Ordering wait time

I don’t think the dealer will experience any problems ( other than a lost sale )
My understanding is that dealers only get invoiced when the item is shipped from Naim

Thanks @Fred123. Yes, he won’t get an invoice until it’s shipped, but is he committed to taking delivery once it’s ordered. Is a spare 552 Naim’s issue or the dealer’s. Anyway, I imagine that there’s probably a waiting list haha.

I am not suggesting you cancel, far from it. The 552 is a stunning piece of kit.

I would have thought such a commitment only applied if delivered within a stated timeframe or at most, a reasonable margin outside of it. You certainly have consumer rights along those lines. I would be surprised if a retailer would remain contractually obliged to a supplier for a product, after that supplier caused lost revenue through non delivery of the product.

Thanks @Elfer. I saw a Nagra Classic preamp that should work well into my ATC actives. I understand they make their own components, so their delivery is currently a matter of weeks rather than months.
I’ve always stayed with Naim because it’s been easy and the upgrades have been worthwhile, and the Naim upgrade ladder has just been easy. It’s much less so at the moment, so that’s really the reason my eyes strayed. I know I should just be patient, but as you said the lack of any news from Naim before it leaves the factory is frustrating.

2 Likes

I hear you. What used to be a “no brainier” now warrants careful consideration… Best of luck with your decision.

1 Like

This is from Paul Rigby

It seems Naim are not alone with difficulties

Definitely! It’s a big issue, and way beyond the hifi industry too. Still, no excuse for bad communication.

Tried to order Trek Domane e-bike today. Found out that they effectively don’t exist for all practical purposes as none in the UK distribution channels and a nominal 365 day ‘place-holder’ delay for any order placed today…

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @Svetty. Any idea why? Was it specific component issues or just general supply problems, or no one could say?

Maybe the orders for old items (maybe soon to be superseded) are being filled before Munich announcements? We shall see.

1 Like

This is due to material shortages, i’m waiting for a Cube Litening which I’ve ordered in September last year. My dealer told me that the frames are there but that e.g. deraileur parts are missing so they can’t deliver …

1 Like

Risk for Naim is that people might prefer the new design and cancel their orders, which might also have advantages …

2 Likes

Interesting! I don’t know much about bikes but I see that they are often made up of parts from various suppliers.
I was being wooed by a Nagra dealer who was telling me that because they build all their own parts they have much quicker delivery times than companies that buy components from various suppliers. Sounded plausible. Not sure if such companies exist in the bike world?

Hi Monkey_Jim, I’m not entirely sure that is right, this directly from their website
“To make outstanding products, components are sourced from the best manufacturers around the world. Many key components are made upon special request and exclusively for Nagra. Assembling and testing are carried out in our factory, as is all the winding of our unique transformers.”
So presumably they are also at the mercy of suppliers and global materials shortages. I find this whole thread odd, I have been waiting for a NAP250 for some months now, when it arrives it arrives. My granny always used to say “good things come to those that wait”, it seems patience is a virtue people don’t value any more. Perhaps NAIM could have been more communicative, but hey the dealer quoted 16 weeks, I paid my deposit and when it arrives I will be happy. As an aside, I purchased a VW California pre-pandemic (5 years ago), there were already issues with semiconductor supply then, I waited the best part of 7 months for delivery, others waited more than a year, as I believe is what people are waiting now to buy one.

1 Like

The vast majority of gear shifts, brakes, etc. parts are manufactured in China. That’s the Shimano brand for most. And lead times are through the roof, I am on a 6 month waiting list for a sprocket for a Gates belt drive

1 Like

Hi @shmang.
My mother is also a strong proponent of good things come to those who wait, as I mentioned in posts above. Hopefully, your 250 will arrive on time. I was quoted 16 weeks originally, but it’s now been 25 weeks and there’s no explanation or word from Naim but the projected date just keeps slipping. So communication isn’t great, as you say. I appreciate it must be hard for Naim to update dealers on how individual products are progressing, but there isn’t even any indication of the progress or what’s outstanding which just means a lot of uncertainty. I suspect that’s why people are putting their experiences here and looking to try to get a little context so they can manage their expectations.
Interesting info on Nagra, as I said the Nagra dealer was trying to woo me, but he did say, if I ordered now, I would have my preamp within four weeks, which is a lot better than Naim have been able to say. So I do think Naim have some way to go to adapt to new operating conditions.
I loved my 250. It’s now doing a sterling job in my son’s system. He’s more pro audio than hifi and thinks us audiophiles are a bit strange, although he’s very polite about it. BUT, he was amazed at the improvement the 250 made when he connected it to his ATCs. Enjoy your amp, I’m sure your will, hopefully that will be soon too!

2 Likes

Just looking at the serial numbers on the Naim website and saw there’s quite an overlap between 2021 items which have numbers as high as 504760 and 2022 builds which start at 501092. I guess this highlights the size of the backlog at the factory. This is not really a feature before 2020 and coincides with current supply issues.

Same here, ordered a bike in September last year. Back then delivery was estimated for May, i.e. now, but then it got moved to June, then November. And just this week it has been updated to August :crossed_fingers:t4:

What this bike manufacturer has implemented is quite nice though. They’ve got a tracker which sends you updates of delivery times. Maybe Naim should think of something similar. Mind you, I’ve order through the dealer, still the manufacturer sends updates directly to my inbox :+1:t4:

Component availability certainly are the main reason for delays in bike deliveries, however, according to this manufacturer also raw material shortages are an issue: schindelhauerbikes

1 Like

Heard a rumor that NAIM is discontinuing DR upgrades because of parts shortages. Is this official?

There was a whole thread on this… yes it’s official