Only One Album

Thanks Graham, I’ll track it down soon. Brian D.

John Coltrane A Love Supreme. It’s got everything!

4 Likes

Folder

1 Like

What’s Going On

1 Like

I have it. From memory one CD is just the vocals. An amazing listen

2 Likes

Certainly not an obvious choice but for me it would have to be the first Stray album

I played it to death during the 70s, especially when my sister’s friends came round to show what a cool dude I was.

Without exception they regarded me as a long haired weirdo or worse since they were all into disco and glam.

The stupidity of youth.:roll_eyes:

I’m not sure whether your final para refers to your sister’s friends or to yourself!

2 Likes

Based on musical content alone it would be Tennstedt conducting Beethoven III or Miles Kind of Blue but this is something I always listened to with my late wonderful wife and is an excellent record in it’s own right.

11 Likes

Me. I still cringe when I think about it.:flushed:

I confess that I had never even heard of Stray or any of their music.

That may fit with the image of a sober-suited City lawyer in London, but there was a Mr Hyde to this particular Dr Jekyll.

Possibly for me, Supertramp, by Supertramp, just superb.

download

2 Likes

Stray were s foot-to the-floor, guitar heavy blues rock band. Del Bromham their inspiration is still busting ear drums.

We all have our dark (real) side. I became a sober suited Civil Servant, but at weekends …

Thanks for that info.

I may be rather too old in body and spirit to venture into that territory these days, as I don’t know where I’d put my walking stick (and my adored granddaughter would be appalled).

Maybe a cliché, but Abbey Road would be my choice. Although, can I cheat and make it the Super Deluxe edition? :wink:

2 Likes

I was very slow off the mark with those Beatles 'Super Deluxe" editions, and all copies are long since sold out. What extra did the lucky buyers get for shelling out their hard-earned?

I bought the hi-res downloads rather than the LPs so missed out on any ‘physical’ extras (because I also was very late to the party!). The extras show the evolution of some of the tracks and I am particularly taken with ‘The Long One’ which includes You Never Give Me Your Money, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End

Why?
I presume you are referring to your appearance? After leaving school it was about 15 years before I had my hair cut, then over the next 10 years or so progressively shorter and tidied. Since then I have it cut about 4-6 times a year cutting it to what I regard as short but my old school would have sent me straight home to get my hair cut if I had turned with hair even as it is straight after cutting. Whilst old photos show how unflattering my long hair looked, it doesn’t make me cringe, simply having been the younger version of me. The only thing that makes me cringe is the moustache I sported for a year or so - good decision to abandon it!

In body certainly can and maybe/likely will apply to us all some time, but spirit?

This makes me think of something I posted in the two polls about how old people feel:
I have felt the same inside ever since I was 18 - by that I mean mentally I still feel as if I am 18. I don’t mean I necessarily behave as if I am 18. As time passed I always felt the same inside, but assumed it was just me. Then when I was in my mid fifties chronologically I was chatting with my mum who would have been 80-ish, when she said she felt about 21 inside, and had done since she was 21. Discussing it then with my wife she felt similarly - leading me to conclude that everyone has an age that when they reach it is “their” age mentally, no matter what their physical age may be. Speaking to others since I have found that for most people it is in the range 18-25.
But I was wrong, only 24% of responders on this forum mentally felt in that age range - however 36% mentally felt in their twenties, and given the likely age profile of members, it certainly seems that a fair proportion mentally feel significantly younger than their actual age.

This doesn’t help me choose a single album, which is sometging I’m still pondering!

Stray are one of my favourite bands having seen them a few times in my youth. A particularly memorable gig was the Padgate College Rag Ball in Warrington in 1971. I still have my Stray pin badge from that night. I particularly like Our Song from Saturday Morning Pictures.

Back to 1967. “The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of the Onion” by The Incredible String Band. Mainly for one track, “First Girl I Loved.” I’ve only known 2 other people who have liked this!

1 Like

Yes yes yes, fantastic album.