Pics ‘From the Listening Position’

Amazing night!

4 Likes

Just curious: Do Dream Theater fill the O2?

I’ve never been there, but it seems like a massive venue.

1 Like

It wasn’t Full, Full, as there were closed off sections. I would say a little more than 3/4’s of the Arena were open and that was full.

1 Like

First time in a while I’ve sat to listen in here.
During the auditioning process for the new speakers on the main system I’ve avoided listening to this one, in an effort to not confuse my ears with the Linn sound I am so fond of.
Sitting here now listening to David Sylvian: Secrets of the Beehive I am still just as delighted by them😊

19 Likes

I’m experimenting with this super cheap IKEA Kallax. Mrs HH is away and when she’s back and if she likes the style, rather than the colour, which is too dark, I’ve seen something of the same size made in solid wood by Urban Editions that looks rather nice.

This the Urban Editions record rack I’m thinking of. Not for records, but books and stuff.

21 Likes

I think this looks nicer, better seperation between the unity and the lamp. Things don’t looked so squashed together.

Darker looks good to me
Fits in with rest of decor (and speakers).
Overall big improvement
David

1 Like

Kallax is good, we have a number pieces of it.

But that Urban Editions rack looks lovely and smart.

Mind you, do really like your Ercol table.

DG…

2 Likes

…no, go back to the Ercol, more style, and lighter colour suits your room…

…and I do not like the so called “hair pin” legs, already dated in style…

The Ercol is timeless…

And you were very pleased with it…

2 Likes

How about this version? The Ercol is lovely, but we have a set of three pebble tables in Light, in the same room. It’s all a bit too much.

7 Likes

Worth looking at Pickawood too.

Basically a sturdier Kallax, and you can configure to exact dimensions. Pricer than IKEA, but cheaper than Tylko.

To my eye, these are just boxes with off-the-shelf steel legs screwed on the bottom. Perhaps they are made of nice wood, but they are devoid of style. I would keep your old Ercol. Maybe stick a floor standing lamp behind it if there’s not enough room on the table.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of urban editions and they will do custom stuff with some lead time. Super helpful people I’ve found. I have a standard unit with my vinyl and my turntable on top of it and a custom unit for my big samsung TV.

I agree with ChrisSU, just a box on rather odd brackets, no style here…

The Ercol is a timeless classic and pleasing design, and suits your room (as much as I have seen)…hard to find anything better I would say…

But, all this is just a matter for you only, and there is no reason for you to take any account of anything I might have to say about your room furnishings, I simply think the Ercol is a fine design, and suits your lamp, and why would you change?

Here I am surrounded by ‘skip diving’ finds, scavenged stuff from family cast-offs and change, and selling up… all a muddle and on the cheap. Take no notice of me…

My vote is for this one. The rectangular shape will suit the Atom and it allows for some books or other stuff to be stored. Also the light colour is better for modestly sized rooms.

It looks to me like a slow comeback to a ‘proper’ audio rack. The previous table was elegant and did the job. And Kallax, so as Lack, is light, rigid and non resonant, has lower mass and is perhaps better for audio than any one in solid wood… But my opinion only.

1 Like

I much preferred the Ercol unit, which was so elegant. I wonder what Mrs HH will say?

2 Likes

I think I know what Mrs HH will say! The thing with the Ercol is that I’m rather attached to it and know I’d regret selling it. It’s a one-off prototype rather than a mass produced piece of tat. Why do I waste time fiddling? But then, unless you try something you don’t know. The Urban Editions rack costs £800, so I’d have to be absolutely sure. And I don’t think I am. It’s a lot of money for what is, as some have said, a box on legs.

2 Likes

I think that your Ercol table looks nicer

1 Like

Hi Nigel

There is also this similar product with Oak instead of metal legs.

DG…

11 Likes