P8 or P10

Wow…maybe with better kit downstream you would have got a similar wow between the P8 and P10 but at what additional expense? That’s always the dilemma for me in trying to beat the law of diminishing returns…

1 Like

Same hierarchy apparently than with Rp6, 8, 10 older models.
The biggest difference was for me between Rp6 and Rp8, less between Rp8 and 10.

You could well be right. However I have little drive to change the rest of my system any time soon so the audition was perfect for me. It may have been fun to listen to higher end gear but I am enjoying my music and I think would really enjoy the P8 without spending too much :yum:

1 Like

Don’t forget Michell. Gyro SE Vs P8 was what I trialled, albeit with different cartridges. I got the carts swapped during my trial and the better sounding TT to my ear was clear.

1 Like

The Gyro is something I lusted over since if first appeared decades ago! However the Regas suit me fine and I do like to support British industry where I can :smiley:

1 Like

Rega owner here too, albeit my daughter uses the planer 25 now. My British industry support went to Michell. Just before the moved into their new fancy factory.

I’m very happy with my P8 with Apheta 3. I had an RP6 with Exact before.

Here is a comparison between P8 and P10.

2 Likes

I really don’t like the white platter on the 10. Maybe the next version Rega will have worked out how to colour the ceramic!!!

1 Like

I am surprised you found the Gyro SE better. Was it with SME V arm and a better cart vs the one on the P8?
I say that because many years ago I compared the Orbe vs the P9, with similar level cartridges. I preferred the P9. The Orbe, with techno arm, had however more bass.
The P8 is better vs the P9.

Can’t remember exactly, think both TTs had same arm ? Certainly both were Rega arms.The dealer was a fan of both brands. The michell’s bass sounded deeper, cleaner. Just better. Admittedly the gyro SE had the uprated PSU, which is not standard. It is easy to be visually distracted by the gyro. It always get comments. One thing that did, and still appeals is that Michell don’t change their models every 5 years or so. Any changes can be applied to older models later. A bit like the LP12 I guess.

1 Like

Id just be concerned about the QC, not good IMO

The build of my P6 is perfect and I am sure Jack at Audiobarn will look after me. What specifically did you have in mind regarding qc problems.

I chatted to a dealer about the P8 vs P10 - I wasn’t there for that so there was no sale in it. He said there wasn’t all that much between them. But you’ve compared them yourself so that’s the main thing. Go with you instinct. If the P10 didn’t grab you then just enjoy the P8 and black platter :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know Michell had a new factory, where have they moved to?

Still there apparently

Stevenage. By factory I guess it’s an industrial unit. Their web site suggests the old place has been flattened. I expect it was way past its best.
Good luck to them. I hope they maintain a limited line of TTs with upgrades every now and then. And of course service older products.

I like my P10’s white platter! Horses and courses.

1 Like

@docbot I’ve owned the RP8, and own the P10 now. With your SN2 I think you’ll be very happy with either. P8/Apheta 3/Aria is very very nice; you’ll enjoy it plenty. If you want to own “their best,” go for the P10. But I’m very sure you’d be happy with the 8.

1 Like

Thank Bart, I think this is the way I will go. I will spend a couple of weeks on my decision but I am sure I’ll be happy either way.

P10 really needs the aura phono stage to release what it can do, as the lower units in the range will hold it back.
Then as normal you also need the rest off the system to be up to showing off what it can do as well.
But I had the P8 with aphete 2 and it was a great deck and much better than the rp6 I had before, both running through a superline at the time

1 Like