Path to phase out n272

Yes, SPDIF can be either optical (aka Toslink) or electrical via a coaxial cable. The latter uses either an RCA or BNC connector, but use BNC where its available.

You should use the line out phono sockets, and control the volume using the 282. You don’t want two preamps in the signal path.

I don’t know if the system automation via the app will work - I suspect it’s designed for controlling a CD player connected to the 272, rather than when the 272 is a source. The lead costs about £1.50 so it’s easy to get one to try.

Thank you HH. When I (ever) get my hands on a 282 here, I will give that a go!

So, everybody that has a non-Naim streamer/dac always has to walk over to the preamp (or the remote) to adjust the volume? That is something to consider when I can finally go on the market to replace that part of the n272.

I wonder if Brexit has added to export costs to EU? Reportedly many people buying goods from the EU in the past couple of weeks have been unpleasantly surprised by the import duty, payable to the carrier before they will deliver it, completely invisible until that moment as it is not the responsibility of the seller at source.

UK is not part of EU anymore so customs will be applied if you live in EU just like purchasing from US, China or whatever country outside EU. Same goes for those living in UK meaning they need to apply VAT and customs on everything imported to UK.

Then you should be paying ex-VAT prices, with possibly a small loss or gain if there’s any difference. Perhaps there are admin costs that will increase the overall price.

As tomtom kindly pointed out to me; that only applies on new items. Pre-owned items are vat-free and no vat should be added when crossing the border. I doubt that last part and will find out. In the meantime; I am scraping the mainland to find a pre loved 282. No luck so far.

Status of my phasing out project: The budget and my own reasoning have sent me on quest to find a pre owned hicapdr (not difficult) and nac282 (extremely difficult). I will attach my n272 as a source. After which I will audition ndx2 and node2i/hugo. I just realised an ndx2 has no headphone out…so a headline/napsc would have to be added to that option as well. And with the box count… a new rack :slight_smile:

Not true. Pre owned items also apply to VAT and custom regulations when imported between EU and UK both directions. What I see is more and more stores remove VAT on NEW items so you only pay VAT once which is what it should be. UK have a 20% VAT and where I live we have 25% so an added 5%. For second hand products you will no matter what get an increase of around 20-25% depending on where you live when imported meaning the second hand market between UK and EU is more or less killed now.

I just had a call with our customs helpdesk, they confirm that vat will indeed be added to all non-eu items, new or pre-owned alike.

I had a 2-year old NAC272 that failed…went back to the factory. I decided to upgrade all around. Got the NDX2, attached it my existing XPS-DR. Went for the NAC 252 preAmp…powered by my existing NAP 300DR - pushed all of the sound thru my Wilsons. I have been in audio heaven for a few weeks now. It was well worth the upgrade! Sound system and enjoyment went from good to great…really great, depth, soundstage, nuance…Now I need to repurpose or sell my recently repaired NAC272…
cheers,

3 Likes

As others have commented above, VAT and import duties need to be added and, as I understand the situation, any VAT removed from the purchase price. Some commercial sellers on the big auction site are already showing the additional costs, but do not seem to deducting VAT (yet).

I have a brother-in-law in the UK who is a car enthusiast and ardent supporter of Brexit. He was outraged and surprised last week by the extra costs of car parts when he was asked to pay VAT and import duty before he could receive the goods. He plans to write an angry letter to Mr Johnson. I am sure Boris will explain it all to him.

Until the mechanism is actually up and running and various other hiccups have been smoothed out, I will probably refrain from buying any expensive items from the UK until later this year. I am glad my NAC252 arrived from the UK in December.

I am still waiting for some CDs and vinyl that I bought from UK sellers in the first week of January. They were sent promptly and usually arrive in 2 or 3 days. The delay is probably due to general confusion about VAT and import duty paperwork. I hope I don’t have to pay any extra, but the amounts will only be marginal at those price levels.

Nac 252 and Supercap DR on the way (!!), very interesting to see how the n272 will hold up as streamer/dac.

4 Likes

I am not a very emotional person, and maybe it’s the times we now all live in, but wow. It’s hard to describe the complete new sonic world I have just entered. I was preparing for a slight noticeable difference going to 252/supercapdr. English is not my native language and I am in no way a hifi-critic, so does it suffice to say that the difference made me weak in the knees? First thing I said was asking my wife how I could have not have this years ago, we have been missing out!

Now to dismantle everything and order a Quadraspire rack…my Ikea Algot wall rack is not deep enough for burndy cables, a minor setback.

I will call the dealer tomorrow to swap the n272 for an nd5xs2.

6 Likes

Fantastic to hear you are so pleased with the 252 Supercap DR combo! :clap:

1 Like

Thanks! Don’t forget the apparently well performing 272 streamer/dac and 250dr in this synergy :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a call with the local dealer at my new home and we have agreed to swap the n272 for a nd5xs2 and tackle my rack “problem” by ordering a Quadraspire VT2.

Happy days!

Listening to Bill Evans in the black forest right now. Only he is not…he is in our living room!

Hi Steven, I’m very pleased to hear your satisfaction. My 252 also is on its way. My 282 sold a couple of days ago. :wink:

With a 252 don’t you think that an NDX2 would be more appropriate?

1 Like

Great Damiano, congrats! And you have a Supercap Dr as well if I remember correctly right? Very interesting to hear if your step from 282 to 252 is equally rewarding. Greetings!

1 Like

Yes, I already have a SCDR!!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes! Budget at the moment however doesn’t. So the question was left: Chord with node2i or Nd5xs2. The board of the nd5 is newer then the n272, same eco-system, so not a real choice when auditioning is not possible. A good trade in deal on the n272 also helped the decision making process.