Pics ‘From the Listening Position’

Looks very relaxing and I’m sure the music sounds superb. Don’t let any of the comments you’ve received put you off posting any more photos in future :+1:

4 Likes

Wonderful - last Wednesday

6 Likes

The cheap coffee table is an Ercol

1 Like

17 Likes

Top album being played there!

2 Likes

Bought an extra level to accommodate my Audioquest cd transport. Listening through headphones via my V1 DAC feed straight from my Core which I’ve temporarily moved to the rack while my NDX2 is in hospital.

24 Likes

What peak(s) were involved and how did it go?

1 Like

“DIY open baffle horn speakers Radian Beryllium midrange/tweeter, 2x12 and 2x15" for bass per speaker”.

Have you written about these on the forum?

Were they made from a kit, or did you design them?

Until I get a 332 or at least a 282 upstairs on the main system, I’ll just post pics with one of my co-listeners downstairs.

24 Likes

Very nice. And that’s the longest cat I’ve ever seen… :grinning: :black_cat:

9 Likes

Hi.

No, I have not made a thread about these. A friend of mine have made them from scratch.
The horn is a TAD TH4001 clone. Midrange driver is a 4" Radian beryllium.

They are built at a local furniture maker. They live in the living room and need to look good.
The width of the horn determine the overall width of the speaker. I guess the bass system can be a little narrower .
We thought of having the horn outside the box, but decided that it does not as good compared to the final design. This is more pleasing to the eye, imho.

In theory the slot load open baffle should not work. But it does in reality when you combine different drivers with various FS and a serial filter. It seems to help to have larger cone area. Larger drivers help in other areas too. You get lower fluctuations and lower distortion.

Crossover frequence in 1200Hz. (I have said 1000 earlier, but I was wrong).
They are active driven. I use a Motu DAC with a FabFilter Pro X-over with some DSP up to 400Hz.
I will mount a TAD tweeter on top. Thinking about the design on this. I can be massive ash (CNC milled in the lower part and watercut stone on the top. Or massive, black anodized aluminium?

One of the prototypes had an tweeter under the midrange horn, but at the time of the build I did not had a small and high quality tweeter that could fit. The grey front parts are removable, so it can be installed in the front if I need.

Earlier stage. Did not like this design. Too bulging.

First prototype. It played really good in 12mm poplar plywood. Midrange was ALE midrange. (exotic compression driver from Japan).

At the carpenter.

Bass drivers for two speakers.

Edit. Lots of typo.

22 Likes

Ready for my custom commission “Iconic restomod” speakers. Coming very soon (finally).

XPS-DR, HiCap DR, and Plixir Elite BDC 19V/4A (for the Nucleus Plus) are hiding inside the cabinets.

29 Likes

Lovely cabinet, is it a vintage piece?

2 Likes

Music now - dCS/D’agostino/Kudos.
Movie later - Anthem/Sony/Martin Logan.

Now for some wine :wine_glass: Have a good night folks.

32 Likes

Nothing changed since my last post - but such a sunny day, drawing lines across the room, made me feel inspired to “point’n’shoot” with my phone.

39 Likes

Like the view :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Our main goal was Khan Tengri from the north side, passing over Chapayev. Before arriving at Khan Tengri we stayed in another side area of the Inylchek glacier for about a week of climbing and getting used to altitude. Two unnamed peaks were climbed by the team. They were about 4-5000m. Maps were a bit unprecise…

On Khan Tengri we reached camp 3 and stayed there three days with poor weather (windy and some snow) before heading down again. When arriving in base camp the weather was perfect for a summit attempt, but of course we were not in position. The game of climbing big mountains. :blush:

Picture shows Khan Tengri and Chapayev, from Wikipedia.

Excuse this detour from pictures from listening position, but Jim Dogs question sparked some good memories!

17 Likes

I so wanted a pair of Grey Fact 8 Sigs but just could not get the business case approved by my wife.

4 Likes

I deeply appreciate the compliment, but, no. It’s recently purchased from, of all places, Costco.

Granted it is all poplar-ply with acacia veneer (or vice-versa) and weighs 130lbs empty. I’m pleased with it and impressed at the build quality. Not a single piece of HDF/MDF in the whole thing and all doors/drawers are soft-close.

2 Likes

Well it’s looks great. :+1:t2:

2 Likes