.

Willy.

20 Likes

Nice, those reflections add something.

Thank you for posting the ‘bloke’! As a kid I was taken down to Tilbury Docks to see an ACL container ship of 1,250 TEU. The one in your picture is over 24,000. I struggle to comprehend the size of it.

1 Like

I bet that the container that ‘Bloke’ needs, isn’t in the top layer … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

My childhood memories of London docks are more like this

I would think the cargo in all these ships would hardly make a dent in that one shown.

20 Likes

I was only saying to someone this week at work that I would love to have seen England’s docks and fishing ports in their prime.

3 Likes

I have a memory from the late 60s or early 70s of the occasional mast or funnel top visible above the dock walls on the way into the City. But no more than that. And nothing after that time.

2 Likes

My Grandad was an engineer and often had to collect parts he needed from the docks. He would take me for a ride to show me the docks. I was allowed by the dockers to wander around while waiting for the parts to be located and loaded. Fascinated me as a small boy. By the time I was sixteen ish ( early 70’s) all that had changed and the docks were in decline with few ships able to come in. Larger ships and containers sounding the death knell. Also air freight became cheaper and quicker, especially for parts required to keep large machines running for industry.

4 Likes

New use for some of the docks.
Blackwall basin

21 Likes

I worked for the London Docklands Development Corporation in the 90’s - Isle of Dogs, whilst living in Canning Town. My step-dad was about 16 I think, in the British Army, stationed at the Royal Docks during the bombing raids in WWII.

6 Likes

Fire and Rain

21 Likes

Few recent things.
Some Nice, some nice, some both.

Nice boats (‘pointus’)

Nice power station

Nice wake

Nice football crowd
(as Nice beat Reims 2:1, anyway)

Home sweet home

35 Likes

Congratulations on your photos, both for the taste in the shots and for the photographic technique! :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Nervi (Genoa) today at 4pm

25 Likes

3 Gaudi shots from today’s tour of the City on the open top bus.
Beautiful warm sunny day😊

25 Likes