Perfect speakers to NDX 2 + Supernait 3?

Heard the Pure Audio Project at the Leamington Hifi, took some effort to not go straight home and cash in the pension :grin:

If you liked Pure Audio Project, also check out Spatial Audio models, another open baffle design. I own a pair, love 'em.

They are superb ā€¦ I have never heard a speaker with such sultry, velvety mids and wonderful bass from the 4 X 15" woofers. Without a doubt my end game speakers.

Me too, never heard through a speaker like that and this with some Class D amp, weā€™re not alone by the way

1 Like

@Analogmusic, Actually if one just moves the HCDR to the left itā€™ll be fine. The HCDR has itā€™s transformer in the front middle, and the SN3 has itā€™s transformer far right in itā€™s chassis. At least thatā€™s how mine is and I get zero hum or noise.

2 Likes

Iā€™d suggest PMC Twenty5.23s but your room might be able to take itā€™s bigger brother the 5.24s. Speakers are the hardest thing to match but as has been said above, the SN3 will work with a range of speakers. Nice ā€˜problemā€™ to have.

I really enjoy my Spendor A7ā€™s. Would expect the D-Line 9.2ā€™s would take it to another level.

2 Likes

I have the same set up and use the Spendor D7.2s which sound incredible but my room is considerably smaller than yours. The Supernait 3 will power the D9.2s absolutely fine.

ā€œI quizzed Philip on this, he said he had designed the D9.2 and D7.2 to be an easy 8ohm load. But just in case, I also used my trusty old Naim NAC32.5/Hicap/2x NAP135s (fully factory refurbished, of course!), which should have more than enough heft, should the Meishu be found lacking. Source was the Audio Note TT3/Arm2/Io1 fed through an S9 transformer and into a Puresound P10 valve phono stage when used with the Naim. Also on hand was the Audio Note CD4.1x.ā€

ā€œWhatever I threw at the D9.2s, they took in their stride. They were detailed, dynamic, subtle, pacey and free from obvious nasties. They just did it all superbly well and earned a place in my affections. But if the recording is flawed, donā€™t expect them to hide it.ā€

But they will have to make you happy, everyone is different and I can only let you know my thoughts but I have used PMCs ProACs and the Spendors were my favourite which is why I bought them.

2 Likes

What was driving the MBLs before? Is it a lack of power, a mismatch or maybe even just a setup issue?

Iā€™m interested in this setup as well once the crisis is over etc. Are the Spendors a good all-rounder for varied musical tastes?

I had an integrated MBL amplifier. I think the setup is correct, it just seems those fancy speakers donā€™t like my Naim stuff.

By the way - another Yeti???

1 Like

I personally think so, they are the best speakers I have heard with naim gear in the price range. I find that proac speakers are too bright for my liking and pmc seem to be too clinical. Of course all speakers sound different to everyone but I would say that my upgrades will be around the speakers rather than the speakers themselves. I havenā€™t got a huge room and find they arenā€™t picky for positioning. I also listen to all genres of music.

1 Like

Thanks! Pretty much my limited experience with them as well.

2 Likes

Yes, I picked up the name in 1979, It seemed easiest to adopt it.
You may be right about the mismatch, I hope not as Iā€™d planned to try MBLs if I ever get a room that will give them the space to work. Iā€™ve only heard the 101s at Munich and liked very much what I heard but that was from files MBL brought along, when a visitor produced a CD the system did rather emphasise the older recording quality at the expense of the musical content. I canā€™t stretch to 101s but thought to maybe audition 120 or 116s. There are a few other omnis to investigate, Shahinian are known to work with Naim but the Obelisk s a bit current hungry for a supernait, Iā€™ve heard Hawks running off an Atom but Arcs might be more sensible. Duevel and German Physics are more sensitive than MBLs but Iā€™ve heard neither so no idea if theyā€™d suit a supernait. Getting more conventional speakers to image across a wide area can be more challenging though Iā€™ve managed it with some Thiels so I know it can be done, with precise positioning.

Thereā€™s a reason MBL always show their speakers with MBL amps. They need lots of power that MBL amps have.

1 Like

In my view considering the room aesthetic and the seating arrangementsā€¦the speakers need a much more powerful amplifier.

With conventional speakers @YetiStockholm might lose the aesthetic of those MBL speakers in his / her room

But of course we hope that @YetiStockholm is able to audition choices in that room

Good luck!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a stunning room, if the speakers are under powered , I would perhaps think of boosting the power to the speakers and keeping them.

2 Likes

Sorry to duplicate your post , the room looks wonderful and the speakers are at ear height , it needs a power amp adding, I would suspect a 200 would be too close to the Supernait so I would think a NAP 250 would be the better choice

Focal: Wide range to choose from, easy to drive, work well at low volume and I guess easy to get hands on in Sweden?

S