Nice Photos

17 Likes

Spring Carpet

12 Likes

At Peterborough Cathedral

15 Likes

Common ground

Surprising each other on the trail. We both had our winter coats on, trying to stay warm under the weak sun rays on a cold blustery day.

14 Likes

Newly curated instagram gallery @graemehutton196 if anyone’s curious.

G

29 Likes

Dragon Boat racing Darling Harbour Sydney

18 Likes

Just had a look via @mrsfotobrooks Instagram. Nice feed and I think she is now following you. I deleted my feed last year, became fed up with all the ads.

1 Like

She is indeed. I’ve reciprocated - thanks.

G

1 Like

Last of England, earlier.

19 Likes

How many gardeners does it take to change a bulb?

7 Likes

Snow and cloud-capped Ben Wywis

Loch Ruthven

Cheers,

Ian

35 Likes

@IanF you’ll probably say oh I know all that. But in that last pic you have pictured a rare item. It’s a triangulation station or trigonometrical point or when it’s at home just a trig.

The process of erecting these pillars for geo surveying began in 1936 and when all the trig points were in place, it was possible in clear weather to see at least two other trig points from any one trig point.

6 Likes

Pub Before Rain Rain Before Pub?

15 Likes

Hi Andy,

I do indeed, as a regular hillwalker, know all that! They are not that rare though; there are 6190 of them throughout the UK and an awful lot here in Scotland, including a number of the cylindrical ‘Vanessas’.

Cheers,

Ian

5 Likes

Ben Nevis Trig point

(Son in foreground).

Willy.

14 Likes

Slieve Donard trig point.

Encased in ice atop the cairn.

Willy.

20 Likes

Just get to the Ribs and be done with it!

1 Like

My father was in the Ordnance Survey for over 40 years including his service in the army. He didn’t erect any trig points which was really hard work carrying all the materials up the mountains. Even working on towns and roads etc he would often walk up to 8 miles a day carrying a heavy drafting board. He was once in a field with a colleague and a bull charged them; my father leapfrogged the hedge but his colleague had to use the board to protect himself and when my father looked over the hedge the bull was staggering away! I used to help him in the school holidays.
As a walker I love OS maps and enjoy working out routes before the walk and looking at them after the walk to remind me of where we have been.

10 Likes

We spent our last weekend in Valtellina and we got on an incredible and beautiful Swiss red train from Tirano(I) to St.Moritz(CH),the Bernina.

29 Likes

Maybe focusing is not the best as it was taken through the window glass.