P8 or P10

Nice table!

Indeed…when I went from DV P75 Mk4 to Aura, I was so impressed by the improvement in what I already thought to be fantastic.
…and the white platter…sublime looking.

That is a lovely looking deck and turntables should be drop dead gorgeous

Thanks. I guess a bit of Coldplay on coloured vinyl helps. 20 years old now that Rega.

2 Likes

Deck does look great,notice your using a clamp,I’ve never tried this,in your opinion,does it improve sq,I’ve read people saying that it can cause wear to the bearing ,have you noticed anything,sorry so many questions,but it’s something I’m thinking of trying.

You may be interested in this thread:

Yep. It is a Rega specific made by Michell. Can’t say it makes a difference. In order to work, the idea is to press the record hard into the platter, so they act as one. This helps if a washer or whatever is under the record. The clamp is not there to take out warps. Although it might.
A lot say it stresses the bearing, but not with this design. At best, it stretches the rotating shaft.
A lot will say it must be designed to take a clamp. Yes, I get that, so Mr OEM show me your design and substantiation? Doubt they have one. But who knows.
So yes, I use one on my Michell Gyro, works well. On the Rega, I can’t hear it.

Okay thanks,have been reading suggested thread as well,there’s a lot to consider as always,I’m picking up P10 within the next week,think I’ll leave well enough alone for a while,I was very happy with demo ,with no clamp,so will sit tight and maybe dabble in the future,thanks to all for informative comments .

Changing too much at once leads into dark alleys. I’d also suggest to get to know the P10 as it is, then you will also be able to tell later if a clamp makes it better.

Wise advice ,which I will definitely take !

1 Like

If you are buying a P10 use what it comes with. Only get into fannying around once the novely wears off. With a P10 that should be a long time. So, leave alone and enjoy what Rega designed.

3 Likes

My LP12 is 39 years old this year, sounds good all the time & still has the power to astound me on a regular basis.

Divide what it has cost me over 39 years & it is not a lot for the amount of pleasure it has given me.

Go for the P10. It will cost little as the years go by & save you the cost of upgrading from the P8 (which will always be an itch if you don’t get the P10 now!)

4 Likes

You are right,and I will follow your advice.

Jeez. Not words I normally hear!

Enjoy that P10.

1 Like

And have fun!

1 Like

I think you’ll be happy with the P10, although if you wanted to throw a spanner in the works ask the Audiobarn for a demo of the Vertere DG1…

2 Likes

So which way did you go in the end P8 or P10?

Still deciding but probably the p8. Not sure I can justify the p10. I am in no rush though so will continue my deliberations.

Why not an ex demo Rp10? And you will have a true cover lid.

1 Like

Maybe that’s telling you something; that the P6 is actually meeting your needs. I’m loving listening to mine and it’s leading me to spend more than I planned on records. If I was ever to improve it, it would be the P10. The white platter and shiny arm look so lovely. How shallow.

3 Likes