Optimal SQ config for Innuos Zenith/Statement with ND555 and Roon (or not)

How many combinations you can have? Innuos as streamer , Innuos as Nas, Innuos as core, as endpoint, with Roon, without Roon, with Nucleus as Core, with Naim app, with LMS….:exploding_head:

I tried that with the default server Sw. how would one play with others - Minim and Access, for instance?

Not sure I get what you mean. Controllers are separate to UPnP server software and renders. The Innuos would be a UPnP server for you and the Naim app would be the controller, your ND555 the renderer. Asset and Minim dont come into it unless you use the Innuos as a UPnP renderer which you need USB out to use and then you could use any open controller software such as MConnect, BubbleUPnP, Kazoo or Lumin apps as controllers.

Thanks! My brain hurts…-…

1 Like

Here’s what I didn’t get (apart from what a UPnP controller is): with UPnP enabled on the Innuos the Naim app (a controller?) finds the Innuos as a server in the same way it would find Asset or Minim, so I though there was perhaps a way of installing them on the Innuos as you would on a NAS or Melco…

I see. No, you can’t install Asset or Minim it’s a locked system. It has its own UPnP server which is part of LMS I believe. The Naim app will see this as a server and you navigate and playback to ND555 from the Naim app.

Michael, if you have the possibility to demo an Antipodes K50, there are a lot of very positive reviews on forums. It was specially made for Roon, more than Innuos.
Apart the Taiko server, the Antipodes k50 is apparently “la crème de la crème “ of audiophile Serves/Nas.

But again I would imagine only really of any benefit if it’s the source as well to a DAC. That’s what these things are built for to be server/streamer.

If your your using it as a network server then all that extra stuff doesn’t really make it much different to the Innuos or his Nucleus and Phoenix net and SJ PSU.

There is also the Grimm Audio MU1 which has been designed with Roon in mind and they worked with Roon to develop it as a high server /streamer.

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty accurate take on the whole affair. I’m not really too interested in what it does with Roon, so much as the impact on sound quality, which is where the Innuos sounded so promising but would only be so probably for a dedicated USB DAC.

Many thanks for the intensive learning course on the terminology for all this!

1 Like

My head is about to explode! Just give me a Bose radio with an on switch :grinning:

3 Likes

Your welcome. I would say they are best served for those who want top sound quality with less boxes and more of an all in one source solution. If you already have a top quality streamer and invested in your server side power wise and network wise then the advantages of these things is greatly diminished unless you prefer the overall sound signature of a different DAC /pre in your system. If you want the Naim sound stay as you are and invest in something that helps preserve that at leas outlay. In your case the Phoenix net.

3 Likes

I can’t say. I personally use the Melco N1zh2 direct Ethernet into my Nds, and it uplifted wonderfully the sound from Nds. But I am not using Roon.
Some members here with Nd555 enjoy the Melco too.
I think they don’t use Roon too.
However Michael found the Melco not enough engaging. It’s not my experience, neither the @Darkebear experience or some here, as Meni with the Melco N10.

I think you probably need to decide what direction you want to take future. If you’re happy with your Naim front end then I’m not sure you will gain much, at the moment, with the Innuos over the Naim equivalent, in which case buy the phoenixnet that enhances what you have. If you want to try something different then perhaps a Dave with the Innuos feeding it via usb or a converter which allows you to use the innuos app and player which are excellent. Both routes will provide excellent results I’m sure although the latter will reduce your box count and likely cost less too.

1 Like

As the Rooster says, I use ND555 (twin supplies) fed from Melco N1zh2 in turn fed from ER switch…
…then an assortment of old Cisco switches and Ethernet cables selected to give the end-result I enjoy for system balance.

I tend (on some threads - not this one so far) to just do my own thing as people debate the impossible effects…etc. Anyone who actually tried these things with a good optimized system (needs both aspects - good and optimized) will easy hear what it is all about.

I tried Chord Dave vs ND555 way-back and as value for money and flexibility it - at that time had the edge on the ND555 with one PS - but the ND555 with two PS blew it away, but for a price.
I was willing to pay that to get the ‘Naim voicing’ I liked, that also fit in with the rest of my system.
I have found with a revealing Active system any small thing that is slightly wrong becomes over time very wrong and annoying, so the voicing aspect was important to me.

