Ordering wait time

I’m going on 10 weeks for my Linn Radikal2 upgrade so it’s not just Naim.

I’m rather suprised at the number of people complaining about the waiting time for Naim products taking into account of the chronic worldwide shortages of various components of all types.

Been using Naim since 1983 waited over 12 weeks for both a 82 and CDI when they were released due to sales volume. When I upgraded to the Classic range in 2015 I waited 15 weeks for my 250dr evidently a component quality issue ordered a Core the day they were released this was delivered some 16 weeks later a price rise had occurred during this wait but my dealer supplied it at the price at the date of the order. So for me waiting for a new Naim product is nothing new remember good stuff is always worth waiting for.

Recently I have upgraded my iMac to a Mac mini and monitor the original monitor I wanted was a HP 27inch 4k but was given an estimated delivery of around 5 months ended up with a Dell managed to find one of the last few in stock in the UK.

Just ordered a new Pressure washer the Sthil model I wanted was out of stock in the UK so I had to go up a model that could be supplied from stock.It was suprising at the number of machines that were marked up as waiting for stock to arrive

I sorted the specifications of some commercial vehicles and cranes for friend that owns a construction supply company the order was placed last August and the chassis’s have just turned up for crane fitment . He wanted to order a couple more chassis but the manufacture (One of the big four in Europe) is not taking ANY ORDERS at the moment.

I think we going to have to get used to these delays across a wide range of products for the forseable future and learn to live with it a minor problem in todays world.

5 Likes

Delighted to say my Uniticore arrived last week, so 11 weeks from order. According to dealer who spoke with Naim component shortage/delay are the reason for longer lead times, but so grateful Naim managed to get the Core built - albeit it would seem a production run of one or two.
Busy now ripping the CD library and delighted with the sound.

3 Likes

Given all these waiting times/chip shortages etc. Have naim laid off staff?

Speculating on something that will likely neither be confirmed or denied might be wasted effort. But let’s not forget, Naim is just like any company in these difficult times. Luckily, demand is high but even so any company has to make decisions to survive long term. It’s no good hanging onto an untenable financial position if the result puts a busines in peril.

I think Naim have shown that they will do what must be done to survive by moves taken in years past. And that’s all we really need/are entitled to know.

2 Likes

Just received the disappointing news that my SN3 and NDX2 ordered end of November and estimated for delivery end of February is not going to be with me any time soon. According to my dealer who has spoken to Naim, semiconductor shortage continues to scupper Naim streamer production and there is also a shortage of a component for the PCB of the SN. :disappointed:

Don’t hold your breath, in 2 weeks it will be nine months since I ordered my ND5 XS2… Nothing to be done but wait patiently.

1 Like

My previous comments remain. The dealer and factory should only take your order and money if you are agreeable to the extended delivery times. Yes, I get the whole chip shortage thing. It’s about being honest when 2 parties enter a contract. Otherwise the relationship gets damaged.

1 Like

To be fair to my - equally frustrated - dealer, he’s only taken a £200 deposit and, of course, I’ve avoided the price rise (and, probably, the next one too at this rate :joy:).

1 Like

How long can Naim go on with lack of cash flow if they aren’t selling anything due to shortages?

1 Like

On a slight tangent, as the wait draws out I’ve been considering alternatives including - as I have a Qutest, and a mScaler on the way - a streamer only; i.e. without an internal DAC. How do you find your Aries G1?

It’s not only Naim, but also the dealer who misses a profit on the sale. It’s an problem for the whole chain.

1 Like

Indeed. I find it slightly worrying. I really hope that Naim has contingency built in by now.

Excellent sound. I am running it through a Qutest at the moment but I have bought a Vega G1 which waits in the UK for me to arrange getting over here (France). My study system is where I am considering an Altair G1 to enable synching room to room.

They will replace my Node (s) plus Qutest. To be fair the Node/Qutest is pretty damn fine but the Auralic adds a depth at all levels.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I might well give one a demo as I have a dealer nearby

1 Like

Interesting. I really like the Altair G1. It sounds so right to me. Interested to hear your comparison of the Aries plus Vega against the Altair if you ever do that

1 Like

Indeed. I really hope that Naim can pull through these difficult times.

Another part of the problem here from what i understand is that demand for Naim kit has never been higher, it’s just that certain parts in particular are creating problems for some products.

1 Like

Yes but I suppose the crux of what @bruss is touching on is whether demand is measured in actual pink slips and back orders or mere inquiries to purchase that cannot be fulfilled.

One of those scenarios keeps the lights on. The other doesn’t.

Of course, I do know it is not our right to know that information, and I doubt that to necessarily be shared (unless of course they confirm they are sitting on a pile of pink slips and swimming is cash with nothing to do).

I see the potential for a nasty chain reaction for smaller suppliers who are unable to supply nearly anything who eventually go under and then their customers who cannot produce anything for long enough or find new suppliers that fast when conditions improve.