Paris 2024

“Good moaning…”

3 Likes

I like the commentary on the Big Bash , it is informed, non-condescending , light hearted and you might even like to have a beer with most of them

Posts removed. I have no wish to drift a thread dedicated to sport at the Olympics. I apologise and hope you reconsider, and stay.

2 Likes

I too would be sorry to see you go, and I think so would Richard (given your mutual love of greyhounds etc)

3 Likes

The Forum is many people. Don’t leave because of one.

Bruce

4 Likes

Excellent :1st_place_medal: in the women’s lightweight skulls. Apparently some of the events will be dropped at the next games in the USA in favour of coast rowing. Shame.

1 Like

Fine margins, but the men made tactical mistakes in losing the gold to the Croatian brothers (who won their third gold). They should know how strong the Croatians always finish, and they left it too late to increase their stroke rate, then were panicked into a mistake.

1 Like

Fantastic 3m synchro diving with the Chinese taken much closer than expected by GB (bronze) and Mexico (Silver) who were arguably undermarked.

1 Like

It certainly looked like it. There’s been several terrific photo finishes.

We too

11 Likes

The biggest news of the tournament. With nine Golds, GB has moved above the Aussies in the medals table.

3 Likes

And above France :roll_eyes:

Leon Marchand is the most cited french athlete actually, during the OG .
No other swimmer has won so many medals, since Johnny Weissmuller in Paris in 1924.
Reporting that information, I wonder if Michael Phelps has not won more?

I’ve always thought that the medal table is logically flawed, ranking being determined by number of golds.
You could have a theoretical situation where a team has a single medal (gold) being ahead of a team with 100 silvers.
Equally, I wouldn’t want it to be based simply on total medals either, as the “quality” of the medal should be reflected as well.
Maybe a points system, based on say 3 for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze would be fairer, or even 10 for gold, 5 for silver and 3 for bronze.

1 Like

29/24. But not finished yet.

Does anyone understand what is going on with this strange sailing race?

I think he won more including relays, but less individual medals at a single Games.

Bruce

1 Like

Ranking is based on number of golds, not total medal numbers FR

Yes, but we’re beating the Aussies so I don’t really care! :joy:

Are you sure. Because here they talk only about numbers of medals. And the score is presented by number too.
1 hour ago:

1. Chine : 12 médailles d’or, 7 d’argent, 7 de bronze, 26 au total
  2. USA : 9, 17, 14, 40
  3. Grande-Bretagne : 9, 8, 8, 25
  4. France : 8, 11, 10, 29
  5. Australie : 8, 6, 5, 19
  6. Japon : 8, 3, 5, 16
  7. Corée du Sud : 6, 3, 3, 12
  8. Italie : 5, 8, 4, 17
  9. Pays-Bas : 4, 2, 2, 8
  10. Canada : 3, 2, 4, 9