nova+Harbeth 40 p3 Bloated, swollen, mushy!

For all those that have helped me in the past, a huge Thank you!

3 Likes

I am just as exasperated as everyone is, but please keep in mind that there is a language barrier, I believe the OP is in China, and Google Translate may be involved. And the location seems to make the “try dealer” thing more difficult, if I remember the older threads correctly.

Still doesn’t explain not mentioning the B&Ws, mind you. Would be interesting if the Nova is bloated, swollen and mushy with the B&Ws as well, and so easy to try …

Now that I look at the pictures closely, they are blurry, that is at best a print screen captured from computer.

Scott

Till the forum had not refunded him for his Nova, there will be no thanks you.
I wonder if the OP doesn’t consider the Naim forum as a « customer, after sales service ».

1 Like

I have seen the P3ESR on the Harbeth forum described as the most difficult to drive …

The website describes it as easy to drive . When I was thinking of downsizing the amplifier to a XS3/Flatcap pairing , the dealer said it would not be a happy pairing.

His own system is a Nagra and P3ESR . I got them when I had 200/202 and they were ok, since I moved to a single box amp, still reasonable and sometimes outstanding (especially on higher range material) sometimes less so.

1 Like

Thank you for your warm reply. I will try my best. At the same time, I have tried many methods. After all, I own this machine, not just the fixed placement on the photos. I will continue to experiment with other methods. However, if the conditions for its good sound are extremely harsh, I may be offended by me. In fact, I have questioned its performance, After all, Nova is only an all-in-one machine, and everyone has different requirements for sound. I think I can sell it to people who need it second-hand, because the motivation to buy the all-in-one machine is for convenience, but now I want to cooperate with P3, because I like the timbre of Naim, and I want the perfect sound performance of Naim. Whether nova is good or bad, I must replace 202 200, This will certainly improve. At the same time, I also bought sugdena21se, which will arrive tomorrow. I will switch with Naim.

2 Likes

Your understanding is very good. Your XS can’t drive shl5 well. The power of Nova is enough, but the control power of the front stage is insufficient. In the final analysis, the grade is not enough to drive P3 well

I envy you. If you say so, I always feel that there are individual differences in my dull nova, special edition :tired_face:

hat’s the B & w804d2 speaker. I’ve been tossing with it for many years. I’m tired of listening. Although each has its own characteristics, I’m infatuated with the sound of P3 and want the perfect sound of P3.

Maybe the 202 200 will be bloated, but I don’t doubt the quality of the 202 200. I must have failed to adjust well. I will try various methods, but I don’t have the means and confidence to control nova. In fact, I also bought an advanced Naim power cord, but there is no qualitative change, because Nova has some hard quality, so it’s really unnecessary to invest,

I first played B & w805 804. When the 804 matched perfectly, I lost power. Then I bought a p340 anniversary + star to listen to the company. I thought the sound was very good. I bought another pair of P3 XD. The power amplifier was upgraded to Nova. I put a pair of mistresses at home. I like P3 after the rain very much. It is small and flexible. Vocals, violins, symphonies, actually,

I’ve tried Nova + 804. Nova can’t drive B & w804 well. The performance is high pitched, thick, boring and no details. The sound performance has no reference value

Another possibility is that the equipment rack is thick and moist, which is not suitable for Nova

OK, thanks. Although I would not expect a Nova with 804s to be on a reference level, it still should not sound like total crap. Based on all your descriptions, I continue to suspect that something is wrong with that Nova.

I think this is one of my favourite threads - I really can’t tell whether @tanxin97 problems are real or not. Like many good thrillers I’m not sure we’ve ever going to know the answer. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The pair of mistresses has piqued my interest after dinner…

3 Likes

Even allowing for translation idiosyncracies, the latest flurry of responses leaves me more convinced than ever that he is ‘taking the michael’.

2 Likes

Anyone with three pairs of speakers and two Unitis is most unlikely to be satisfied with just one mistress.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s actually the case. The real issue is not taking a blind bit of notice of any of the advice offered.

1 Like

I can easily understand that you have no space more to put the unused speakers and other stuff outside the room.
But it’s just to try, nothing definitive. You can even put them behind you , in a corner. The goal is to experiment how it will sound without all that components between your speakers. Just a quick test.
If you remove all that and the sound is still the same, bad as you described, it will be a proof that the Nova has a problem.
The Nova is more powerful vs the Star, so it can reveal shortcomings that you couldn’t hear with the Star.
I had for instance a Nap 300 dr. But it didn’t matched well my room. The sound with a 250 dr was clearly better in my situation. But it doesn’t mean there was something wrong with the 300 dr. The problem was the acoustic characteristics of my room. As maybe yours problem is the acoustics due to all that stuff between your speakers. Speakers need space around and between to breathe and sound natural.

1 Like