P8 or P10

WHen I bought my RP10 a couple of years ago I demoed it against an RP8 (the RP8 at that time), a Michel Gyrodek and an LP12. I had all of them demoed at home (except the RP8 which I’d dismissed after hearing it against the 10 in the store).
Don’t get me wrong, they were all great in their own way but the RP10 was the best of the three for the money. I too wanted a deck that sounded brilliant but that I wouldn’t have to keep tweaking and upgrading. I haven’t regretted it for a second. Reviews of the new RP8 are excellent so I have no doubt that you would enjoy that deck too but as a “final” deck that you can just set up and leave (my dealer set mine up and I haven’t needed to touch it since) you can’t go wrong with Regas.
Mine is played through a 250/282/Supercap/XPS/Dali Rubicon 6 set up and I have to say, is my best ever hi fi purchase. It sounds absolutely fab and I just love it.

2 Likes

I had the Rp8 at home some months ago. Now the Rp10. Same cart, phono, system.
The Rp10 is just a bit better, more refined. The cherry on the cake.
But I prefer the look of the glass platter. Don’t like too the ceramic white platter look.
With a black leather mat I have, I don’t see it.

1 Like

Conversely, I love the ceramic platter of the Planar 10. When you understand the engineering involved in making it possible, anything else is a just a bit disappointing by comparison.

2 Likes

Whichever you choose, the P12 will be along in a while.

2 Likes

Was told that it would cost around double the price off the P10, if they make it.
Dont know how true that might be, but i for one is out at that price point

Yes, but why not paint it in black?

Likewise my RP8/Apheta2/Aria was a very nice setup, especially so for the money.

This is true. I do think they are going to make it. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

P14?? Don’t be silly; they can’t go all the way to 14. That’s a bridge too far.

I’m already way ahead of the P12 with my P25

9 Likes

They are quite dominant , I have Clearaudio backed by a ProJect Tube Box.

Very happy

In volume of pure sales it must be Rega V ProJect with Linn doing nicely for revenue v volume,

Nice table!

Indeed…when I went from DV P75 Mk4 to Aura, I was so impressed by the improvement in what I already thought to be fantastic.
…and the white platter…sublime looking.

That is a lovely looking deck and turntables should be drop dead gorgeous

Thanks. I guess a bit of Coldplay on coloured vinyl helps. 20 years old now that Rega.

2 Likes

Deck does look great,notice your using a clamp,I’ve never tried this,in your opinion,does it improve sq,I’ve read people saying that it can cause wear to the bearing ,have you noticed anything,sorry so many questions,but it’s something I’m thinking of trying.

You may be interested in this thread:

Yep. It is a Rega specific made by Michell. Can’t say it makes a difference. In order to work, the idea is to press the record hard into the platter, so they act as one. This helps if a washer or whatever is under the record. The clamp is not there to take out warps. Although it might.
A lot say it stresses the bearing, but not with this design. At best, it stretches the rotating shaft.
A lot will say it must be designed to take a clamp. Yes, I get that, so Mr OEM show me your design and substantiation? Doubt they have one. But who knows.
So yes, I use one on my Michell Gyro, works well. On the Rega, I can’t hear it.

Okay thanks,have been reading suggested thread as well,there’s a lot to consider as always,I’m picking up P10 within the next week,think I’ll leave well enough alone for a while,I was very happy with demo ,with no clamp,so will sit tight and maybe dabble in the future,thanks to all for informative comments .

Changing too much at once leads into dark alleys. I’d also suggest to get to know the P10 as it is, then you will also be able to tell later if a clamp makes it better.

Wise advice ,which I will definitely take !

1 Like