A seamless sound with good tonal balance and harmonic rendition down into the noise floor was what the ND555 had so it fit my target for a source that would wear-well into future.
The Dave was a bit lean and analytical - in a passive system that may match very well and give a great result but I felt it would become tiring in mine over time. Later versions may be different - this was a few years ago now.

Similarly I chose the Melco unit in large part for its voicing - it has a sumptuous bass freedom and if well set-up on its fraim it does not go full-blown bass (which it does do when not set-up). Since I can set things up by listening to what I do - this was no problem and it gave me a sumptuous non-analytic presentation with easy detail I liked.

Then the ER tended - at first toward lean and slightly analytic, but always a nice seamless ‘fast’ presentation; the PS upgrade resolved any leanness for me so I’m happy with end-result.

…why is he saying all this? :thinking:
Essentially it is a system end-to-end result and I’m always very careful when putting in a box upgrade that may do some things obviously better - but sometimes you later realize it has also dropped something you were liking to get that.

From all the stuff I read from people I credit with actual listening and previous general alignment with my own experiences - probably the Phoenix box would be an improvement here too - I may get around to trying it at some point ahead.

But I tend to only upgrade when I’m slightly unhappy with something - and fortunately I seem to be happy with it all just now. :bear:

DB.

5 Likes

Well, Audio-T and Innuos are really stepping up to the bar here. I’ll report back in further detail but this will allow me to really test the full potential of the Innuos products with Naim and now also Chord.

3 Likes

Hi Michael,
Don’t you want to test how can sound the Innuos Statement into Nd555 dac, using as usb to spdif cable?
I would be very curious personally. Because sometimes I think I will perhaps not buy the Nd555 and go instead for a top transport into Nds dac.

I’m now back from camping (have been going back and forth since late May) so I may try to get an Audiophilleo 2 with Pure Power on demo (a) if there is no beta SW to use the Innuos via Ethernet as Naim intended but with all the tricks of the Innuos servers (b) if I’m not impressed by Innuos → Dave +/- MScaler (arriving Thursday). An alternative would be to try the M2Tech HiTech 2, which Innuos like but is not generally considered as good as the Audiophilleo, which shouldn’t surprise since it’s quite a bit cheaper. Today will be dedicated to trying to resurrect the Zenith a getting a clear baseline now I have a better handle on the tech stuff.

1 Like

Well, the Dave and MScaler are coming this afternoon just as I have finished finalising my opinions on the best configuration of the Innuos stuff with the ND555. Having gone through everything again now that I have a better technical understanding, my ears are nevertheless still telling me the same things.

The Zenith is still dead, which is to say all the lights come on merrily, including on the Ethernet ports, but it isn’t connecting to the network. Still waiting for their tech guys to get back to me.

It’s been a rather surprising journey so far in some ways, but I’m waiting to hear the Chord stuff with the Innuos Statement in particular before writing it all up.

One thing I will say is that the ND555 has never sounded better than it does now fed via the PhoenixNet. Very good indeed and certainly the best digital rendition of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf’s voice I have ever heard.

Do any Dave + MScaler owners have any tips regarding installation and settings? I know @Simon-in-Suffolk has done quite a bit of experimentation. My thoughts so far are to get the Dave away from the Naim racks (definitely the brawn rack) and also to keep the MScaler as far away as possible from the Dave.

Also, while I’m on the subject of racks, do any Innuos owners have any recommendations on whether the servers sound better away from the big Naim toroidals? I currently have everything stacked on the brawn rack.

1 Like

My innuos and the phoenix are both on their own shelves but still in my main rack. Same applies to my MScaler and TT 2. The phoneix and innuos are the only components I have heard a difference on through usb cables so worth having decent ones. Your statement needs to be set up to use the sense app to get the best from it with the chord gear. Be interesting to see how you find it

1 Like

I was advised to keep my mini away from the main stack so it’s under the tv with its ee8 too

1 Like