Ovator S-400 - the hankering is so, so strong!

Stephen what are the dimensions of your listening space?

Hi Bevo,
my listening room is of an odd shape - boat shaped in fact - 3.5 metres by 5.2 metres. I have my system firing across the room. Balcony doors at one side of the bow end and a main door at the stern, to one side.

So speakers firing across the 3.5 metres ?

As much as like the Zebrano finish i don’t think a dark wood will be a good match in our rather small listening environment. The lighter the finish the better as i have a balcony to one side which unfortunately drowns out some natural light.

Yes that’s correct.

White

Not to worry too much about the white yellowing, mine haven’t in all these years.

10 Likes

I agree with you Stephen , I would be keeping the finish as light as possible with the 3.5metres

I even think maybe the ovators s400 are possibly too bulky at dimensions of 1060 high x 330 wide x345 deep

So I get your dilemma as have only a very limited amount of space to utilise between back wall and speaker

What about naim SBL or SL2 - but I don’t know if they were ever manufactured with ash finish - possibly not - but I believe advantage is they can go right up against back wall

2 Likes

@Stephen_Tate
What happened to the N-sats being the finest speakers in the world? I was very happy for you reading those comments. A synergy that makes us feel like that is not often found. That being said, if you are just wanting to spend some time with some larger speakers to “scratch an itch” i can certainly understand.

1 Like

Lightest finish on SL2s, and let’s not forget Allaes, was maple.

Wonderful speakers are the Allaes Richard

My brother now has my old pair and he loves them as I still do , sometimes I wish I never traded them in

May well suit Stephen’s space and are a bargain

Thanks for bringing them up

2 Likes

What’s your floor to ceiling height? The floor area you describe is not unlike our living space that I brought the S400 into when we initially moved…They were far too big for the room, and that’s with a 3m ceiling.

Hence the Proac Tab 10S.

G

1 Like

They look very nice need. Now i get their size. Thanks for that.:+1:

2 Likes

Yes I’d like to know that as well. Hopefully SBLs are far better

Ovators don‘t want to be positioned directly at the front wall. So with 3,5 meters maybe choose a speaker that can be positioned directly at the wall?

1 Like

You let them snooze on the SBLs??!!

2 Likes

2.3m.

They are not allowed to, and I tell them so in an assertive “Barbara Woodhouse” manner. However they are cats, and will do just as they like!

Though they do prefer the Briks in the conservatory - bigger top surface, and it’s sunnier and warmer.

I populate the SBLs with old birthday cards, or as I call then Cat Defenders.

With the top mounted cones are the Briks not even worse?

M

Could give the cat a surprise though.

1 Like

Have you tried making a pair out of cardboard boxes and placing them about 25cm from the wall, as suggested earlier?