nova+Harbeth 40 p3 Bloated, swollen, mushy!

I ran Harbeth P3ESRs off a Naim Unitilite as my main system for a long time. It was a great pairing, for me. I have never found the P3s to be particularly demanding but they are relatively high resolution speakers and will show off the warts of your source and amplification. As for the OP, I’m sorry to hear about the troubles. I agree with the advice though, get all of that other gear out of the room and then have a listen. I can’t imagine my Unitilite would be driving P3s better than a Nova. The only other thing to consider is room acoustics and whether anything else in the room changed at the same time?

1 Like

I agree that having multiple speakers in the room can degrade the sound, and you could easily test this by temporary removing the unused speakers from the room.
Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was more going on that just passive resonance of the unused speaker drivers, and I think your idea of moving to NDX2/202/200 is likely to give you a big improvement as long as the equipment is in good condition and properly set up.

On their day superb - like lashings of power (I would normally insert a slightly naughty picture at this time but my last picture of Miss Whiplash was , alas censored .) However they can be less than superb on certain occassions

A talk beckons with my dealer as to stay with Nova and move speakers or move speakers and keep Nova. It’s not always a happy marriage - many times superb but sometimes not.

best wishes

I do wonder if there is a potential troll in our midst ? It seems very odd to have Star and Nova as well as multiple models of Harbeth speakers .

Sort of thing a dealer would display, especially with a very expensive pair of 800 series speakers

7 Likes

I see you have 2 pairs of Harbeth P3? It is unfortunate you are having problems with your system and nobody can tell you about the differences between the Nova and Star. I can only relate my experience with Harbeth SHL5 and other Naim amps.

Based on your description, the P3ESR sounds more open in the treble with the Star and has an overall lean sound in the midrange and treble. With the Nova, the treble lacks extension and sounds rolled off, dull or sparkle, and the overall sound is thick with bloated bass. Since I don’t have experience with Star and Nova, I can’t comment on the amps. In my experience, the Harbeth will sound dull in the treble, thick in the midrange and bloated in the bass if they are driven by underpowered amps or warm sounding amps. In other words, a sound that lacks sparkle and life, a dead sound. I got some of that when I used Nait XS to drive the Harbeth SHL5.

I would recommend that you try at least the 202/200 with the P3ESR to see how the separates will compare to the Star and Nova. The SHL5 sounds more open, dynamic and lively with the 202/200. The speakers sound dull and dead with the Nait XS. The P3ESR is a more difficult speaker to drive than the SHL5 so it actually deserves something more powerful.

1 Like

My Nova and Harbeth P3ESR .

I have none of the issues mentioned . Upper range whether it’s violins , soprano voices excellent

2 Likes

Perhaps we could do a reverse experiment. Maybe you could get in a few random pairs of speakers and a couple more Unitis and see if you can destroy the sound.

3 Likes

It’s quite a happy pairing, most of the time and I have none of the issues mentioned, rather sometimes instead of a mighty sound like from a Ducati

You get this instead

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 17.20.25

I’m not beating myself up or wailing and grinding my fillings , I am thinking of a change. Very happy with sources , just not entirely sure about the marriage of Nova and P3ESR .

best wishes

1 Like

Hi,

How does your Nova / Star sound with other speakers ? Do you notice the same differences ? (I think you have B&W too).

If you move to 202/200/ Nd5xs2, without moving your unused equipment between the speakers, you risk to have even more problems than you have now. And you will open probably a fourth thread like « 202/200/ Nd5xs2 ,very bloated, swollen, mushy »

2 Likes

Why would you continue to make the same mistake? again. Most people cannot (absolutely) predict how different equipment will sound, especially in a problematic room. Just “moving up” the naim hierarchy is no guarantee of improved perceived sound, in your room. Instead of just throwing more money at it, decide not to cut corners, work with a reputable dealer and arrange for home demoes , take advantage of their expertise (LISTEN) and then finally assemble a system you can enjoy.

Maybe not a troll, but when the forum gives advice on more than one thread, only to have it constantly disregarded.
Whatever it is, its just as annoying as a real troll.

3 Likes

You might have hit the nail…

2 Likes

The RAH organ will sound superb using Ovators :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a single thankyou to those bothering to help, says a lot to me.

4 Likes

It seems he won’t listen, and possibly a troll. But I may have the ultimate resolution to both, then we can all stop replying.

Move the kit you want to listen to and sort out to another room, say a living room, and set it up as if it were a listening area, it can’t take that long if you are an enthusiast and know what you are doing. Maybe 15 minutes of your time.

See how it sounds there. If you are not willing to do that, you’re a troll, or a know it all, that’s not willing to take advice.

Mic drop

4 Likes

I hope I am wrong - and it is simply miscommunication, but why would the OP notmention having a pair of B&W 800 series speakers?
Why does that look like a fairly high end dealers showroom?

Time to close this thread in my view.
It’s going nowhere and giving this person a platform.

3 Likes

I will suggest to maybe sell the Naim kit and look for something else. The OP is obviously unhappy and unwilling to be swayed. Shame.

1 Like

Unwilling? That absolutely fine but why then post numerous times seeking advice.