Paris 2024

All the gold medal winners of the Aussie swim team were given a gold pair of RM Williams boots.

1 Like

Oooh, I do like a pair of RMs

1 Like

Think most people do, my kids are buying me a pair for my 70th in January. They’re between $700-$1,700 here, damn expensive.

3 Likes

Naim green ones ?

1 Like

They are good

Jesus! I got a pair from their Regent St. shop 20-30 years ago and they would have been about £100!

As likely as if all top runners run 100 meters at the same speed…

They are good and you get the wear, they come into the expensive but good value category and they are so very comfortable (once broken in)

1 Like

I’ve been watching the speed climbing this morning, and it’s got me baffled.

The hand and foot grips all seem to have rounded surfaces, if anything, so what keeps the climbers in contact with the wall, when gravity / body mass is trying to pull them off backwards?

Or do they all possess some superpower, not available to us mere mortals? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

They’ll actually reach the finish line before they set off.

1 Like

Surely the maximum height you can reach is largely dictated by the size of your pole?!

There will be a point where you just can’t stretch/launch yourself further from it than physics allows…

1 Like

Based on my school level physics, the maximum height is limited by the running speed.

1 Like

There’s also the physical ability of the perch to restitute the energy.
They should be still a progress on that.
Perhaps one day pole vaulters will still jump 10 meters, if engineers manage to invent a pole that not only restores energy but also multiplies it.

1 Like

Think one more turn…

last scientific and AI related study made on a further path of progress to Deplantis talks about an actual limit of 6.51 m.

He already has the fastest running approach (some more than 37 km/hr, that’s amazing on such a short distance with the stick in his hands) but could still find some margin gains as a some higher grip on his stick (also to change, some longer, some other composition of materials as Sergey Bubka did during his career)

No doubt Duplantis a phenomenal athlete with an extraordinary chill attitude during the competition.

4 Likes

My french AI friend told me it should not be above of 6,56 m.

“You’re gonna need a bigger pole…”

1 Like

Amber Anning who attended my 6th form and who lived and whose family still live two streets from me in Hove qualified for the woman’s 400m final on Friday night after winning a Bronze in the mixed 4x400m relay.

Go on Anna!!!

7 Likes

I don’t believe theres a limit on the length of the pole but it would need to flex at the pivot point in order to give some spring… Mr Newey has some time to kill currently…maybe him and some F1 chums could apply their minds

Must upset a few especially those that were looking forward to a bit of Aussie bashing.

3 Likes