Not "liking" legendary bands or artists

Seeing great ‘new’ performers is to be applauded - they need the money. It is also often brilliant - I saw the marvellous Jon Gomm last year and will see people I have never heard of at a couple of festivals later this year and at 2 late-night proms. However, that’s a long way from liking or not liking legendary bands, so we may be leading the thread a long way off piste…

All I get from a thread like this is an impression of every contributor being part of the ‘I have an opinion and I’m going to express it’ disease :roll_eyes:

Pretty much like the internet then.

Errrr…

3 Likes

The goal of this topic at least

No “older” in the thread title! But either way, my point stands.

Why do many of these so-called legendary bands not want to admit their age? They act and think they are still 18 years old and Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen and Bono are the worst examples.

1 Like

Me neither! T*sser!

There is a difference between admitting age and acting/thinking as if you are a particular age. I don’t know whether any of those examples don’t admit their ages. From the admittedly little I’ve seen/heard I think Mick Jagger shows a lot more maturity in the way he behaves and speaks these days than back in the 60s/70s. No idea about the other two. As for acting/thinking, how should a person of, say, Mick Jagger’s age act and think? I am 68, but I don’t act like my parents did at my age, and know some people of similar age to me who from their behaviour and attitudes I would have put them at least a decade or two older. Interestingly I ran a thread a couple of years or so ago asking how old people feel mentally, because I have remained feeling 18-19 mentally since I reached that age, though the mirror tells me different, as does my ability in certain areas, while I do have a more mature outlook generally and a lot more more knowledge and wisdom.

2 Likes

At work yesterday a colleague said I’m the Keith Richards of our team (at 69 I’m the oldest) - I’ll take that as a compliment! :thinking:

2 Likes

Could’ve been Wendy Richards I suppose.

1 Like

Now that would have been a compliment!

Someone has to stand up for ‘Pet Sounds’ and its aborted follow-up ‘SMiLE’, so that might as well be me!

Both albums are works of genius from the troubled mind of Brian Wilson.

2 Likes

Not many musicians have made such great music as Bruce Springsteen throughout his long career - (in my opinion, of course).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.