P8 or P10

If you are buying a P10 use what it comes with. Only get into fannying around once the novely wears off. With a P10 that should be a long time. So, leave alone and enjoy what Rega designed.

3 Likes

My LP12 is 39 years old this year, sounds good all the time & still has the power to astound me on a regular basis.

Divide what it has cost me over 39 years & it is not a lot for the amount of pleasure it has given me.

Go for the P10. It will cost little as the years go by & save you the cost of upgrading from the P8 (which will always be an itch if you don’t get the P10 now!)

4 Likes

You are right,and I will follow your advice.

Jeez. Not words I normally hear!

Enjoy that P10.

1 Like

And have fun!

1 Like

I think you’ll be happy with the P10, although if you wanted to throw a spanner in the works ask the Audiobarn for a demo of the Vertere DG1…

2 Likes

So which way did you go in the end P8 or P10?

Still deciding but probably the p8. Not sure I can justify the p10. I am in no rush though so will continue my deliberations.

Why not an ex demo Rp10? And you will have a true cover lid.

1 Like

Maybe that’s telling you something; that the P6 is actually meeting your needs. I’m loving listening to mine and it’s leading me to spend more than I planned on records. If I was ever to improve it, it would be the P10. The white platter and shiny arm look so lovely. How shallow.

3 Likes

We’ll call you shallow Hal then ?

1 Like

Just to update - ordered the P8 / Apheta 3 from Audiobarn. Can’t wait!!!

6 Likes

Hi docbot, if you have the choice, I would suggest you go for the 10. This is because Rega say it has a better main bearing. To appreciate the difference this makes, just read a few comments made in the forum about the effect of the new main bearing for the LP12.
As others have indicated, I also think that the 10 will allow you to relax more when listening, that ‘difficult’ album is much more likely to sound that way because the sound is difficult, not because of your record player. It’s hard to explain how relaxing that knowledge is when listening to music. But it makes a difference to me. Totally appreciate that might not make such a difference to you.
Best wishes
Amer

Had the P8 for 3 weeks and thinking to trade up to the P10…nothing wrong with the P8 at all, in fact its outstanding, its just that the “last turntable I will ever buy” comment made earlier keeps knocking at my brain…that together with a newly acquired passion for white ceramic. Curse this upgraditis pandemic…please hurry with the vaccine!

2 Likes

…and many of us are just a little neurotic. My wife says to me: get the better one, you know that if you don’t then soon you will wish that you had, and then you will upgrade…just do it. She is correct in this, sadly.

2 Likes

I am in total agreement with you when you say “The white platter and shiny arm look so lovely” It’s not shallow - Rega made the platter white and arm shiny deliberately

A turntable sits on the top of your system, it should be about pride of ownership .

A turntable has to look good . It is part of the job requirements as far as I am concerned .

Best wishes

6 Likes

…where did you find a wife like that? Maybe I need to trade up on the wife front :thinking:

2 Likes

I much prefer the less is more approach. Shouty shiny bits and a white platter has made the decision for the P8 for me.

…I think that she became wise to the fact that intermediate upgrades are more expensive in the long-term. Win-win.

1 Like

Just to put a spanner in the works why has no one tried the p6 with the apheta 3 I read a article many moons ago that its as good as the p8 in that way hardly any difference detected
As soon as I can afford it its the demo I’m going for p6 with said cartridge and p8 with same cartridge
I always think just because rega supply it that way that people think it must be that way and no other will do…
As good as the ania is I’ve always thought it let’s the p6 down a bit hence why the new ania Pro coming out as I suspect rega thought that as well
Just my thoughts out side the box