Paris 2024

Me too.

I spent the day at Judo and at the climbing wall in Kendal with my son.

He had by far his best day of climbing ever, making lots of PBs, and I had my best day of climbing since I started climbing again about a year ago, so it was a personal Olympics round here.

1 Like

I think the issue with the bbc coverage is the working time directive. On iPlayer I can see several streams but I needed an iPad and phone to watch what interested me with Discovery filling in for live coverage rather than BBC telling me what to watch.

Date: 27 July
Distance: 32.4km
Elevation gain: 150m

Results of Men’s Time Trial (32.4KM)

1. Remco Evenepoel :belgium: 36:12 :1st_place_medal:
  2. Filippo Ganna (Italy), +15 seconds :2nd_place_medal:
  3. Wout van Aert (Belgium), +25 seconds :3rd_place_medal:
  4. Josh Tarling (Great Britain), +27 seconds
  5. Brandon McNulty (USA), +1:04
  6. Stefan Bissegger (Switzerland), +1:26
  7. Nelson Oliveira (Portugal), +1:31
  8. Stefan Küng (Switzerland), +1:35
  9. Maximilian Schachmann (Germany), +1:38
  10. Mikkel Bjerg (Denmark), +1:43

<>

Results of Women’s Time Trial (32.4KM)

1. Grace Brown :australia: 39:38 :1st_place_medal:
  2. Anna Henderson, Great Britain & NI, +1:31s :2nd_place_medal:
  3. Chloe Dygert, USA, +1:32s :3rd_place_medal:
  4. Juliette Labous, France, +1:41s
  5. Demi Vollering, Netherlands, +1:51s
  6. Lotte Kopecky, Belgium, +1:56s
  7. Kim Cadzow, New Zealand, +2:08s
  8. Elisa Longo Borghini, Italy, +2:11s
  9. Audrey Cordon-Ragot, France, +2:13s
  10. Christina Schweinberger, Austria, +2:14s

<>

The roads were wet and very slippery, too many crashes and hold-ups gave unexpected results.

3 Likes

Josh 27 secs off with a puncture…

2 Likes

This was the predicted result, nothing unexpected at all.

Is BBC iPlayer a bit of a mess? I keep looking for stuff, click on it, and it’s something completely different!

1 Like

Don’t forget the semi finale of chicken fight at 11pm. France vs Great Britain.
Waterloo area, near the Eiffel Tour.

IMG_3066

5 Likes

You seem to get a different result depending on whether you click through directly or on ‘Extras’. Then you flip back and something’s gone!

I’ve been trying to find the women’s hockey and it’s there, but when you select the box, it serves up over >3 hours of TV time, which you then have to jump through to find it.

I’d like to have a look at the USA men playing basketball (today ~4pm?), but I can’t find it anywhere. The hunt is on!!

And of course you can select highlights of something that’s already happened with result long known.

At least Eurosport is giving three choices!

For a change, I’m finding the Official Olympic IOS App to be really useful. The odd glitch here but very useful for once!!

Some news, I could read here in some press:

• 6 Korean swimmers were complaining about their transport to their Olympic village. Long and too hot, the windows could not been open, due to terrorism attack possibility.
  • British athletes complained against the food in the Olympic village. Not enough eggs and meat. So they ordered their own chef.
  • Prince Philip was shocked by a moment during the ceremony, when a painting of Marie Antoinette was shown while a lyrical singer was on the scene

I note the French Catholic church and some Americans are complaining that some parts from the opening ceremony are an insult to their religion.

The scenes in question apparently resembled The Last Supper, a noted event in the story book of their imaginary Lord and of course ‘made real’ by Leonardo’s half decent effort which is apparently what they feel was referenced.

Chap behind the show has said no offence was meant and in fact the irony is that it was intended as a moment of inclusivity, referencing old school paganism.

Why these groups thought a bearded blue bloke covered in fruit and cavorting in front of a larger lady playing hot choons on the decks somehow misrepresented their personal religious sensibilities is beyond me.

3 Likes

What I could read here on that:

„ If the scenes criticized by the bishops are not specifically mentioned, they are probably targeting one of the notable moments of the evening: a painting entitled “Festivity” beginning with the image of a group at the table, in which there were several drag queens, reminiscent of “The Last Supper”, a famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci representing the last meal of Jesus with his apostles.”

Yep, that’s the one. And not a single child rapist in shot!

1 Like

I knew they’d be problems but it’s THEIR opening ceremony and to their credit they stuck to their identity.

2 Likes

I can think of quite a few sportsmen (e.g. footballers) who could learn a lot from the humility shown by Adam Peatty in his post race interview. He came second by the smallest of margins and yet was very honest on how he saw his performance and the manner in which he recognised the winner was very humbling.

2 Likes

Yes and fortunately Qin came nowhere which saved a lot of heat…

1 Like

Aussies doing well, the first week is generally good it’s in the track and field where we fall apart

3 Likes