Paris 2024

Carlos Alcaraz will be glad he had his 3 shredded wheat this morning.
What with him winning tennis singles third round earlier today and due to play men’s doubles semi finals with Rafa Nadal soon.
Should be scintillating.

Watching the women’s and men’s triathlon earlier.
So much respect for these athletes going through over two hours of brutal punishment. Mens gold and ladies bronze.

3 Likes

Not to mention the brutal effluence…

2 Likes

I’ve heard the Seine tastes better than the Thames…

Enjoyed watching HMS Sinky showing the Andorran boat a clean pair of propellers in the first heat of the submarine slalom.

3 Likes

That’ll be the seasoning.

1 Like

It was entertaining for sure. I don’t much like ball sports, but the women’s 7s rugby was excellent.

I can’t really believe they chose that venue. Polluted water and the current should have disqualified it. There are much better places in France to hold a triathlon (or tri-ath-a-lon for our North American readers).

I’m still slightly shocked anyone would have jumped freely into that river. You would have had to tie me and thrown me in. Totally agree could have been staged somewhere on the Mediterranean. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone gets sick, I saw on tv that one of the competitors got themselves “conditioned” by not washing their hands after going to the can. What about everyone one else he came into contact with.

2 Likes

I’d have held it here in Loudenvielle.

3 Likes

My other suggestion for triathlon is that they mix it up a lot more. Make the course distances different from games to games. Sprint, Olympic, Half Ironman, Full Ironman. Flat and mountain terrain alternating. Triathlon gets criticized as being a “fitness contest” with no real strategy. In many races, the leading contenders just swim together, then ride together on the bike, and the winner ends up being the person who drafts the most on the bike so who has most energy left.

1 Like

Is it perhaps more tactical than it appears?

To an outsider it does look like the first two elements are just to be negotiated with as much in reserve for the deciding run. Maybe thst is good enough. Yesterday’s races were both exciting anyway.

At least it is not an event that requires subjective judging. Every Olympics I wonder about those to some degree.

As ever I also watch the MTB and kayak competitions, marvel at the skills and want to have a go! My sea kayak might be tricky on that course, but I think could get round the MTB course. Once anyway.

Bruce

1 Like

I do wonder whether the Woman’s triathlon should have been postponed, there were a lot of cyclists over on the wet roads and cobblestones. A bit sad really, but maybe that comes with that type of event?

1 Like

The blue carpet (gee would’ve loved the contract) was wet and slippery as well. I still would have rather fallen on the road than jump in the Seine. :grin:

5 Likes

You’re right that there is more to it than meets the eye. But it’s really quite rare to see a race play out differently to where the strongest runner in the lead group off the bike surges within the last few km to takes the win.

1 Like

See they’ve now got a couple of blokes beating up women in the boxing.

11 Likes

Still, according to the IOC, it says “female” on the guy’s passport so it’s OK. The TRAs got what they wanted - women being beaten up and humiliated by men in the name of “inclusivity” and “being kind”.

11 Likes

I saw a basket 4 vs 4 women match, Olympic 2024 three days ago.
France vs China. I struggled to identify the Chinese team as women.
They looked like real strong guys. The French girls were looking very tiny.

4 Likes

A picture of that match.

2 Likes

Ok let’s move on from this and get back to what important, the sport.