Linn Selekt Journey

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed answer, much appreciated! First of all, I need to say that I’m very happy with how the Nova is sounding with the P8. But every now and then I start thinking of making an upgrade; no matter how beautiful and good they undoubtedly are, I don’t want to switch to the NC (222/250).

The Linn approach with the seperate modules is very appealing to me … but with Linn electronics, the LP12 is always on the back of my mind - hence the question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Witch Phono preamp do you have?

1 Like

I’m currently using the Rega Fono MC

1 Like

I use my Selekt DSM with a Rega deck, all fine and dandy. (MM/MC both supported)
I’ve had mine setup in numerous ways from 5.1 with power amp modules to using it as a preamp with my 200 Series NAP 250, I’ve yet to find a setup it won’t fit in to.
When I got mine originally I did consider it alongside a Nova amongst other options and glad now I picked it.
I do have an Atom as well regardless which is currently driving in wall speakers for 2 channel music and TV via ARC.
In my case I still have an Organik upgrade ahead of me and potentially going dual mono organik and using it as a fixed output source.

1 Like

It’s interesting to note that this network streamer is all in one, streamer + dac + mc/mm phono preamp + preamp, and + utopik psu.

1 Like

Yes, it is well stocked with features.

DG…

One thing I didn’t do was to take a photo in the dark of all the Green Naim lights as it was powered on 24/7.

It is strange not seeing a bank of Green lights looking back at you when you walk into the Living Room before switching on any room lights.

On the positive side, the electric bill will go down a bit.

Out of interest does anybody know what the power consumption, per hour of Naim kit is.

DG…

1 Like

Which cartridge are you using with the Linn Selekt? I have an Ania MC…

1 Like

Goldring 2500 (MM)

2 Likes

I have two questions re your lovely one box system. It looks brilliant.

1. If you are running active speakers why do you need the 2 power amp modules?

2. I thought if you had dual Organik mono DACs that there was then no room for the two amplifier modules. I guess this self evidently is not the case.

I will probably be heading in this direction this year.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind comments.

The speakers aren’t active themselves but can be run active by removing the crossover links and using an external crossover.

Hence the need for two Stereo Power Amp cartridges.

There are slots for three cartridges, but I’m only using two of them.

DG…

1 Like

There is an insert in the side of the amp modules for the DAC cartridges to I clip into. Have a look at YouTube.

2 Likes

You’re in for a treat. I currently run an Organik-upgraded KDSM into active ATCs. It suits my musical tastes to a tee and connects me with the musicians much more than any system I’ve ever had. At a recent show I heard a dual-Organik Selekt into the same speakers and felt it probably outperformed my setup, possibly because of the new Utopik power supply. And I do like the design, so I’m considering moving that way in the near future.

Roger

4 Likes

I concur.

My Selekt DSM; Edition has two Organik modules in the amps and sounds much better than the Klimax DS/3 Organik.

Very pleased I made the change.

DG…

1 Like

This has been a very interesting thread. I’m looking to set up something a bit more simple and the Linn Select DSM hub with say the Katalyst DAC modules in to a pair of ATC SCM 40a’s seems ideal, just need to set up a demo.

Tim

1 Like

Hi @Timbo

Glad that you like the thread, I enjoyed the journey.

As you’ve seen, I’ve really enjoyed the transition from a 10 box system to a single box system and yes, the Selekt is all that it is cracked up to be.

When you are ready, consider using Cymbiosis in Leicester, as they really know their stuff. They will also install it for you and set up SO.

Another to remember is that they do part exchange, which is what I did.

Please feel free to contact me if you need further info.

DG…

1 Like

Thanks @DiggyGun.

I do use Cymbiosis, got my LP12 from them and rely on them to sort out my Naim components when they need a service. However, to my knowledge they do no do ATC so will have to travel somewhere else to hear the combination I desire.

It will replace the system I have in the lounge which is ND5 XS2, SuperNait 1, HiCap DR into ATC SCM 19’s. Also have a Rega P9 with Ortofon Quintet Bronze and Musical Fidelity MX Vinyl phono stage.

Should free up a bit of room and also add to the simplicity and I’m guessing huge upgrade in SQ.

Tim

3 Likes

Hi Tim

I’ve been using Cymbiosis a number of years and when I had the LP12, Peter did all the fettling on that.

Just looked at your speakers and yes, too heavy to take with you for the demo. Maybe they have something with a similar sound that you could use for comparison purposes.

Hope you enjoy your new ventures.

DG…

@PeakMan
I tried the Edition hub with dual mono Organik DACs in preamp configuration 15 months ago. It was used with my 250 dr and Ovator400s. I have never heard the 250r and ovators sound so good. It just goes to show that if the preamp/ DAC is top notch everything downstream performs at its best. Thoughts of eventually upgrading my amp and speaker evaporated.

5 Likes