Non Naim Fantasy system

Indeed - a whole array of bands, and an orchestra with half a dozen conductors… Would need two “listening rooms, or one with two or more stages and a swivel listening seat so the next band can be getting ready for immediate changeover!

Mine would be : vertere sg1/ lyra etna/ CAT SL1 Legend or VAC signature pre ( both with wonderful phono pre inbuilt), linn kdsm katalyst, Kharma Exquisite speakers, Lamm M2.2 monoblocs.

image image

@frenchrooster,…A tip,.I would choose the latest Linn Klimax DS Katalyst before it stopped being manufactured.

It sounds better than Linn Klimax DSM.
This is also,.because you have already chosen a pre in your wishful system.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Sounds like S1Mk2 could be perfect for you. And they come in a variety of color finishes

“Candy Red” makes quite a statement! I think they’re beautifully shaped.

1 Like

the klimax ds 3 is not produced anymore…unfortunately

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…I know,.it was wrong in my translation.
You get to buy it preloved instead.

/Peder🙂

it’s more non naim fantasy system, wish fantasy…

Encouraging, as I have a Klimax DS and am about to get it upgraded to Katalyst

1 Like

are you sure the klimax ds3 sounds better vs kdsm katalyst? i understood they are the same, the kdsm having just more features as the pre and digital out.

2 Likes

I might be going low end Non Naim Fantasy soon. We’re moving into a rental property with no mains earth (the norm in Japan) in 6 months while we build a new house. So that takes using my Naim system entirely off the table.

Got my heart set on playing with entry level Luxman tube amp and DAC into my cheapo Qacoustics 3010 or 2010i (still in storage somewhere).

2 Likes

There are some new smaller size Luxman CD player and tube amp, they look as if they are designed for desk top use, but of course with some decent pricing . In the UK about £5,500 for CD :cd: player and tube amp. Are these what you mean? I think :thinking: they look a very good proposition as well as for a second system , later on.

Well nothing is certain yet. Luxman have this odd line up where the CD players double as DACs and they have no streamers.

I was thinking of pairing the DA-250 DAC with MQ-88uC tube amp. Which comes in at about 570,000JPY to me (about GBP 4,300). But they have a non valve power amp designed for the DA-250 called the M-200. And they are not full width so would fit on my midi sized Quadraspire rack that currently houses the HiCap and HeadLine. That would make for one damned cute little system. And the M-200 can be bridged mono from 25w to 70w and two cost less than one MQ-88uC. … I could possibly still drive my PMCs. and it would still be a 3 box system on a tiny rack.

M-200

DA-250

I’ve never had a tube before so like everyone who hasn’t there is a fascination. But it needs the big rack, burns a ton of electricity if left on (but you don’t do that with tubes).

MQ-88uC

There’s a couple dealers up in Sapporo where we are moving back to. I’ll forge a relationship and see what I can borrow. I have to bear in mind, whatever I get will, 18 months later, end up as a workshop or office system so not to go crazy.

1 Like

When I build my next system I’m seriously considering moving away from Naim but with a big powerful SS amp or maybe even a very powerful D Class. I 'm really curious to hear what a lot more power would do for my Dynaudio Contour S3.4’s.

Bob - Don’t give up on Naim combined with Contours easily. I am currently ‘slumming it’ on my Contour 60s with the spare CB 250 connected up whilst the NAP 300 is in for DR conversion. It is so good that I don’t want to give it up, much better than expected. A pretty good warm up act for the forthcoming main event !

FWIW, my mate drives the S3.4 with Accuphase amps and DAC and says the results are fantastic. He did a lot of box swapping for several years, including borrowing a Gryphon Diablo but stopped on Accuphase. He never tried Naim though. If you can get past the gain meters and gold fascia, it may be worth a try.

how was the diablo sounding ? i was often curious about it.

Hi Dynaudio1 I’ve run the S3.4’s with a 250-2, 250DR, 300, 180, CB250 and Olive 250 and it sounded great with all of them. I’m running it with a Uniti Mk1 now and it sounds great with that to these are phenominal speakers and I just want to try them with some real power.
II heard them with a big Hegel integratred and it really got a hold of the drivers it didn’t have the boogie factor of the Naim amps I’ve owned but it had more slam.

Sounds excellent - Contours certainly benefit from a bit of oomph and volume set to 11, that is for sure !

I wasn’t there so I don’t know. But both my mate and the owner of the Diablo agreed that the much lower powered Accuphase integrated sounded better on the Dyns.

1 Like

I tried the Sonneteer Orton. It’s not sounding too fantasy as I wanted/expected it to be. The 282/250DR/HicapDR wins it for me.

1 Like